Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 Is GW the worst president? >

Is GW the worst president?

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Is GW the worst president?

Old 06-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Is GW the worst president?

I think Bush gets blamed for a lot of crap that he can't control. My vote for worst president in my lifetime would be Lyndon Johnson.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mastevt

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Mastevt

Hardly any technology out there today in solar, or wind is even close to being affordable for the average Joe. Just think if every household across the nation ran on it's own solar/wind/battery power.
Do you knowhow labor/petrolium intensive it is to make solar panels? Thereis a good reason that windmills and solar panels are not being used. One, cost,its a 25 year investment for either. Thats just to make your money back,and nobody factors in the cost of maintenance.

I have been looking into the50ft windmills as a investment on my property. It take an intial 18Kjust to get started, how many years will it take for me to recoup my money?

You see, thats just my point! These forms of energy have been around for along time, no, not 200 years, but, long enough that substantial interest should have been invested in it many years ago. Then, by todays standards, it would be more feasable, and the flip side to it is, there would be less demand for fossil fuels, thus keeping the price down. Remember the ole law of supply and demand? No demand = cheep prices!
They are saying that solar panels (good ones too) will be much more affordable in about 5 years or so.

As far as "The worst preident ever", I am going to say the one after GW will be the worst ever...
Old 06-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

By no means am I happy with Bush's 2nd term in office. However, is he the worst president ever? Far from it. This administration couldn't touch the administrations of Jimmy Carter, Lyndon B. Johnson, or several administrations of the 1800s and early 1900s.

The economic situation, first of all, isn't as bad as most make it out to be. Yet. It has the potential to be very bad very soon, IMO, and will be if gas prices continue to climb, but it isn't there yet. People see the price they're paying to fill their cars up and automatically assume that the economy is bad, because they're taking a bigger hit in the wallet. They don't consider the big picture. I'd challenge anyone who says the economy is bad (Big Duane) to explain how they personally have been negatively impacted by the current state of the economy. Obviously a struggling economy doesn't hit everyone equally, but on a board this size, I'd expect a few people who could pony up these examples.

For what the economic situation is, it was largely created by 2 things: Rising gas prices and the housing market. Neither of which can really be laid at Bush's doorstep. I do not think this administration has done enough to address the situation — Bush's mantra on the subject has largely been "We're going to have to deal with rising prices; there's nothing we can do about it — but could he really have had a positive impact on the energy crisis? I don't think so. It will take years to solve, and it will not involve a single administration. As for the housing crisis, it is a direct result of the housing boom of the early '00s. Perhaps the feds are guilty of lowering interest rates too much, but lowering rates was necessary to pull the country out of recession. The housing crisis is also a continuing example of the American mentality of "gotta have it, gotta have it big, gotta have it now." Everyone was going out and buying into the American dream of home ownership, but instead of a 3 bedroom house with a picket fence and a dog out back, they wanted a 6 bedroom dream house with a heated inground pool. They couldn't afford it, they entered into extremely stupid mortgage situations, and the end result was their own fault. No Republican is going to change that mind set, and no Democrat is going to change it.

As for jobs leaving our borders (and I couldn't disagree more with big country's assessment with why we want our manufacturing jobs in China), that didn't start with this administration, and it won't end with this administration, whether the next president is Republican or Democrat. So if we're going to judge Bush on manufacturing jobs departing our shores, we might as well go ahead and chalk up the next president as being a terrible president also.

On the other hand, let's not forget the Bush administration's tax cuts, which played a chief role in pulling the nation out of recession in the first term. That recession was on the way by the time Bush took office in January '01 and was quickened, and magnified, by 9/11.

What Bush will ultimately be judged on is the war on terrorism. When we look back on this administration 25 years down the road, the debates over amnesty, the recession, even the fuel prices, will not matter. What will matter is 9/11, and what resulted thereafter. And I believe Bush will be judged well. The response to 9/11 was excellent. The dismantlement of the Taliban in Afghanistan was even better. The actual war phase in Iraq was better still. And though things turned into a bit of a quagmire in the middle, due to poor planning in the Defense Department, which obviously is a reflection on this administration, corrections were made. Although the press isn't reporting much on the successes in Iraq, let's make no mistake that things have very much changed for the better there.

