Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
NRA splits with Open Carry Texas on demonstrations. >

NRA splits with Open Carry Texas on demonstrations.

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

NRA splits with Open Carry Texas on demonstrations.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:27 AM
Little Doe Peep

Red face NRA splits with Open Carry Texas on demonstrations.

Is it really necessary to go around with a rifle strapped to your back?

We had a demonstration like that in the city library here. Library tried to ban guns, judge said no. Legislature than passed statute banning guns in libraries. So now it's not even legal to carry concealed in a library. I agree with the NRA. I wish these narcissistic clowns would give it a break. They're making us all look bad. My opinion of course.

Here's the article from the Wall Street Journal. What do you guys think?

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/0...chipotle-beef/

NRA Splits With Open Carry Texas Amid Chipotle Beef

Article

Comments (20)

By
Reid J. Epstein

Stephanie McDonald and James Franklin buy coffee at the Ground Floor on Wall Street while participating in an open carry demonstration Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013. —Associated Press
The National Rifle Association has another fight on its hands – and this time it is calling out a fellow gun-rights group for being too extreme.

The NRA on Friday posted a 1,400-word unsigned column urging a group called Open Carry Texas to lay off its publicity stunts during which owners of large rifles tote them near and inside stores and restaurants. The nation’s largest gun-rights organization called the carrying of large rifles in public spaces “downright weird” and said the Texas group puts all gun owners’ rights at risk with their actions.

Here’s a sample of what the NRA had to say (italics in the original):

Now we love AR-15s and AKs as much as anybody, and we know that these sorts of semiautomatic carbines are among the most popular, fastest selling firearms in America today. Texas, independent-minded and liberty-loving place that it is, doesn’t ban the carrying of loaded long guns in public, nor does it require a permit for this activity. Yet some so-called firearm advocates seem determined to change this.

Recently, demonstrators have been showing up in various public places, including coffee shops and fast food restaurants, openly toting a variety of tactical long guns. Unlicensed open carry of handguns is legal in about half the U.S. states, and it is relatively common and uncontroversial in some places.

Yet while unlicensed open carry of long guns is also typically legal in most places, it is a rare sight to see someone sidle up next to you in line for lunch with a 7.62 rifle slung across his chest, much less a whole gaggle of folks descending on the same public venue with similar arms.

Let’s not mince words, not only is it rare, it’s downright weird and certainly not a practical way to go normally about your business while being prepared to defend yourself. To those who are not acquainted with the dubious practice of using public displays of firearms as a means to draw attention to oneself or one’s cause, it can be downright scary. It makes folks who might normally be perfectly open-minded about firearms feel uncomfortable and question the motives of pro-gun advocates.

The NRA’s statement doesn’t mention the Texas group by name, but Open Carry Texas has become the target of former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg’s gun control groups, which have used its images as part of a successful campaign to pressure chains like Starbucks and Chiptole to ban or discourage the carrying of guns in their stores. Chipotle last month asked customers not to bring guns into stories, following a guns-rights demonstration at one of its stores near Dallas.

Just this weekend the Dallas Morning News published a photograph from the rally of a woman holding 10-month-old twins in her arms with a rifle strapped over her shoulder. It’s that sort of imagery the NRA has deemed unhelpful.

More In Guns
Poll Shows Why Gun Control Looks Impossible
Hillary Clinton Attacks 'Anywhere, Anytime' Gun Culture
FedEx Shooting and the Debate Over Gun Ownership Laws
White House Proposes Rules on Gun Checks
Seib & Wessel: What We're Reading Thursday

“Using guns merely to draw attention to yourself in public not only defies common sense, it shows a lack of consideration and manners,” the NRA wrote. “That’s not the Texas way. And that’s certainly not the NRA way.”

Open Carry Texas on Monday slammed the NRA, saying the NRA devotes “lip service” to the pro-gun cause without following through.

“The NRA has refused to learn for themselves how Open Carry Texas conducts itself other than what the liberal media and Bloomberg funded gun control extremists have falsely portrayed,” Open Carry Texas posted to its Facebook page. “The more the NRA continues to divide its members by attacking some aspects of gun rights instead of supporting all gun rights, the more support it will lose.”

