Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Guards at every public gathering >

Guards at every public gathering

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Guards at every public gathering

Old 10-29-2018, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

I had to follow a few sub-links to the original reporting. They said Saturday night, October 26th.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Dan Bongino made an important note today. Every church or place of worship at a minimum needs at least one person or persons standing watch at the entrance to these places and warn folks and/or take action when an attacker is entering. Churches are the one place where everyone's eyes and attention are facing forward while the entrance to the place in in the rear. It makes common sense and I know my church does this but I'm not sure if it's the entire mass.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ranger77 View Post
this is actually a very valid and good topic

why do we have the problems we have in society right now when a very few go violent ?

I still say removing mental institutions and lax prosecution and jail time leads to this - so many are repeat offenders and often the mass shooters are known mentally ill ..... but Democrats will fight to the end that those mentally ill should roam the streets freely and that prison isn't solutions and slap on the wrists are

they're wrong and IMO what we see right now is the fruits of what liberals demanded
Some would say this problem goes back to the time of Ronald Reagan when he took away federal funding for some institutionalized people. Is that true? I don't know, but I have heard it said before. The idea is that some people who were marginal but institutionalized were released as a cost cutting measure. Some of those marginal people did not manage their lives well.

Maybe part of the problem is that in our society we cannot censure others? Heaven help you today if you publically shame someone for having a baby out of wedlock. Heaven help you today if you publically call someone out for not doing something right. Could it be that this cultural trend of NOT shaming others is a bad thing and leads to behaviours going off the deep end? As part of this public censuring thing, there probably was an effect that others watched these potentially crazy people more closely. Could it be that in the past we were much less mobile, that our neighbours knew what was going on with us better than today, and this in itself acted to keep us more constrained?

In the past, many more people lived in rural areas. We were not very mobile, comparatively speaking. We paid attention to what family members said to us, and our families were less dispersed. If you live in a rural area, there is a limited number of people you can kill because people do not congregate in such large numbers! The biggest church in my home town could hold about 100 people at maximum. How many people can you kill in that church? How many people can you kill in a church that can hold 5,000 people?

Maybe some of these things are related? I don't know. I don't fret too much about these things. I still think the risks are less than getting killed in a car accident commuting to work on the highway. It was definitely a greater risk of getting killed while I was driving out in the dawn darkness with heavy rains the day I left to drive from Texas out to Colorado to go elk hunting two weeks ago.

That makes me think of an interesting question. Are more people killed by these sorts of events today than were killed formerly in industrial accidents and industrial failures? Car accidents before we had seat belts? Mining accidents. Construction accidents?
Old 10-29-2018, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
I had to follow a few sub-links to the original reporting. They said Saturday night, October 26th.
Have too admit that I was surprised to actually find The National Review story at Yahoo News today...

As for Major TV Networks... Crickets... Should add that I don't have cable/satellite, so what I consider to be a "Major" network may differ from others...

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 10-29-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mental Health care is something that our country has struggled with for a long time. Many other countries simply lock them up and basically throw away the key. The Fed started to get into mental health hospitals back in President Kennedy's time. Prior to that, states ran mental health hospitals. President Kennedy was essentially federalizing mental health hospitals but he was assassinated before his entire program was implemented. President Carter signed legislation in 1980 to shore up funding for President Kennedy's program but President Reagan cut that funding in an omnibus bill in 1981. Although President Reagan could have argued against that part of the omnibus bill, he didn't, having been advised (some say incorrectly) that he was providing mental health patients more rights while cutting government costs. Ironically, the Dems controlled the House in 1981 and the Republicans controlled the Senate. So it was a bi-partisan bill although technically, all spending bills have to originate in the House.

There has been a lot of research and documentation that shows when mental health hospitals were essentially closed, many of those MH patients ended up in jail and/or prison. Some say it's cheaper to house MH patients in MH hospitals while others think prison is apparently the way to go. Each of our 50 states is legally able to operate MH hospitals but most states tend to spend their money on other things in the budget. Both parties do this so nobody has a right to point fingers on this subject. It's ironic that some places like San Francisco will spend some exorbitant amount like $37K+ per mentally ill citizen in their city yet don't invest any of that money in improved MH services. State laws could use some upgrades but a lot of the time, it's cities, counties and states deciding that MH facilities have a lower spending priority. I'm not saying none of those entities have MH facilities. They do. But it's painfully obvious that there simply aren't enough facilities or capacity to meet the demand. In a way, it's kind of like that old Mr. Goodwrench commercial--You can pay me now or pay me more later.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

On the professional side of this, that's true. There simply isn't enough bandwidth in the MH system in my state. In my county, their capacity is the same as 30+ years ago and the need for it has definitely increased.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

The needs have increased and the facilities have decreased. They have closed many state run treatment facilities for the mentally ill over the last decades in PA.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a 1984 article reprint which sheds a lot more light on the decision back then and who pushed for it. No offense to my lawyer friends on here but some of the civil libertarian lawyers along with psychiatrists helped push the MH cuts in the name of freedom and reform.

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/10/30/s...nts-began.html
Old 10-30-2018, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wait, who said it was their own fault?

Can you quote who said that?
Old 10-30-2018, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Maryland: I highly recommend "Masada Tactical" training for civilians and professional warriors.

http://www.masadatactical.com/training-programs.html

Last edited by Erno86; 10-30-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: added a few words