Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
ethnic classes.... >

ethnic classes....

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

ethnic classes....

Old 05-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
There isn't time in high school for extra crap. You want to learn about tangent information, go to college and btw, on your own dime.
Per usual, you have completely missed the greater point
Old 05-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by daddyslittlegirl View Post
I see your point, and of course, I can't speak for everyone of Japanese descent. But I would consider it condescending, patronizing, and demeaning for a liberal teacher to impose upon me, lessons about the contributions of my forebears. I do have an interest in Japanese history and culture. I have studied Shinto, I practice Soto Zen, I have learned about the atrocities committed by the Japanese during and before WWII, including the oppression of the Korean people. I have read about the internments and the service of Nisei men in the American military.

Your forebears may very well have eaten pineapple or other fruits cultivated by my family while they were in Hawaii. (The were recruited here to work on the farms much as many European people were brought here to work in the factories and mines.) My husband bought me a kimono, a child's kimono because of my size, and I often wear it when I'm feeling especially frisky. Japanese food, music, etc,, are appealing to me.

But all that said, I am an American. True, I am an American of Japanese descent, but I am not Japanese-American. If I am in an American history class, I want to learn about American history. I would feel humiliated if someone felt it necessary to try and reassure me about the worth of my ethnic group.

Don't be afraid She has a Samurai sword, but her husband mounted it too high for her to reach

I guess I am at a loss to understand how recognition of the specific contributions of any ethnic group, within the context of a broader and balanced lesson plan, could be perceived as demeaning.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by boysda View Post
Per usual, you have completely missed the greater point
No it's you who have missed the greater point. High school isn't about catering to the students. It's about giving the students the basics to be productive citizens in the US. After all, our money, my money is paying for it. Even worst, some choose not to burden the public system and leave extra dollars for them to use. The least our public schools could turn out since I'm paying for it, is educated kids versed well in our founding fathers and the birth of this great nation. The time for feel good education comes later on their dime.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

No it's you who have missed the greater point. High school isn't about catering to the students. It's about giving the students the basics to be productive citizens in the US. After all, our money, my money is paying for it. Even worst, some choose not to burden the public system and leave extra dollars for them to use. The least our public schools could turn out since I'm paying for it, is educated kids versed well in our founding fathers and the birth of this great nation. The time for feel good education comes later on their dime.
Feel better after thumping your chest?

Please reread my posts and illuminate me as to where I advocated anything like what you complain of? You might actually find that I wrote against specific ethnic studies classes in high school. I would certainly agree that primary and secondary schools need to focus primarily on the basics.

Particularly reading comprehension...
Old 05-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Please reread my posts and illuminate me as to where I advocated anything like what you complain of? You might actually find that I wrote against specific ethnic studies classes in high school. I would certainly agree that primary and secondary schools need to focus primarily on the basics.

Particularly reading comprehension...
isn't "ethnic studies" something best left to the judgment of an individual teacher? doesn't seem to me to lend itself well to either promotion by specific curriculum, or by legislation. a good history teacher with 70% latino students in a class should be able to focus the broader lessons in a way to relate to the audience being taught
No comprehension problems here. While you advocate going outside the guideline/course curiculum to captivate the audiance, I believe in making the subject itself more captivating.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

No comprehension problems here. While you advocate going outside the guideline/course curiculum to captivate the audiance, I believe in making the subject itself more captivating.
"Focusing the broader lesson plan" actually implies adhering to the curriculum. And a good teacher will find many ways to make a course captivating without sacrificing the greater curriculum

And I guess that part I wrote about stand-alone ethnic studies being unjustified luxuries just didn't fit comfortably in your preconceived talking points...

Last edited by boysda; 05-13-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by boysda View Post
"Focusing the broader lesson plan" actually implies adhering to the curriculum. And a good teacher will find many ways to make a course captivating without sacrificing the greater curriculum
That's not what you first stated. However, I really wasn't going after you in this post but going after the broader topic of this post. (how do you like them apples?). As a technical trainer with students who are there for 7 hours a day and up to 5 days that week, I completely understand the need to keep their attention focused. It's not as easy as many people think.

This bill however, isn't focused on that. It about ending the feel good pandering to ethinic students in order to give them an easy grade (worthless class) to graduate.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's not what you first stated.
I really wasn't going after you in this post but going after the broader topic of this post. (how do you like them apples?). As a technical trainer with students who are there for 7 hours a day and up to 5 days that week, I completely understand the need to keep their attention focused. It's not as easy as many people think.

This bill however, isn't focused on that. It about ending the feel good pandering to ethinic students in order to give them an easy grade (worthless class) to graduate.
See, what threw me was when you quoted me and then took issue with a bunch of things I never said
Old 05-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Dominant Buck

No worries. I understand boysda. You have the knack, like ipsc (I wonder why), to pull apart responses. I used it in this thread. Please forgive me.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think that if you take a look at what students are devoting their time to at High Schools in terms of daytime activities and classes and extracurriculur activities supported by taxpayer money, you will find that any ethnic studies classes that may actually be offered are probably fairly low on the list of what many folks would consider to be unwanted crap. That is, if we have reached the point where suddenly everyone wants to take charge in identifying what is relevant/irrelevant and what should not be offered/available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.