Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 Drugs Or Video Games >

Drugs Or Video Games

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Drugs Or Video Games

Old 01-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Drugs Or Video Games

Which is more damaging to America’s youth: drugs or video games?

This may seem like an odd question, but I ask it earnestly. Which is more harmful to kids today in terms of emotional and social wellbeing? If we were to weigh the pros and cons of both, just about anyone would spontaneously name more ill effects from drug abuse than from video game playing. But when you compare the two, there are some obvious similarities. Both waste time; both distract from unpleasant thoughts or situations; both, in excess, can led to health problems; both can lead to de-socialization; and both are quite expensive. I’ll even argue that the Internet is a bigger gateway to vice and degenerate behavior than even tobacco, alcohol, or marijuana.

Who is sicker: the junkie panhandling on the corner, or the 250 lb. suburban kid drinking Cherry Coke and playing Halo 3 for seven hours straight? Which will effect the up-and-coming generation the most?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Drugs Or Video Games

ORIGINAL: Aught Six

Who is sicker: the junkie panhandling on the corner, or the 250 lb. suburban kid drinking Cherry Coke and playing Halo 3 for seven hours straight? Which will effect the up-and-coming generation the most?
The junkie, because he will cause problems for other people. The fat kid playing video games is only going to hurt himself. imo

But, I do see what you mean.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

add liquor cabinet raiding and weed smoking to the youtube viewing and PS3 playing
Old 01-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Video games? You've got to be kidding me.

I've never heard of anyone shooting someone in a mugging so that they could buy a video game.
I've never heard of someone dying from overdosing on video games.
I've never heard of someone being raped while under the influence of video games.

Tv is a much bigger risk for all of the reasons that the original poster mentioned. TV is definately a good source of violent and sexual material. TV promotes isolation while a lot of video games are very social in their very nature. Its been said since it was first available that 'TV rots your brain' on the otherhand, video games fully engage your brain and aren't passive activities.

Yes there are a few out there that have health problems due to sedentary lifestyle, but they probably learned it from their couch potato parents, the vast majority of video game players aren't morbidly obese marathon twitcy geeks.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Video games? You've got to be kidding me.

I've never heard of anyone shooting someone in a mugging so that they could buy a video game.
I've never heard of someone dying from overdosing on video games.
I've never heard of someone being raped while under the influence of video games.

Tv is a much bigger risk for all of the reasons that the original poster mentioned. TV is definately a good source of violent and sexual material. TV promotes isolation while a lot of video games are very social in their very nature. Its been said since it was first available that 'TV rots your brain' on the otherhand, video games fully engage your brain and aren't passive activities.

Yes there are a few out there that have health problems due to sedentary lifestyle, but they probably learned it from their couch potato parents, the vast majority of video game players aren't morbidly obese marathon twitcy geeks.
Until recently, I would've agreed with you whole-heartedly. But I can't help but notice the ever-climbing obesity rates in children, the rise is video game addiction therapy, and some of the people I've known at work who have called out sick to play video games. Kids today aren't just anti-social and violent. They have all kinds of problems, and I have to wonder what kind of adults we'll have in ten or twenty years.

Violent crime is a serious issue in this country, but there are a lot more people who are going to die from their obesity than from violent, drug-addicted criminals or drugs themselves. It'll just take longer and cost more moneyfor those who are trying to save people who are killing themselves. Seriously, have you looked at kids at the mall lately?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Both are harmful in their own light, and I believe the harm from the two of them are preventable. Good parenting can steer a child away from drugs, and firm parenting will limit the amount of time a child spends playing video games as opposed to time outside, ect.

When I was younger I could only play video games (the original nintendo) if the weather was nasty outside. If it was a nice day, I was told to get my butt outside and go play or do something useful. Spent a lot of time chasing cows, milking cows, grooming cows, etc. Kids today don't even know what a cow is half the time. But still, outdoor activity is highly important to development.

I was also told that if I ever so much as thought about drugs I would be kicked out of my house on the spot and my horse taken away from me and sold. That if I ever landed my butt in jail I could find my own way out because obviously I found my way in. My father met every one of my boyfriends and even found out about the ones I tried to hide.

Let me ask another question. While the child is playing halo 3 for 7 hours straight drinking only soda, where is the parent? Who bought the soda and gave it to the child?

I'm sick and tired of watching kids rule their parents and the household. If theydon't get a particular toy in a store they whine and carry on until their parents give in. I would have been removed from the store immediately, taken to the car and made to sit in the seatuntil my tantrum stopped. Then we would have gone back in shopping. If you try to tell any parent different they say that parents who are too firm are cruel and will only drive their children away. I can tell you thats not true. Sure I went through times (typical teenage years) that I said I hated my parents and found them to be a pain, but I've never been closer to them than I amnow, and love them more than ever.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's the thing, though. Parents are MIA. Even if we can see the answers to some of society's problems, society isn't buying it.

A lot of commentators here bemoan the rise in foreign labor on American payrolls. I'm genuinely worried that it's only going to get worse as kids laze themselves sick in the years ahead. As I've said, it's much easier to demonize drugs than video games, but I think that's wishful thinking on many people's part. Idleness is not a good thing, no matter what form it comes in.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't be all that bad...

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11209/MLG-Signs-FourMan-Halo-2-Team-for-1-Million-Contract/http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/19/60minutes/main1220146.shtml

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hruby/071008
http://news.digitaltrends.com/featured_article75.html
Old 01-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

"Idleness is not a good thing, no matter what form it comes in."

Bingo!!!

When I grew up kids had summer jobs and many also had weekend jobs. In the evenings when my brother I came home from school there was cows, chickensand hogs to feed, firewood to be carried into the house and all kinds of stuff to do.We were too tired to get into trouble even if we had the time.

Things were pretty good in the 50s. Then came the psychedelic 60s:The kidstuned in, doped upand dropped out.Then the tuned in, doped up and dropped out kids had their tuned in and dropped out kids and it got worse.We are into our third generation of tuned in, doped up dropouts; by nowthe dope has drastically altered some gene pools.For four decades American parents have depended on school teachers and the school system to raise their kids,to feed their kids, and to keep their kids out of trouble.Most parents have no clue what their kids are doing and are very happy that the kids are not bothering them with life's little minutiae.

In Lawton, OKthe school cafeterias are open in the summer time to feed kids: Something is wrong here.It is not unusual for the Lawton police to find a kid at home alone or in a car while mommie is drinking or toking up. Where is daddy: Oh, he just dropped out and let welfare take care of the kids. Political correctness got us where we are today.

You should see the McDonalds and Burger Kings in Lawton at about 8-10 in the mornings. Long lines of mostly women in house coats and pajamas who just woke up late and realized the kids gotta eat. Not wonder we have a generation of butterballs.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

As far as drugs, they lead to bad things, where as video games can have an upside. Military need lots of people who are skilled in things like video games, as well as the production of games as a job. With that said, video games are like anything else, it can be abused and lead to problems.

Quick Reply: Drugs Or Video Games

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.