Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Hornady Pays Employees $61K in Bonuses All in $2 Bills >

Hornady Pays Employees $61K in Bonuses All in $2 Bills

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Hornady Pays Employees $61K in Bonuses All in $2 Bills

Old 06-22-2014, 10:27 AM
  #1  
Giant Nontypical
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,869
Default Hornady Pays Employees $61K in Bonuses All in $2 Bills

Employees at Hornady Manufacturing in Grand Island, Neb. received something special in their paychecks last week.

The ammunition and loading parts manufacturer paid out $61,000 in bonuses – all in $2 bills – to its employees.
Jason Hornady, vice president of Hornady Manufacturing, said the decision was based on a complaint from the City Council that the company wasn’t helping the local economy.
“Two years ago, we caught a lot of flack from the city council and some people in the city of Grand Island for how we don’t support the community and we don’t do things around here, which we disagreed with,” Hornady told Omaha.com.
After hearing the complaints, the company decided to issue employee bonuses in $1 coins with instructions to spend the money around Grand Island.
In 2013, Hornady switched to giving out $2 bills instead of the coins.
“We gave out $48,000 worth of $2 bills and asked our employees to spend that money in town, and if people look at you funny, tell them where you work, and we think that they will notice,” said Hornady.
Hornady said he’s proud to have his company in Nebraska, and proud to be part of the Grand Island community.
The company began in 1949 as a maker of 30 caliber bullets. Today, it employs more than 300 people and make a wide range of ammunition and loading parts for firearms.
nodog is offline  
Old 06-22-2014, 05:05 PM
  #2  
Super Moderator
 
CalHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 17,553
Default

Originally Posted by nodog View Post
Employees at Hornady Manufacturing in Grand Island, Neb. received something special in their paychecks last week.

The ammunition and loading parts manufacturer paid out $61,000 in bonuses – all in $2 bills – to its employees.
Jason Hornady, vice president of Hornady Manufacturing, said the decision was based on a complaint from the City Council that the company wasn’t helping the local economy.
“Two years ago, we caught a lot of flack from the city council and some people in the city of Grand Island for how we don’t support the community and we don’t do things around here, which we disagreed with,” Hornady told Omaha.com.
After hearing the complaints, the company decided to issue employee bonuses in $1 coins with instructions to spend the money around Grand Island.
In 2013, Hornady switched to giving out $2 bills instead of the coins.
“We gave out $48,000 worth of $2 bills and asked our employees to spend that money in town, and if people look at you funny, tell them where you work, and we think that they will notice,” said Hornady.
Hornady said he’s proud to have his company in Nebraska, and proud to be part of the Grand Island community.
The company began in 1949 as a maker of 30 caliber bullets. Today, it employs more than 300 people and make a wide range of ammunition and loading parts for firearms.
I think the city council should be voted out for terminal stupidity. A local employer that employs more than 300 people and the city council thinks the company doesn't do anything for the local economy?? Hornady may or may not donate to the city council's pet causes but it's seriously stupid in this economy to front off what is likely a major employer in the area. Grrr....
CalHunter is offline  
Old 06-22-2014, 05:19 PM
  #3  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Looks like stupid goes all the way down to the small city politicians!!!
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 06-22-2014, 07:47 PM
  #4  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: WY
Posts: 2,054
Default

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 View Post
Looks like stupid goes all the way down to the small city politicians!!!
It sure can. We can all wish for a smaller federal government and more local control, but if we don't have any better choices at the local level, just what have we solved?
homers brother is offline  
Old 06-23-2014, 05:19 AM
  #5  
Giant Nontypical
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,869
Default

you guys all get it. Here's the picture, government waits in the wings for the people to empower it sending out a message to the people that they will get from those that have so they can have too.

The problem for this government is there is no abuse of freedom for them to react to. As long as all involved do what they do and for each other no regulation can occur, meaning no government growth and no regulating of freedom away.

Hornady is doing things right by their people and town.
nodog is offline  
Old 06-23-2014, 05:34 AM
  #6  
Little Doe Peep
 
sachiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Japan
Posts: 14,945
Red face

"“Two years ago, we caught a lot of flack from the city council and some people in the city of Grand Island for how we don’t support the community and we don’t do things around here, which we disagreed with,” Hornady told Omaha.com. "

The city council must be a pack of liberals. This company is providing over 300 jobs. What more should they be expected to do?
sachiko is offline  
Old 06-23-2014, 05:35 AM
  #7  
Boone & Crockett
 
falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Comance county, OK
Posts: 11,355
Default

Smart move by Hornady.

In the 50s and 60s the US Navy would sometimes pay the troops in $2 bills. Made local businesses aware of where their money was coming from.
falcon is offline  
Old 06-23-2014, 06:24 PM
  #8  
Typical Buck
 
ckell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 751
Default

We had a business owner here do that once for Christmas bonuses, he just thought it would be cool, nothing along the lines Hornady did it for. But for some time after it was nothing to receive change with two dollar bills at most business you shopped at around town.
ckell is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 03:21 AM
  #9  
Giant Nontypical
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,869
Default

Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Smart move by Hornady.

In the 50s and 60s the US Navy would sometimes pay the troops in $2 bills. Made local businesses aware of where their money was coming from.
I'd be willing to bet they knew this. I know Reagan did and it's the trickle down he wanted.

This is exactly how people vote to limit government and the model of leadership.

Those who have much, much is required and one of those requirements is to lead right. If the company was a role model that didn't include it's employees in reaping the benefits of doing business then the people would not spend that money in town and government would have an opportunity to regulate. It's the real trickle down Reagan gave the nation a chance at. Unfortunately and all to predictably the people abused the opportunity, using his offer of better days to grossly abuse each other because of governments lifted hand. In so doing the opportunity for government to grow was enormous, and which has given us the behemoth we have today.

I do not think this nation will ever get that chance again. What is seen here is what Reagan knew could happen if the people would follow.

Some would say an opportunity could come again under a libertarian view, but that is dead wrong. Government must regulate when abuse occurs to prevent an accelerated collapse. Libertarians would not regulate leaving the people wide open to extreme abuse and the nation in civil war. We're still headed there, but the gross abuse of government coupled with it's high inefficiency slows the collapse way down giving the people an opportunity to do right.

If this Hornady story was common I'd say the country was headed in the right direction, but as we all know, it is not. I wouldn't be surprised if Hornady isn't targeted and consumed by a larger company who does not lead as they are now. I hope not, but "cash being king" is all to excepted these days. For the viewer at home the phrase is an attempt to put a positive spin on the love of money, the root of all sorts of evils. Cash is not king, cash is a tool for either good or evil.
nodog is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 05:07 AM
  #10  
Boone & Crockett
 
falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Comance county, OK
Posts: 11,355
Default

Yep, sounds like the politicians who run Hornady's home town are a greedy bunch.

After basic training i went to the US Naval EOD School at the Naval Powder Factory, Indian Head, MD. While there i was paid in two dollar bills several times.

The Navy continued this practice until at least the late 60s.

The Indian Head merchants hated two dollar bills. Think about it: There is no place in the cash register for two dollar bills: Got to put them under the cash tray with the big bills.
falcon is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.