Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 How you doin? >

How you doin?

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

How you doin?

Old 07-24-2003, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How you doin?

I am certainly seeing it in this area of the sticks. Our county' s unemployment rate currently stands at just over 10 percent. Jobs are leaving every day. It has hit us pretty hard. I' m starting to hear good things, but I' m not seeing them yet. Until I do, I am not getting my hopes up.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do people think they are THAT important that they would be singled out of 280 Million people ?????
I don' t think the decision to cancel any unnecessary expenditures was based upon the idea that someone might get snuffed.

The threat of war can be worse for the economy than war itself. On Sept 12th, next to no one knew what would happen militarily in the next 5 minutes.

The markets and the economy will show great rebounds when the threat of further military escalation and the threat of further terrorism become old news...and probably not until then.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:10 PM
fng
Nontypical Buck

I' m kinda cranked off.

I can' t get my quote from Whittaker Chambers to show up....
Old 07-24-2003, 08:57 PM
Host of Hosts

I work in the Auto Industry and things are up and down as usual. I think the media hype is over blown and I also credit Sept 11 with a big hit on our economy.

Now the big Question is Who Do You Blame??
Old 07-25-2003, 03:15 AM

Not sure who to blame but I can say that my industry (Internet) has gotten hit very hard. We have laid of half of our staff in the past year. Many of my friends who worked for high tech companies here in the RTP are laid off and cannot find work. So in a nutshell it sucks.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

We can' t seem to hire enough guys to fill the vacancies and there is no shortage of customers.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Calhunter so you have no shortage of customers!

Well I myself and my wife are sitting pretty, she works for GEICO and I am a contractor for the SEC in a contract that will run forever, so we are doing pretty good. Now for a lot of other folks in my area things stink, there is a major bank facility that is closing it' s doors in Fredericksburg that will eleminate 600 jobs, my wifes best friend got layed off from Fannie May after working there for 15 years, she did manage to find another job, but the pay does not even appraoch what she had been making. The No. Va. area has taken a true beating due to the dot.com' s going bust left and right, and Va.' s tax base has shrunk drastically due to the economy resulting in huge budget cuts and lay offs of State workers. So over all it sucks right now.[]
Old 07-25-2003, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Taz, your wife works for GEICO? Hmmmm... I may have talked to her on the phone without realizing it! [&:]

We just switched over to GEICO from Met Life on our car insurance (since I bought that 2000 Chevy Silverado, and have teenage daughters who drive, Met Life told me my premium would skyrocket to $1350 for six months!!!! [][][] GEICO had the same policies, and so on, but the premium was $961 for 6 months. That we can do without a problem! )

Anyway, my wife and I are doing okay here in the Richmond, VA area.... There are hard times all over the place though. I can remember the Richmond Times-Dispatch (newspaper) a few years ago having pages and pages and pages of help wanted classifieds. Now it' s only about 2, maybe 3 pages at max! [][:' (]

Butch
Old 07-25-2003, 08:42 AM

" I' m above the below and below the upper. I' m stuck in the middle where the money gets tight, but I guess I' m doing alright."

Thankful to have a job - Lots of people here in WA were hit real hard (one of the problems of having boeing as a cash cow) - I don' t blame boeing one bit. The ripple effect from the boeing lay offs have really smacked WA. The tech field went from pick and chose your job to keep the one you have and pray you don' t lose it. Looks like things are begining to turn around though.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

We always felt pretty secure here at NASA, As long the Shuttle keeps flying missions and the space station stays operational, our future looked pretty good.

With The Shuttle programn in serious inquiry right now, I am not so sure...God forbid if we ever lose another shuttle...Maybe Johnny can give me a Job?

Quick Reply: How you doin?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.