The NRA’s squabble with the Texas open carry group comes after the NRA has shown itself in recent months willing to negotiate with its sworn nemesis, Mr. Bloomberg’s gun control groups, and didn’t oppose legislation in Louisiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Washington state that prevents some people with domestic violence convictions from legally buying guns.

The NRA’s plea to cool it with the large guns comes after Mr. Bloomberg group’s campaigns served to bait some the open carry groups into showing up en masse with rifles strapped to their backs – legal but not necessarily great for business.

“It was really noteworthy in it’s the first time they’ve come out and said we’re not sure you should carry guns everywhere,” said Shannon Watts, the founder of Moms Demand Action, Bloomberg’s grass-roots gun control group.

NRA officials didn’t respond to requests for comment about its commentary. But Larry Pratt, the executive director of Gun Owners of America, a smaller gun-rights group that tends to be less flexible than the NRA, said toting large weapons into public spaces isn’t helpful to the cause.

“We’re trying to educate the public and I think using things that will be winsome is the best way to go about it,” Mr. Pratt said. “I see open carry as a positive thing and I think if people are interested in educating the public they ought to consider what’s the most effective way to educate the public.”

Get more from Washington, first thing in the morning, by signing up for the Capital Journal Daybreak newsletter: on.wsj.com/CapitalJournalSignup
Old 06-03-2014, 04:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

For decades i have worked hard to further our gun rights. Contributed a lot of money to the cause too. Those idiots in TX who carry long guns into restraunts are lobotomized attention whores.

At least one-third of Americans could care less about gun control and gun rights. The nutcases who open carry in restraunts and other businesses are causing folks to come down on the side of gun control. They are doing grave damage to our gun rights.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

^^^What he said!!!
Old 06-03-2014, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that these kinds of displays are not only unnecessary, but damage the perceptions and support of gunowners held by those who would otherwise be ambivalent toward them.

It's decidedly unprofessional and immature. I believe that we, as a community, deserve a better image than that of wannabe Chechen terrorists.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Virginia you can open carry without a permit or conceal carry with one....I see people open carry ( hand guns ) every now and then and the people around them almost never even notice and when they do nothings said.....I always conceal carry .... But I think carrying an AR or another type of rifle is just an "in your face gesture"....and it doesn't do anything but scare people ..... I think it's wrong and the wrong way to win over public opinion on gun ownership and your 2nd Amendment Rights....
Old 06-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

Sachiko, those narcissistic clowns, are trying to make a point. The 2nd Amendment just says shall not be infringed. So is it your opinion certain infringements are absolutely OK?

Since the big handgun bashing thing back in the 80s back during the time handguns were the kind the evil gun of the time. Kind of like the evil black guns now. Open carry of any kind was not seen as weird or a bad thing. Once the anti-gun people had gotten open carry of handguns ban all around the country, open carry of a Rifle was a non issue. I remember as a kid and beyond people still carried rifles in rifle racks in the back window of their pick-up even at school. That to has fallen to the Gun-control PC crowd. Those guys in Haltom City are trying to make a point about open carry, you can do it with a rifle why not a handgun as well.

We have all fallen for gun control in one way or another. No where in the 2 nd Amendment does it say only this gun or that, when or were, who can or cannot carry. It just says shall not be infringed! But yet we all believe certain people should not be allowed to have a gun, and there are places we should not carry a gun, or why would anybody want a full auto. We all have found ourselves allowing exceptions to the 2nd Amendment. And justify that as common sense, and or safety. The open carry of those guns may seem weird to some, now, but it should not seem weird to the NRA, Who is supposed to be fighting for our 2nd Amendment rights as written in it, without exception. Except to appease the PC crowd.

I find it a little or a bit unusual, but will not go so far as to call it weird and certainly not narcissistic. But I understand there are those who just dislike Texans as I have noted in past post. I might add they are not calling for a militia, and protecting some Bum in the desert using a militia. They are simply exercising a right, expressing that right, and threatening no one, who is using common sense rather than a knee jerk, off the wall, emotional reaction at the sight of a gun in a law bidding citizens hands.

Last edited by ckell; 06-03-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Little Doe Peep

Red face

Originally Posted by ckell View Post
Sachiko, those narcissistic clowns, are trying to make a point. The 2nd Amendment just says shall not be infringed. So is it your opinion certain infringements are absolutely OK?

