Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Ill gun ban

Old 03-29-2007, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ill gun ban

By Kim Carollo
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Hunters across the state could soon find a popular weapon banned.
There's legislation in the senate that, if passed, makes it illegal to have a .50-caliber rifle.

There's heavy debate on both sides of the issue.

The .50-caliber rifle is a common sight during deer hunting season.

"Virtually all of the sales -- at least 90% of the sales -- is .50 caliber,” said Tim Presley, owner of Presley's Outdoors in Bartonville.

But if a proposed senate bill passes, hunters may have to find some other weapon to use, because the .50-caliber rifle could be banned.

That doesn't sit well with hunter and gun dealer Tim Presley.

"This is what we use for hunting. We hate to see it go,” said Presley.

And he'll also lose a lot of sales, but that's not his biggest concern -- what he really cares about is his 2nd amendment right.

"We have the right to bear arms."

Even though the .50-caliber is primarily used for hunting, one mother says getting any guns off the street is important.

"Pretty much any weapons off the street,” said Patti Sterling-Polk of Mothers Against Violence.

She says all guns can be dangerous, and supports any legislation making the streets safer, but her primary concern is assault weapons obtained illegally.

"I want to make sure we have as much law enforcement as we can for guns that are obtained illegally,” said Sterling-Polk.

But hunters say lawmakers in favor of this bill are shooting up the wrong alley.

If the bill does pass, the ban would only apply to .50-caliber rifles purchased after the law takes effect.

It also does not apply to certain people, like peace officers and corrections officers.

A local Democratic senator, Dave Koehler, does not support any weapons ban, saying it would only hurt hunters and not solve any crime-related problems.
http://www.hoinews.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=30730

As I was reading this it came to my attention that rifle hunting is illegal in Illinios and the gun theyre targeting is the 50 cal muzzleloader.Click on the pic in the link and its a 50 cal muzzleloader the guy is holding.

I suppose the obvious question would be how many crimes are committed with muzzleloaders in the state?Hell, in the whole country.This could possibly be the single most idiotic bill Ive ever seen introduced anywhere, ever.Matter of fact here muzzleloaders are about the only gun you can buy without paperwork, convicted felons can hunt with them because theyre classified differently then other firearms.Theyre viewed as primitive weapons just like the bow and arrow.People from across the country should email the dimwits responsible for this POS and inform them they are nuts.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ill gun ban

12 guage is also > .50 caliber
Old 03-29-2007, 06:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: petasux

This could possibly be the single most idiotic bill Ive ever seen introduced anywhere, ever.
Keep in mind what you're dealing with here. Illinois is, for all intents and purposes, run by Chicago Democrats. "Idiotic" and "Chicago Democrat" are pretty much synonymous.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Also, there apparently has been some clarification. They're not after muzzleloaders. They're after .50BMG "Sniper Rifles."

Weapons ban clarified by senator

By Kim Carollo
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 at 5:24 PM
SPRINGFIELD -- We've been following a bill passing through the state senate that could possibly ban certain types of weapons.
One of the bill's sponsors -- Democrat Dan Kotowski, who hails from outside Chicago -- held a press conference to clear up some confusion about the bill.
The proposed law would ban .50-caliber sniper rifles.
Kotowski says the weapon is a serious national security threat, and have been used by terrorists against the U.S. military.
"This is a gun that can be used to puncture armor. It's used by the military. It's used by our military in Afghanistan and Iraq, and it's used by insurgents against our military in Afghanistan and Iraq,” said Senator Kotowski.
But the owner of a company that manufactures the rifles interrupted the press conference to speak out -- he says that's not what the weapons are used for.
"This thing is used primarily -- in fact, universally -- as formal and informal target shooting, and there are special events around the country for that long-range shooting,” said Mark Westrom, President of Armalite.
The proposed bill does not ban all .50-caliber rifles -- the kind commonly used for hunting are exempt from the ban.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'd also like to point out that, even though they have clarified their position... I still think Chicago Democrats are idiotic.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't realize .50 caliber "sniper" rifles were causing so much death and destruction in Illinois.[&:]
Old 03-29-2007, 07:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

What's even more interesting is that Armalite, which makes .50 BMG rifles,is based in Illinois, a couple blocks away from Springfield Armory,a couple towns over from Rock River Arms and Les Baer Custom... The folks in the western and southern parts of the state are normal, intelligent human beings.

And then there are the Chicago Democrats... Balance...
Old 03-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

The interesting thing is that the .50 caliber rifle, as near as I can tell, has been used in even less crimes than the .50 caliber muzzleloader.Up to this point in history in the United States this guns never really caused a real threat to the public.

When they passed it in Kookifornia I did some pretty serious researching on it and I could find only 4 instances of anyone using this gun for anything remotely illegal.None of which resulted in high body counts.More fear mongering to push a political agenda forward with no base in reality.seems the Dems are doing the same thing Ive condemned the current administration of, using the word to terrorist to make people feel safe as they pass bull**** laws that serve no purpose but ingringing on peoples rights.Gonna really suck if they takethe presidencyand get to use the newfound powers in the Patriot act[:-]
Old 03-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

One of the problems I see is that this is a "foot in the door" law as regards "sniper rifles". Next they'll be after Remington Model 700's in .308. After all, that is what the Marines use as a "sniper rifle."
Old 03-29-2007, 10:47 AM

It really sounds like an idiotic situation. To be honest, and without disrespectinganyone here from ILL,I have yet to meet anyone from Illinois that really had any common sense in the first place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.