Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Another Obamanation trashed

Old 12-29-2018, 11:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Another Obamanation trashed

Trump Administration Smashes Obama’s School Discipline Policy

Posted by: admin in Freedom News, Politics December 23, 2018 52 Comments 4,115 Views

In yet another sign that America is truly being made great again, officials from the Departments of Education and Justice announced Friday that it was curtains for the Obama-era policy forcing teachers to treat minorities differently when they break the rules in school. After a federal panel recommended scrapping the policy because of the role it played in the Parkland shooting, officials quickly implemented the recommendation, which has been widely criticized as permitting black and Hispanic students to get away with wildly inappropriate behavior nationwide.

“Our decision to rescind that guidance today makes it clear that discipline is a matter on which classroom teachers and local school leaders deserve and need autonomy,” said Education Secretary Betsy DeVos. “I would encourage them to continue to implement discipline reforms that they believe will foster improved outcomes for their students.”
President Obama’s Education Department unrolled the guidance in 2014 after racial groups complained that minorities were being unfairly targeted by school discipline policies. Under the Obama rules, schools were urged not to suspend or expel students of color unless there was simply no other option. The guidance rules were implemented after reports found that black students were far more likely to be the subject of disciplinary actions than white students. But the decision to take action ignored the most obvious implication – i.e., these students were simply breaking the rules more often.

Ah, but that’s something you simply cannot point out in PC America. If there is a racial imbalance in society that disfavors minorities, the ONLY appropriate response is to cry “white supremacy.” The ONLY appropriate response is to meddle with the punishments – be it arrests, imprisonments, or suspensions – until the playing field is even. If that means letting wrongdoers…wrongdo…then that’s just what it means.

Thankfully, Betsy DeVos’s leadership at the DOE is putting our country back on sane ground. The decision to roll back the 2014 guidance comes on the heels of the Title IX reform which will restore due process to our nation’s college campuses.

President Obama and his flunkies spent eight years turning this country into a social justice experiment. The Trump administration is now doing everything possible to right a badly flagging ship.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Next, we need to bring back Corporal punishment. Bring back the paddle.
Simply expelling the problem ****, isn't enough.
That's a vacation to most of these little heathens.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:23 PM
Typical Buck

I think treating everybody the same is the right thing to do. I don't think corporal punishment is the way to go though. If it gets to that level, I think that kid should have already been expelled.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I disagree, when I was in school it was the paddle that kept things from getting out of hand like today where the have to beg kids to behave. We never had a stabbing or a shooting and I never heard of any other schools surrounding ours having one either. In addition to that, if you cot a couple of whacks in school, you got a couple more when you got home because parents didn't stand in the way of keeping order in school..
Old 12-30-2018, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elkman30 View Post
I think treating everybody the same is the right thing to do. I don't think corporal punishment is the way to go though. If it gets to that level, I think that kid should have already been expelled.
For some kids, a vacation is right up their alley. Their parents probably care.
For others, the public shaming of getting the paddle is what will set them to right.
And for others, nothing will work because they simply son't care. They lack the ability to understand their actions were wrong.

We cannot save all of them, but we can keep a few from the dark side.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those were some stupid guidelines if ever there were any! It doesn't matter what color they are, the punishment should be the same. The paddle works for most people, not so much for a few. To borrow a liberal's over-used word, those guidelines are "racist!"
Old 12-31-2018, 02:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
I disagree, when I was in school it was the paddle that kept things from getting out of hand like today where the have to beg kids to behave. We never had a stabbing or a shooting and I never heard of any other schools surrounding ours having one either. In addition to that, if you cot a couple of whacks in school, you got a couple more when you got home because parents didn't stand in the way of keeping order in school..
That was the world I grew up in. Kids learned respect for authority pretty quickly. My kids generation follow the give timeouts methods which at least from the way I see it, doesn't work. Their kids learned respect but only when it suits them.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree.... Paddling in schools was just getting phased out when I entered kindergarten in the early 60's. Mr. Van Stone (principal back then) had a blue paddle for boys and a pink paddle for girls. But he never used them or legally couldn't use them anymore, but he still held onto them as a threat for a few years.

Growing up in a small town in upstate New York, everybody knew everybody. The school knew your parents, the teachers knew your parents, the principal was also on the same volunteer fire dept as your dad! In other words, you couldn't get away with ANYTHING back then! If you and your school friends got into trouble, your mom would know what you did, where you did it, who else was involved, and even how you tried to cover it up! She'd then call your dad at work and tell him all about it! The school wouldn't punish you too bad, but you just knew that you had an a$$ whippin' waiting for you when you got home from school!!
Old 12-31-2018, 06:40 AM
Spike

Parents need to get off there dead asses and do parenting, not pushing thee kids away to the streets or computers--- bring back the switch and woodshed, hard work for those little angels would be a plus also, I still remember those hot days haying !!!!!!! I did not even have the energy to get into trouble
Old 01-03-2019, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't have a problem with corporal punishment. I didn't see much of that in the school system where I went to school 1962-1974 . . . but I think it happened. Everyone knew of the paddle kept by the principal of the school and dreaded getting paddled. I honestly don't know that I ever heard of anyone receiving swats from the paddle. My guess is that the intimidation factor alone kept many, many students in line. That is one way to look at this issue. If meting out harsh corporal punishment to one child keeps 99 other children on the straight and narrow path, even if that one child is somewhat marred by the experience . . . let's not forget the discipline benefits experienced by those other 99 children!

I was thinking the other day about something I did and that was hyper careful and observant of rules. It had to do with returning a purchased item from Amazon. I went out of the way to do all the right things to return that item, wrapping it up more securely than as it had been shipped to me. I do that about a lot of things. I can imagine this carefulness was induced in my by that kind of discipline I received as a kid -- keep in line, don't risk the paddle! This keeping in line did NOT, as far as I know, thwart and kill my creativity, did not stunt my emotional growth.

I want to return to that 1 versus 99 topic I brought up tangentially above. I think it makes a whole lot more sense to be thinking about the 99 and not the 1; to be thinking about the 90 and not the 10; to be thinking about the 85 and not the 15. In many cases our media and our citizens find policies or actions of government unacceptable because even 1 person is harmed! We have to ban semi-automatic rifles because some people get killed by wackos in notorious mass killings (albeit, possibly the number of people killed in such mass killings is less in number than the people killed drowning in public swimming pools in the US every year -- does that mean public swimming pools ought to be outlawed? Maybe!). If the requirement is that a policy is 100.0000000% effective with no failed cases, there aren't going to be policies.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service