Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 Great Myths of the Great Depression >

Great Myths of the Great Depression

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Great Myths of the Great Depression

Old 02-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Great Myths of the Great Depression

This is a great read for those of you who really want a good overview on what really happened during the Great Depression. I know it's a little dry but it's one of the bests I've come across. See if you can find any similarities to what's going on today. Hey RM, you better not read it because it might shatter your great impression of FDR. BTW, he wasn't that great, the american public didn't know any better.

http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/wew/articles/09/GreatMythsOfTheGreatDepression.pdf
Old 02-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Great Myths of the Great Depression

Yep, another revisionist story of the great depression from the perspective of a neo-con artist.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

FM, I've only read to page 11 as I have to read the rest later tonight. Anyways, it states that interest rates were going up and tax exemptions were brought down, quite the opposite of what is happening at this time. Its quite clear that from the beginning those two things together were much to blame at the time. I'll read the rest of this version later.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: falcon

Yep, another revisionist story of the great depression from the perspective of a neo-con artist.
Wow, what a very intelligent comeback from someone who has had "600" level economics. NOT! I bet you never read it did you? I bet you never even went down to read the bio of the aurthor so how would you even know? What facts has he foot noted that you have a problem with? The joke on you falcon. It takes history to review just the facts to really tell what went on. It's the same thing when I and others on this board say Bush will go down as a great president. Historians will review the records without feelings and only the facts.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your speaking for historians?That in and of itself is pretty funny.

"that poor government policy played in fostering this legendary catastrophe"

Really? Who'd a thunk it?"Fostering" implies something was there to foster.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

The Mackinac Center for Public Policy is a free market think tank. Anything that those guys put out is pure propaganda designed to promote the free market.This book is not even printed by a vanity press.No college that i am aware of would usethis it.

Lots of comprehensive studies of the great depression are available.The truth is always somewhere in the middle. Truth willnot be found to the far right or the far left.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:44 AM
Dominant Buck

No college that i am aware of would usethis it.
Try GMU. falcon, there are many many economist who are grounded in these beliefs. In fact 250 of them signed on to the full page ad asking our government not to go down this spending road because it can only have one outcome.

FM, I've only read to page 11 as I have to read the rest later tonight. Anyways, it states that interest rates were going up and tax exemptions were brought down, quite the opposite of what is happening at this time. Its quite clear that from the beginning those two things together were much to blame at the time. I'll read the rest of this version later.
I'm glad you are.It's one of the shorter versions that I have read and it's sums it all up very nicely. The last few pages sums up what is being repeated today and I think you will find it interesting.

However, with respect to the interest rates. Don't talk too fast about that one. We are running out of places to borrow money from. That evil country China is also seeing a major burst in their bubble. You can't have all this double digit growth forever and they are crashing. Because of that they need to keep their money at home to help out domesticly. What does that mean to us? Who is going to buy ourdebt and loan us money?No one,so we will be forced to raise our interest rates to attrack new lenders to pay off allthis new spending or print out new paper. The free ride is over. Be prepared to see rates well into the 20% and even going close to 30% down the road.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's the same thing when I and others on this board say Bush will go down as a great president.
Boy, that's got to be the laugh of the week. I can assure you that you and I will be resting comfortably in our pine boxes a good many decades or maybe centuries before any historian will come to the conclusion that Bush was a great president!!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:08 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Steve863

It's the same thing when I and others on this board say Bush will go down as a great president.
Boy, that's got to be the laugh of the week. I can assure you that you and I will be resting comfortably in our pine boxes a good many decades or maybe centuries before any historian will come to the conclusion that Bush was a great president!!
You are correct. You will be resting in a pine box when the actions GW took are look at objectively without the influence from the drive by media.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:27 AM

FM, you don't have to look back to the depression to see what is happening now, you need only to look back at the last 8 years. FDR was handed a economical disaster the same as Obama, and did very well to install some safeguards to prevent catastrophe. The Republicans have chiseld away at these safegaurds ever since, the SEC being one. Also no-one on this board or their families or grandparents would have SS if it were not for FDR. I think you should study the great depression and learn what Neo-Con politics can cause, as we are in another fix now caused by Neo-Con actions.

Quick Reply: Great Myths of the Great Depression

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.