Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Military gets pay hike...still underpaid? >

Military gets pay hike...still underpaid?

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Military gets pay hike...still underpaid?

Old 01-25-2002, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Military gets pay hike...still underpaid?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,43914,00.html

Thursday, January 24, 2002
By Brian Loring

LOS ANGELES ? After scraping by financially for many years, members of the U.S. military will be receiving heftier paychecks in the mail this month.

President Bush signed a military spending package giving service personnel their biggest raise in 20 years on Jan. 10, much to the relief of soldiers and sailors.

Senior Petty Officer Dave Elmer has had a difficult time making ends meet, even after 9 years in the Navy. He and his wife Stacy have a son, Carson, and are grateful for the pay raise.

Elmer's base pay as an engineman first class aboard the destroyer USS Howard is $27,000 annually, plus upgrades and allowances. But when his twice-monthly paycheck arrived last week it was up about seven percent fatter than before ? about $230 more after taxes than previous checks.

"Every little bit always helps but that extra money we're getting is going to make a big difference," Elmer said.

His wife admitted the family has been living paycheck to paycheck. "I know many military families who are on food stamps," Stacy Elmer said.

"Sometimes it gets rough and you sometimes think, man ? should we get out?" she said. Sometimes she said they ask themselves questions like, "Could we give our son a better life if he got a job outside the military?

"But raises like this help us stay in."

However, many servicemen and women haven't stayed in ? especially in the 1990s. Even with these groundbreaking pay increases the military can't always compete with the private sector's salaries.

No matter what the financial abilities of the military, officials said they want to continue to pay their troops generously in respect.

"We want to show our people that their service is valued and that they don't have to go home and apologize to their families for their paycheck," Cmdr. Jack Papp said.

The largest raises go to enlisted men like Elmer ? those with lots of experience who are largely leaving the military for private industry.

Old 01-25-2002, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Military gets pay hike...still underpaid?

I greatly appreciate my pay raise. It helps out quite a bit, but it always seems everytime we get a pay increase, we lose something else or the cost of living has already absorbed the raise. For the military folks out there, have you tried to get a dependant seen at the base "clinic" lately? It is getting more difficult. You can forget dependant dental and the Delta Dental Plan is not a very big help. The job security is nice, the commisary is a good deal most times, the BX is so-so depending on your area, and the sense of community is strong. Most of us don't do this for the money. Most feel a higher calling to do what we do and some would do it regardless of what we are paid, but the fact remains we have to be able to support our families. The good thing now is we have a President who honestly cares about the military. I believe things will get better.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

im in it just for the tax free smokes and booze.

Trust me...i work for the Gov.
We will not bring those responsible to justice, we will bring them to thier knees
Old 01-25-2002, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> im in it just for the tax free smokes and booze.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Cigs were 10 cents a pack tax free when I was in...how much now nascar88?
Old 01-25-2002, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

rtread, your showing your age....hehehe
i remember when i first came in, &quot;sea sale smokes&quot; outside our waters were 5$ a carton.
on the beach, now, state side, they are 2.40 a pack.... but, i can buy any brand case of beer for 10.00. and a bottle is anywere from 4 - 9 bucks.
naw.... the military doesnt promote bad habits. riiiight!
Old 01-25-2002, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rtread I remember those ten cent cigarettes too .I also remember at that time reading a article on how to live comfortable on $10,000 a year . I was making $168. a month at the time. The poor pay was one of the reasons I got out . I think the pay is better but I wouldn't say it was great by any means .
Old 01-25-2002, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a link to what the proposed payscale would be, I don't know if it was modified since this was published or not.
http://www.defenselink.mil/specials/...chart2002.html

Regardless, they aren't all that great. I know the housing is partially subsidized and there are certain extras some enlisted are entitled too for a particular job or type of service, these in no way reflect what is available in the private sector. As the military becomes more technical and smaller, there is no excuse not to pay a salary which would allow even a junior member to live comfortably.
Old 01-25-2002, 08:17 PM

Still underpaid?

ABSOLUTELY.

Hey, Mr. President, how 'bout getting some of these undeserving people who are on welfare off, and cutting some of these programs which benefit only one senator's/represntative's distirct, and making sure that the military gets more in their pay raise?

Yeah, I know that they don't do it for the money, but at least make it competitive with the civilian world!
Old 01-26-2002, 02:30 AM

Hell yes they're still underpaid. I got out of the marine corps a year ago as a captain earning flight pay (pilot), and my pay with everything included was around $55000 a year, after being in for ten years. Troops working for me were making a third of that and trying to feed a wife and two kids. I decided to get out mainly because I was tired of the BS but secondarilary because I could make a lot more on the outside. As was said before, people don't go into the military to get rich but it would be nice if we could keep the junior enlisted population off of the welfare rolls, don't you think? It's disgraceful what the military pays the junior enlisted guys. I wouldn't put up with the crap they do for that amount of money. You can make twice as much working at wal-mart and you're home every night.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree guys....the question &quot;still underpaid?&quot; was to draw comments.

I recently received a Social Security Statement showing my annual earnings going back to my high school days. Interesting, '67, '68, '69 wages were totally military...

'67.....$1459
'68.....$2454
'69.....$3168
(a lot of this was tax free and includes hazardous duty pay)

I tend to agree with frizzellr.... <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Most of us don't do this for the money. Most feel a higher calling to do what we do and some would do it regardless of what we are paid, <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
and I am ALWAYS glad to let servicemen/women know of my appreciation for their service to their country. I'm especially appreciative of the response our military has given since 9-11. You guys are doing a fantastic job.

Quick Reply: Military gets pay hike...still underpaid?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.