In 25 years, the question about Iraq will be whether the war was justified. But history doesn't tend to get caught up in partisan politics, which is what drives a lot of the current debate about the war. But the biggest issue of these past 8 years, when looking back, will be not the Iraq war, but 9/11, and how it led to a war on terrorism.

So to sum up a long post, I agree with what has already been said here: Bush gets blamed for some things that were beyond his control. And let me add this: If, per chance, the next president, whomever he might be, decides to scale back any facet of the war on terrorism — whether we're talking physical activities or intelligence-gathering activities, and we wind up suffering another major terrorist attack on our soil, the Bush administration might suddenly be validated by some who currently refuse to validate it.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:11 PM
bigcountry

You know thats the thing about being POTUS. Its not as powerful as alot would think. He can guide, he can manover. I really dread the day our country is ran by a super liberal like hussien and especially with a name and background like him. But we can recover. Thats the beauty of the US. With our two houses, we will survive.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Bsuh isn't the best nor the worst president. I'd have to say Carter was the most inept president we've had in modern times. Leadership is a lot more than intelligence and good intentions and Carter was simply unable to provide leadership. I think Bush will end up being known as a good president who made some mistakes and trusted some people he shouldn't have.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:49 PM

You know thats the thing about being POTUS. Its not as powerful as alot would think. He can guide, he can manover. I really dread the day our country is ran by a super liberal like hussien and especially with a name and background like him. But we can recover. Thats the beauty of the US. With our two houses, we will survive.
He single handly has the power to deplot the Marines anywhere for a peroid of 90 days without any affroval from congress. That is pretty powerful considering most wars now a days or over with all major combat in less that ninety days.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:55 AM

The recent declarations of the worst presidency in History by certain postersdemands a response. Determining the value of a presidency cannot be doneuntillong after the dust settles and the impact of the president and state representative’s actions of the time can be determined. On the world scene, the tremendous growth and demand for energy created as China and others attempt to enter the first world has created a bleak energy future where the world as a whole will be facing dwindling and scarcer oil supplies as its is currently the only viable energy source able to support our current cultural demands. These market forces will only increase in the future.In that lightconsider the following. ( a little convoluted as it is rather long and rushed )

