Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
*Sigh*....  The NRA is in the news (again!)... >

*Sigh*.... The NRA is in the news (again!)...

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

*Sigh*.... The NRA is in the news (again!)...

Old 07-20-2019, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default *Sigh*.... The NRA is in the news (again!)...

More bad news (again) for the NRA. Man, the left wing media (CNN, etc...) just won't let it go, and continues and continues to hound the NRA.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/19/polit...ign/index.html

Somebody, somewhere, ...anywhere... has got to do something to get "His Eminence... His Royal Highness..." Wayne LaPierre to step down before he destroys the NRA from within! Mega-rich, multi-millionaire, {expletive} is so far out of touch with the common man, and everything gun owners stand for, it's ridiculous!

I've sent letters to the NRA, emailed them, posted on various comment blocks on various sites, that WLP should resign for the good of the NRA. And lastly, I won't renew my membership until he is gone.

The other org called GOA (Gun Owners of America) is looking more and more appealing to me. What do you think?
Old 07-20-2019, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

I would definitely want to know more information and will admit this is a curious turn of events. But, CNN isn't very trustworthy as a news source. In the story, it sounds like some things were being done that weren't consistent with the core mission and values. I don't understand why AMcQ is paying North or providing a wardrobe for LaPierre and paying for his trips to Italy. None of these expenses seem appropriate. If you add in the high legal bills, etc., it looks like there should be an independent audit conducted for at least the last 3-5 years to see exactly where the money is being spent and if it's authorized and appropriate. I'm not going to give up my membership but do have some questions for different Directors on the Board of Directors. Cleaning up the mess and problems seems like a more effective way of protecting our 2A rights than simply jumping ship. I realize this may sound denigrating to you Butch but it honestly isn't meant that way. You raise some very serious issues and questions that should all be addressed. And that means members who remain members and demand action and results. This is JMHO but it is my honest opinion.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

The Communist New Network
Can NOT be believed.

Butch,
You not re-uping is exactly the response they wanted.
Don't let them deceive you.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I understand guys. I do (and will always) support the 2nd Amendment - believe me! It's just that there are way too many issues with the NRA right now that constantly make me go, "Hmmmm..."

The NRA is still the "big dog" in the fight for the 2A. Right or wrong, good or bad, WLP (and his mega-rich lifestyle or not), etc...etc... The NRA has been around since the opening phrases of Genesis in the Bible (ha ha... just sayin' ). But then, some of the other orgs do a good job as well in fighting for our 2A rights.

NRA
Founded 1871. Membership: Approx. 5.5 Million.

GOA
Founded 1976. Membership: Approx. 2 Million.

2nd Amendment Foundation (SAF)
Founded 1974. Membership: Approx. 650,000.

This is only a look at "The Big 3" that I quickly looked up. You can definitely see how powerful the NRA is, in spite of all their recent troubles. It's a clear example of that quote in the article...
"But it's the membership that scares congressman and senators. You get on the wrong side of that and you're f-----."
Old 07-21-2019, 12:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO this is little more than a messy divorce between AMc, and the NRA. Their relationship has ended and the two are headed to court. No organization is without dirty laundry and we're getting a look the NRA's now. To be honest it all seems pretty typical to me. Trips, fancy clothes and extravagance? Not exactly shocking is it?

I'm not saying bury your head in the sand. But read and remember without making demands,
Old 07-21-2019, 01:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Unfortunately even effective non profits like the NRA turn into big business over time. The bigger they get the more powerful they become and the management gets to wield all that power including raising their own compensation and benefits. My line in the sand became the incessant mailings asking for more money along with reminders to renew my membership months before it was due to expire. Getting back to the Butch's original post....there probably wouldn't be a need for all the money blitzes if the management weren't getting rich by running the NRA. I wonder what percentage of the revenue coming in goes to actually protecting our second amendment rights. I'll send in my membership again because of the importance of the job they are supposed to be doing but am getting to the point when I might just say sorry sick of the BS mailings.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 07-21-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I will not drop my membership because of a family squabble inside the NRA. It is because of the NRA that we have not lost much of our right to own firearms. They started the hunter safety classes before the game agencies sponsored them, they created the Eddie the Eagle program and took it into our schools to promote gun safety, they have training schools for police firearms instructors and more. What did the Johnny come lately outfits do, what is their history of success? Dropping out of the NRA because of this squabble is tantamount to ditching a life long friend who was your best man at your wedding because he is dating a girl you can't stand. All of us owe a debt of gratitude to the NRA for decades of support of our 2nd amendment rights and to drop out because of what is happening now, without even knowing the whole story would make a person a "fair weather friend" who bails when the going gets a little hard and rather than supporting their friend they bail, there for giving the politicians the idea that the NRA is not longer strong, therefore giving them the idea they can pass gun control laws. Dropping out is shooting your self in the foot, no pun intended.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:39 PM
Dominant Buck

While I agree with you OT I wonder why they insist on changing their fund raising tactics. Is it bad advice or hiring the wrong financial firm to regulate the money coming in? I believe in the mission but do question that leadership and some of their decisions. I wonder who is really calling the shots?
Old 07-21-2019, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

If you look a little further, the other 2 have their issues as well. I'm not trying to excuse bad behavior at the NRA. It should be called on the carpet. People should be calling their reps and the BOD at the NRA and asking for a full accounting and audit. I won't quit the NRA but I do reserve the right to ask questions.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have always gone home from the dance with the lady I went with. It will take a lot more than what I know about the disagreement for me to ditch the lady! There is something that is sadly missing in today's world, and that is loyalty. It seems that today when the going gets tough, instead of the tough getting going, they cut and run!

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-21-2019 at 03:26 PM.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service