Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
U-M to consider big tuition cut for military, undocumented students >

U-M to consider big tuition cut for military, undocumented students

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

U-M to consider big tuition cut for military, undocumented students

Old 07-16-2013, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default U-M to consider big tuition cut for military, undocumented students

Not sure how happy I am to be lumped in with "illegals" but anything to help my fellow vets.

In a move that advocates hope will shape policy at other universities, the University of Michigan this week will consider guidelines that would grant in-state tuition to undocumented students and to military personnel across the nation.
The proposed revisions — posted Monday as part of the Board of Regents’ Thursday meeting agenda — are the first revamp of the university’s in-state tuition policy since 2005. The changes would slash costs by two-thirds for undocumented students and could attract more students who have served the country but aren’t native to Michigan.
Both groups have been lobbying the university to expand its policy for months.
“We hope that other universities in the state follow the University of Michigan’s lead on this ... (and) will find the courage to do what is right,” said Daniel Alejandro Morales, spokesman for U-M’s Coalition for Tuition Equality.
Brian Stone, a U-M Dearborn student who lobbied for changes to the university’s tuition policy for student veterans, hailed the proposal. “This would be a significant victory for veterans, students and the state of Michigan,” said Stone, spokesman for the U-M Dearborn Student Veterans Association.
The guidelines would create a path for undocumented students to pay in-state tuition if they attended middle school in Michigan for two years and then a high school in the state for three years. Students would have to begin at U-M within 28 months of graduation.
The guidelines would also broaden the university’s policy for active duty military and veterans by offering in-state tuition regardless of a student’s residence. Currently, only Michigan veterans qualify for in-state tuition.
“We believe these changes create a clearer path to in-state tuition for several groups of future students, including military veterans and undocumented students who have made Michigan their home,” Martha Pollack, provost and executive vice president for Academic Affairs, said in a statement.
U-M’s annual tuition is about $13,000 for students who live in-state, compared with $39,000 for those who live outside the state.
In Michigan, a few universities offer in-state tuition to undocumented students, including Western Michigan, Wayne State and Saginaw Valley State.

[email protected]
(313) 222-2024</STRONG>

Old 07-16-2013, 07:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Not sure how you feel about providing favoritism to those who break the law? Really? Please don't strain too hard Mickey.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1000 for the vets

-1000 for illegals.

Dumb-masses.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bugsNbows View Post
+1000 for the vets

-1000 for illegals.

Dumb-masses.
My point exactly. I gather from the article that both groups had asked for a chance to pay resident rates. You could argue I guess that everyone should pay the same tuition. But, I imagine the laws are particular on this. (I just don't know what they are lol)

Why "undocumented students should get a deal is a little hard to wrap your mind around. If it was part of some all encompassing amnesty deal, or these undocumented students had served in our armed forces. Then it would at least make some sense. Whether or not you agreed in the end is up to you. I think most would disagree with rewarding unlawful behavior. But it seems this particular set of laws breakers have been enveloped in a special section of their own. Seperate from the ordinary decent criminals who get the short end of the rope the rest of their days.

ATB
Old 07-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Waiving non-resident tuition for veterans isn't really that groundbreaking.

The Texas laws aren't quite as broadly written, but there is an exception for most circumstances, and most of the exceptions apply also to spouses and children.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:51 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Calling an illegal alien "undocumented" is as stupid as calling a drug pusher an "unlicensed pharmacist".
Old 07-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by North Texan View Post
Waiving non-resident tuition for veterans isn't really that groundbreaking.

The Texas laws aren't quite as broadly written, but there is an exception for most circumstances, and most of the exceptions apply also to spouses and children.
I really can't explain Michigans laws on state universities. I gather, they have a certain amount of leeway on what they charge.

ATB
Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

You mean military and "future democrats"?
Old 07-18-2013, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Military deserves a break on tuition .... The ILLEGALS need to be sent home....come back to America the LEGAL way and then pay OUT OF STATE TUITION....WHY are the ILLEGALS more PRIVILEGED then AMERICANS...??????
Old 07-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few of the Universities in Colorado did the same thing for illegal immigrants. The argument for it was that it will help them not live in poverty. I still don't understand how if they have a college degree they could get a job without a verifiable SSN. In the steel industry in Colorado, you wouldn't believe the number of people who get weeded out with a I9 form.

As far as the military, way to go Michigan. Vets don't receive enough privileges after/while serving for our country.