Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Porkers...

Old 09-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well... I found the recipe for my favorite dessert on the net last week. Made a batch on Friday. Recipe involves a yellow cake mix, a stick of butter, 4 eggs, 8 oz of cream cheese, two teaspoons of vanilla, and 5 1/2 cups of powdered sugar(!!!). Needless to say, I gained a couple pounds over the weekend. Treebeard's Butter Cake... It's freaking awesome...
Old 09-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

running is simple - don't complicate it

get a pair of shoes that are comfortable and GO

hurting is good, there truly is no gain without pain

simple .... and if you find yourself wanting to run 40 miles + a week? then go to runnersworld and start looking at training sheets etc, until then, excecise becuase God made your body to do it
Old 09-27-2010, 02:03 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Everything has a limit. Sometimes pain is your body saying "stop, before you cause irreperable damage". Other times, pain is just weakness leaving the body. One has to educate themselves to know the difference, or learn the hard way.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Little Doe Peep

Cool

Originally Posted by Ranger77 View Post

Yes, if you're referring to the temporary muscle pain that can result from some hard exercise. But pain in joints and ligaments indicates damage and is not good at all.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

example - I hurt my left knee playing basketball maybe 4-5 months ago. It hyperextended ... almost to the point of feeling dislocated. Also, I could put zero weight on it , if I did, I would literally fall to the floor. indicative of ACL tear

in a few days, I was better, weeks went by, I did some light excercise and then got invited to play flag football

I made it 6 games and had ZERO issues ....... then did the same injury

another few weeks went by and I started running again. It hurt, it did not feel right or good. I powered through it - not unlike doing physical therapy for my right knee surgery, physical therapy is NOT fun - they make you hurt, and sometimes bad hurt so that you'll overcome the limitations caused by injury

that's the way I view things right now .... could I blow my ACL/MCL/PCL tonight on a run? sure I could ....... and I could do it stepping off a sidewalk too Running strenghtens me, it does not weaken me
Old 09-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Steve:
You get a real good cardio workout and it isn't damaging to the body like running.
I understand that you think bicycling is a good way to exercise, but I cannot imagine why you think running is "damaging." If it were, I'd be crippled by now. I've been a runner for most of my life. I promise you, I'm probably healthier than many of those who are reading this and that is by almost any standard medical yardstick you'd like to use. Ironically,vigorous exercise is the antithesis of "damaging." It stretches, rejuvenates, and rebuilds the body. It tunes the cardiovascular system and elevates the respiratory system toward it optimum (max VO2...look it up and see how important it is for everything from digestion to muscle function to brain function at optimum levels.)

If you think about it for a moment, you're saying that baseball, basketball, football, soccer, and probably dozens of other sports are "damaging." They all involve lots and lots of running don't the? But wait...I'm confused now, aren't you? Are the participants of those sports our national heroes??? I've never heard anyone say "basketball is 'damaging." Is the inclusion of a spherical object the deciding factor as to how 'damaging' a particular form of exercise might be?

If "running is damaging" wouldn't retired basketball players be relegated to wheelchairs with great regularity? They run...for hours each week. In fact, they do sudden starts and stops and they pivot constantly. Certainly that has to be horribly 'damaging' to the knees, no? Why don't we seem them collapse during each and every game from all that running? My goodness, I'd think they'd be dropping like flies. What's more, those basketball runners are beyond a doubt, more fit, much more healthier, than 99% of those who paid big bucks to SIT and watch them engage in such a "damaging" game.

"Man wasn't meant to chase animals?" LMAO. No offense, but what I find hilarious is the idea that we have a thread on obesity and in the same thread, wherein, statistically speaking, 68% of the participants ARE porkers themselves, we have so many who would be quick to put down running as somehow harmful or unnatural somehow.

Well, it isn't. Here's what is...

A sedentary lifestyle...one in which running or any truly vigorous exercise (biking is for wimps, by the way) is viewed as somehow odd, or at least unnecessary, something to be avoided, if possible. Everyone reading this grew up in an era where anything that allows you to do less, or physically work less is supposedly good. So where have we gone with that stupid thinking? Read on my tubby, camo-clad cronies, read on...

We've gotten to the point where we try to park closer to the entry door when we go to the "gym"...where we lift a few weights and play on an "elliptical" for a few minutes perhaps 2 or 3 days a week so we can pretend we're getting "in shape."

Dr. George Sheehan, a cadiologist, writer, and marathon runner once wrote, "The worse thing we ever did for our health was to invent the automobile." We only do what we have to do...and in the 21st century, that is not much, physically speaking. (Yea, yea, I know, there are still a few very physical occupations out there, but they are essentially rare exceptions...machines do most all of our heavy lifting these days) We don't even walk when we cut our grass...we buy a riding mower, if we can. Or better yet, we pay someone to cut our grass.

Most of you who are reading this do NOT exercise vigorously for an hour or more a day...ever. Most of you are at least 15 or 20 pounds overweight. Some of you are 50, 60 or even 80 pounds overweight. Most of you have bought into the idea that watching others chase each other around while playing with some type of ball is a great thing to do for 2 to 10 hours each week, when your not watching something else on TV. You truly don't get it and you quietly almost resent those who do...though you'd never admit it, even to yourself.