Since the big hand bashing thing back in the 80s back during the time handguns were the kind the evil gun of the time. Kind of like the evil black guns now. Open carry of any kind was not seen as a bad thing. Once the anti-gun people had gotten open carry of handguns ban all around the country, open carry of a Rifle was a non issue. I remember as a kid and beyond people still carried rifles in rifle racks in the back window of their pick-up even at school. That to has fallen to the Gun-control PC crowd. Those guys in Haltom City are trying to make a point about open carry, you can do it with a rifle why not a handgun as well.

We have all fallen for gun control in one way or another. No where in the 2 nd Amendment does it say only this gun or that, when or were, who can or cannot carry. It just says shall not be infringed! But yet we all believe certain people should not be allowed to have a gun, and there are places we should not carry a gun, or why would anybody want a full auto. We all have found ourselves allowing exceptions to the 2nd Amendment. And justify that as common sense, and or safety. The open carry of those guns may seem weird to some, now, but it should not seem weird to the NRA, Who is supposed to be fighting for our 2nd Amendment rights as written in it without exception. Except to appease the PC crowd.
We have open carry here in Michigan. We also have "shall issue" concealed carry permits.

It's perfectly legal to open carry here, rifle or handgun. It's also perfectly legal here to pick your nose in public. That doesn't mean it's in good taste or good manners for bunch of people to make a public display of it.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

These rifle toting open carry Texans are like homosexual men having sex on a gay pride float. Their in your face tactics are the same.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sachiko View Post
Is it really necessary to go around with a rifle strapped to your back?

We had a demonstration like that in the city library here. Library tried to ban guns, judge said no. Legislature than passed statute banning guns in libraries. So now it's not even legal to carry concealed in a library. I agree with the NRA. I wish these narcissistic clowns would give it a break. They're making us all look bad. My opinion of course.

Here's the article from the Wall Street Journal. What do you guys think?
You asked 2 questions but one was kind of open ended (what do we think?).

Is it necessary? Depends on circumstances. may or may not create more interest, opposition, etc. If it's legal, people shouldn't be getting so upset. Do I look twice at somebody open carrying? Of course. Do I necessarily assume the worst? Depends on their words and actions. So is it really necessary? Doesn't sound like it is for you. does sound like they think it is for them. If they're not breaking a law or committing some kind of crime, I don't get so worked up about it.

Your second question (what do we think?) was more interesting and thought provoking.

On one hand, I think I need to send an email to the NRA (I'm a life member) and tell them to stop pandering to the antis and use their heads instead. If the NRA honestly thinks this is an issue, set up a PRIVATE meeting with the other group and "discuss" the issue instead of providing anti-gun ammo in free press releases. This issue really could have been handled much better and a lot more professionally.

I can agree that people open carrying an AR-15, etc. are likely looking for the attention and perhaps even notoriety. While I may not personally choose to make such a display, I'm not going to disparage them for doing so. Their "display" may reduce crime, cause some criminal to think twice about whether their gun is empty or not and if they happen to have a magazine of ammo close by. For an aspiring bank robber, such a "display" is not a good sign for a successful bank robbery.

I realize gun owners and 2A people can argue both sides of this but I honestly don't think it merited the extra attention and method the NRA used. JMHO but hey, it's my opinion.

Last edited by CalHunter; 06-03-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon View Post
These rifle toting open carry Texans are like homosexual men having sex on a gay pride float. Their in your face tactics are the same.
Easy for you to say OK has open carry of handguns now. Texans want it, but it was blocked in the Senate. The point is it is legal to open carry a long gun, why not a handgun. And see people open carrying any gun should not cause such a reaction. It is a Constitutional Right isn't it?

I am not sure but I think it is illegal for anybody body to have sex in public. And there is no Amendment to the Constitution any where that would allow public sex. Does does say the right to bear arms shall not infringed. A real big difference I think. It is that kind of thinking that divides gun owners, and gun rights people, and allows the anti-gun people to espouse and gain ground with their own BS.

They were harming no one, exercising a Constitutional right. They were threading no one, they were not defending some bum with guns, calling for Militia action in defiance of court orders.

Last edited by ckell; 06-03-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.