Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Gorsuch has been confirmed using the nuclear option >

Gorsuch has been confirmed using the nuclear option

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Gorsuch has been confirmed using the nuclear option

Old 04-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Gorsuch has been confirmed using the nuclear option

NBC News

by LEIGH ANN CALDWELL

The Senate confirmed judge Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court Friday in a mostly party-line 54-45 vote that reflected weeks of bruising political fighting which deepened congressional divides and changed the nature of high court appointments in the future.

Gorsuch, President Donald Trump's first major court nominee, will fill the seat that has been vacant since Justice Antonin Scalia passed away in February of 2016. He will be officially sworn in on Monday morning.

Play NBC's Pete Williams on What's Next for Neil Gorsuch Facebook Twitter Embed
NBC's Pete Williams on What's Next for Neil Gorsuch 0:55
While the final outcome was never in serious doubt, the confirmation process became a bitter battle in the Senate, one that had as much to do with partisan grudges as the nominee himself. When Democrats blocked the nomination on Thursday with a procedural filibuster, Republicans responded by making a dramatic and historic change in the Senate rules to allow Gorsuch and all future Supreme Court nominees to pass through the Senate with a simple 51-vote majority instead of the previous 60-vote threshold.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:52 AM
Banned

...Edited by Champlain Islander....

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 04-07-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: alias for banned member
Old 04-07-2017, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would say more but I think this says it all. If I said what I want to say I would catch a ban.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 04-07-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

And some of the Never Trump people would rather have Hillary in office than Trump. One of these was (is?) George Will. If Hillary were president, she would nominate some leftist activist judge. Instead, now we have a textualist/originalist. That makes me comfortable that my second amendment rights won't be readily thrown away. This is a GREAT day for America.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree. A great SC justice to be sworn in next week. My guns are happy.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

A good start for SCOTUS under this president, and a chance he may get to improve the court yet again before his term is up.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Alsatian View Post
And some of the Never Trump people would rather have Hillary in office than Trump. One of these was (is?) George Will.
I'm pretty sure we have one that posts regularly on this forum as well.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:30 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

Originally Posted by Alsatian View Post
And some of the Never Trump people would rather have Hillary in office than Trump. One of these was (is?) George Will. If Hillary were president, she would nominate some leftist activist judge. Instead, now we have a textualist/originalist. That makes me comfortable that my second amendment rights won't be readily thrown away. This is a GREAT day for America.

We were Trump supporters early on and got a bit of criticism from a couple people.

I'm happy that people seem to think he's doing a decent job. I'm certain that, had Clinton been able to appoint a successor to Justice Scalia, we could kiss the 2nd amendment good-bye. Oh, it would still be there in the Constitution, but it would be toothless.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:38 AM
Dominant Buck

While he hasn't been perfect...nobody could be...this one step all by itself means a huge win for anyone who isn't a liberal. One of Trumps legacies will undoubtedly be swinging the SC into a few decades of right lean if not outright bias. Any Conservative who is not a Trump supporter should be at least be applauding this move backed by the new administration.

Sachiko you did call this right from the beginning.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by sachiko View Post
We were Trump supporters early on and got a bit of criticism from a couple people.
yep, and the criticism seems to hold true. Even you and your husband seem to agree when it comes to healthcare. While Trump is trying to continue the march towards socialize medicine, you two agree we need less government not more.

I'm happy that people seem to think he's doing a decent job. I'm certain that, had Clinton been able to appoint a successor to Justice Scalia, we could kiss the 2nd amendment good-bye. Oh, it would still be there in the Constitution, but it would be toothless.
While for sure Hilary would have picked an anti second amendment person, The jury is still out to say the least on Trump's pick. No one to date has been able to show anywhere where Gorsuch is a strong advocate for the right to bear arms. He isn't a hunter. We don't even know if he has ever exercised his second amendment right. At least I haven't seen anything on this. We have many claiming he is an originalist but his own words are precedent rules the day. Scalia opened the door for more regulations back I think during the Heller case.

We will have to wait and see if Gorsuch picks up the ball on this and runs with it. Just like the man he worked for Kennedy has on many issues he he's been an activist on. Gay marriage found in the constitution after all these years. Let's face it, Gorsuch was the man who influenced a lot of Kennedy's briefs. That doesn't give me comfort that our second amendment rights hang on the word of Gorsuch. So we're left only with prayer that he could act more like Scalia and less like Kennedy or Roberts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.