Then you (meaning the public at large and many of this crew) wax poetic about not being able to run because you weren't "made" to run....as though running involves something more than putting one foot in front of the other. You won't admit that you probably cannot do anything involving prolonged vigorous exercise for more than 60 seconds and could not do so for love or money...you're that pathetic.

Fact: Statistically speaking...your probably fat. Your heart works overtime day in and day out. You have no cardiovascular strength to speak of. Your respiratory system is functioning at the lowest level because you mostly sit or move as little as possible unless someone is paying you and then you do as little as you can get away with ...and that is how it is for you...every day of your life. Your muscles have atrophied or never really reach peak efficiency. Your diet is awful. You are the epitome of the modern American adult...and so are your kids...probably out of shape or overweight...or both...like you...no matter how old or young they are.

Sheehan once said, "The eight year-old is the perfect athlete. He will "play" for hours, usually running, jumping, chasing around with his friends. Then he will rest unashamedly. If an adult does the same the "exercise" is considered somehow "harmful" or strange and the resting is "laziness."

I stand by what I said. The human body was meant to work and work hard. Failure to do so is an invitation to infirmity and disease.

Oh and please, while we're at it, let's break out the standard, tired joke about how you only run out to the mail box and back; how that's enough running for you in a day. Meanwhile, each year, little by little, you're becoming the people you slammed on this thread...for being porkers...aren't you? They're poor...or worse yet, black...but actually they look pretty much just like you...and you them. At the very least, you're starting to look more like "them" every day, aren't you? Lol, maybe that's why you resent them, eh?

Fat and slovenliness won't kill you, not right away at least. But I promise you this...its a lot more "damaging" than vigorous exercise done properly and routinely.

But the facts won't change a thing. You'll continue to accept making excuses for yourself because, after all, that's what everyone does, right? You accept the idea the exercise is pretty much over-rated and probably not all that necessary in "today's" world...

Isn't that probably mostly why 68% of us are "porkers?"
Old 09-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good rant, VC.

My neighbor is a physical therapist specializing in sports so the guy knows his stuff. I pick his brain from time to time in order to learn. I've always thought that a rest day was absolutely necessary for proper recovery. Well it is for muscle group work I suppose, but his suggestion to me was to exercise every single day of the week, if I could. It doesn't need to be an hour or more a day either, but rather doing something and moving around the muscle groups. Furthermore he pointed out that I would never have to worry about looking like the guy on the cover of natural body builder or men's health. His point was that the body can take exercising daily and should be, and that over-training on a novice level is something that isn't possible, if approached correctly.

So it only takes let's say 45 minutes per day for warm up, routine, stretch. That's not a lot of time. I guess my point is that life can get busy so we tend to make excuses why we must rest on the couch rather than work out - in fact it's just that - an excuse. Eating right and exercising is a lifestyle decision, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm currently in the process of training a german shorthaired pup (working with a professional trainer I should say). Part of my duty for training is various homework assignments including whoa barrel training. This involves placing the dog on a barrell and saying whoa for five minutes a day. The trainer stressed how critical this part of the training is stating that it's only five minutes and if I couldn't find five minutes per day then make a decision what to give up. It's much the same for eating right and working out. Make the decision what to give up in order to fit it into our lives.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

VC today's kids are way fat, excercise to them is a Wii
Old 09-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, Badshot.

Ranger, the kids are emulating their parents. They are being taught to NOT exercise unless there is "sport" involved...and then they needs steroids to really perform.

Badshot:
Well it is for muscle group work I suppose, but his suggestion to me was to exercise every single day of the week, if I could. It doesn't need to be an hour or more a day either, but rather doing something and moving around the muscle groups. Furthermore he pointed out that I would never have to worry about looking like the guy on the cover of natural body builder or men's health.
It is interesting to note what we hear from doctors. Not picking on your guy or anyone in particular, but most physicians do not address the idea of approaching optimum health.

Think about what the phrase "optimum health" really means...
Is it just keeping yourself from illness and infirmity? That can be done with very little exercise. You may avoid illness to a great degree via genetic blessings alone. But that is not what God intended. Optimum health is ONLY achieved via prolonged usage of large muscle groups. Thirty minutes a day won't cut it in the long run. You will never achieve your maximum potential as a human being if you're only "half" of what you should be.

Next time, as your doctor this: "How much does one need to exercise to maintain optimum body weight for one's height along with achieving the maximum cardiovascular and respiratory performance? What does it take to achieve maximum vitality and fitness?'

If he or she is worth his or her salt, the answer will be very different than what you were told.

Getting to your optimum level of overall fitness is something that takes time, patience, and discipline...three things most Americans claim they cannot afford to pay for something as important as living life to its fullest.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

On a lighter note, i watched Dancing With The Stars again last night. That Palin girl is fat but man can she dance. BTW: She took her dance instructor home to Alaska for the weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.