The George Bush presidency has secured oil rights to the Azerbajian-turkmenistan oilfields and natural gas via pipelines(anyone remember UNOCAL which China tried to buy) through afghanistan.These are joint deals with US and India, Pakistan and all major players EXCEPT CHINA and were in the works long before 9/11 however our war on that country did solidify them. Bush has also secured oil rights todevelop IRAQ which will become the largest producer of Oil in the world as once fully developed they will outpace even Saudi Arabia’s current production which will eventually start to decline. Coincidentally CHINA'S rights, through a deal with Husseinallowing them to develop 1/3 of Iraqs oilwere declared null and void by the newIraqi govt and all development rights were given to british and us interests. Thuswe have consolidated our grip on desperately needed energy for at least the next 50 years. This leaves the world as follows, the US-British/europewill have a reliable source of oil. Japan, India andpakistan and southeast asiathrough their alliance with USbritish interests will beprovidedwith oil via the afghanpipelines. Russia has all the oil it will ever needand in fact aided in the creation of the pipelines through Afghanistan, and NOT through Iran who coincidentally has a very good relationship with China and sells them lots of oil and seems to enjoy a special relationship with their north korean imp. Coincidentally due to these agreements, China may be left sucking at straws as a little research on their energy requirements and ability to satisfy those requirements now and in the future will demonstrate. The only reliable place whereChina may be able to get a partial supply ofits demand for oil in the far future is possibly Africa where it is trying to buyand ally themselves with anyone who has oil at a very alarming rate. Darfur/angola/nigeria ring a bell. Look anyplace in Africa experiencing civil war, killing etc and you will find a lot of Chinese buying raw materials.Coincidentally Bush the "war monger" hasalso increased aid to Africa for AIDS and basic humanitarian projects to financial numbers that quite simply amazed everyone. The “blood for oil” familyalso has a humanitarian side?
Thus barring the discovery of some huge and completely unknown oil field in the future, the mayhem and criminal acts allegedly performed by this administrationmay have quite a different appearance to the free world in fifty years as the world energy outlook becomes ever bleaker and more reliant on middle eastern oil. I also remember reading about a Spanish-American war which was started quite similarly to this war and ended up providing America with a large military advantage and protection of its trade routes, yet history certainly doesn’t remember President Grover Cleveland as one of the worst presidents ever.
On a side note the US military has already developed plans touse coal of which we have ample supplies for fuel using the fischer trope process. In fact they have already tested the fuel in all of our military craft and it has met all requirements and then some. Also in case anyone hasn't noticed China has been markedly increasing its military and modernizing its navy for what purpose I don't know as I am quite certain no one has any plans on invading them and we have the wonderful UN to negotiateany confrontations. Guess its because they are just nice guys. Japan which has the 2nd largest navy after our own is also starting to demand answers as it appears they are having a tiff over certain oil bearing islands which both claim. Also remember when China’s North Korean imp launched test missiles towards Japan. China is also actively attempting to steal any and all military technology/secrets and are the number one instigator of internet based “cyber attacks” trying to permeate secured govt webs sites and computers. And while our hackers are considered criminals, Chinese hackers are state funded, though this is denied. Why and how come they haven’t caught them considering that they can already track down a single Chinese citizen who dares blog about Chinese activity which is not gov’t approved? In fact any govt official from any country traveling to China is now extensively warned to not have any confidential information on their computers because the Chinese will steal it if the computer is left unattended for even a slightest time frame as our commerce department secretary recently learned on an official state visit when his computer was left alone for a short time.

And as far as the economy is concerned, I'dlike some idiot to explain to me how the president is responsible for the tech/dot.com stock market collapse that took place when his presidency began and the real estate bubble that replaced it. Further I would like some idiot to explain how the president is responsible for the actions of the Federal reservewhich he doesn't even control, or China determining its own monetary valuations and arbitrarily pegging it to the dollar. Let alone trying toblame the president for a mortgage industry runby private banks and individuals for profit and serving private citizens? Blame the guy for the war and the patriot act but you can't lay everything at his doorstep.I am so tired of the victim mentality. Yeah, sure we are all victims of Bush. And to you so called history buffs out there, history has never blamed the various presidents for our past depressions and financial scandals but has always correctly blamed the profit seeking industries which actually caused them. How come you guys weren’t out blaming bush when people were buying houses and selling them 6 months later making cash hand over fist?

Just another viewpoint History may consider. So either Bush was handed a lemon and made lemonade or some of you are right and the world is in its current chaotic state of affairs simply because Bush was elected and got all of those smart congressmen, senators and foreign leaders to agree with him through the use of that damned silver tongue of his.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Depends on your standards, but I think it's safe to say that Bush hasn't been the worst overall. My vote goes to Jimmy Carter, a total jackass and joke of a President.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:41 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: shamlin

He single handly has the power to deplot the Marines anywhere for a peroid of 90 days without any affroval from congress. That is pretty powerful considering most wars now a days or over with all major combat in less that ninety days.
Sure, but what most of us here are discussing is how he can steer the entire economy or destroy or build the country.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

My vote goes to Jimmy Carter, a total jackass and joke of a President.
I rank Carterthe 2ndworst presidentin modern times. The very worst president in modern times is Nixon. Nixonsentenced US POW/MIA folks to death with his unholy surrender to the NVA. That dumb a$$ Carter gave amnesty to all the draft dodgers who ran off to Canada.

Quick Reply: Is GW the worst president?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.