Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Debt Ceiling Debate Twist - Senator McConnell Filibusters Himself >

Debt Ceiling Debate Twist - Senator McConnell Filibusters Himself

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Debt Ceiling Debate Twist - Senator McConnell Filibusters Himself

Old 12-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Debt Ceiling Debate Twist - Senator McConnell Filibusters Himself

Deleted Post

Last edited by bmgillum; 01-01-2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Deleted Post
Old 12-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Well they called his bluff. I too would not have expected that the democrats would be so willing to turn their power over to Obama. I think this speaks more about the Democratic party. They are too willing to bow to the all mighty Obama. They showed they will gleefully bend over for Obama. Why would anyone expect a party to give away their power of the purse to the executive branch?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

You can't belive what you read especially this. I'm not buying this spin.

However, it's unconstitutional. Congress can't do this by a simple vote. It requires an amendment. Remeber back in the 80s congress gave the president the line item veto. A minority of Democrats challenged this in court and it was declared unconstitutional. The constitution says the president may approve or veto the spending bill in its entirety only.

So on this only congress has the power to raise the debt ceiling and it can't be yielded without an amendment.

The even more rediculous thing was Vanhollen's argument why the president can just go ahead a do it on his own, which btw is what Obama will do this time and wait 2 years for the courts to tell him no.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

this is why the supreme court is so important. Obama is going to try and circumvent the constitution, its going to get to the court and all the recent liberals he packed on there will think its a dandy idea. We are 16tril in the hole, this clown is going to spend MORE with no cuts whatsoever.....great plan if youre trying to wreck the country. I used to be on the fence about obama, is he just that incompetent and clueless, or is he doing it on purpose. Its looking more and more like a plan to me
Old 12-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Here is the argument they are going to use. Since the congress passes a spending bill, they have already budgeted this money to be spent and therefore the president can raise the debt ceiling as he sees fit to spend the money congress told him he could spend. It doesn't work that way just like it doesn't work that way in your house. You can budget all you want but when it comes down to it, if you don't have the funds available to you, you can't spend the money abnd must change plans. Obama doesn't have the money available to him if congress doesn't up the debt ceiling.