Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 First 100 hours >

First 100 hours

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

First 100 hours

Old 01-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default First 100 hours

I understand the Democrats have identified legislation they wish to pass within the first 100 hours of the new congress. Does anyone know if any anti-gun legislation is included in the agenda for the first 100 hours? In the past anti-gun legislation has been a favorite of Democrats.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: First 100 hours

I read a short list of their intended legislative goals, but they used so many political catch-phrases that it really didn't convey much meaning.

Raise the federal minimum wage from $5.15 to $7.25 an hour.
• Curb lobbyists' influence by banning meals and gifts to lawmakers and requiring more disclosure and oversight.
• Repeal subsidies for the oil industry.
• Cut college-loan interest rates in half.
• Reduce prescription-drug prices for seniors by requiring Medicare to negotiate rates with pharmaceutical companies.
• Pass another bill that allows expanded federal funding for embryonic stem-cell research, betting on better prospects for an override if the president vetoes it again.
• Implement unfulfilled recommendations of the Sept. 11 Commission and beef up port security.
As with any Democratic agenda, it's anyone's guess how they'll turn thesegoals into legislation, let alonewhat it'll mean for the rest of us when all is said and done.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Reduce prescription drug prices for seniors by negotiating prices with pharmaceutical companies." That has an unpleasant ring to it, verging on nationalization of pharmaceuticals?

"Cut college loan interest rates in half." Perhaps by reducing the number ofstudents elligible to obtain a federally guaranteed college loan?

"Raise the minimum wage." I wonder how this will turn out. Will employers simply arrange to use part-time people to elude this requirement? Will employers just invest their money elsewhere? I mean, the implication is that this additional chunk of money comes directly out of the employer's profits. I assume the price of the product -- a Big Mac -- is as high as the market will bear already. Unless this cost was a negligible portion of my operating costs I might be inclined to reinvest my money elsewhere. A lot of room here for exhibition of the great conservative insight "the magnitude of unintended consequences is always greater than the magnitude of intended consequences," or something to this effect.

But what the heck, it is easy to be cynical and snipe at these people. If they try to improve things and honestly have the best interests of Americans at heart and not their own political agrandizement, they should be aplauded. They will be judged by their actions and the results of their actions, I hope.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Raise the federal minimum wage from $5.15 to $7.25 an hour.
The last time the minimum wage was raised it nearly doubled the cost of fast food , aren't Big Macs expensive enough ? If you're too stupid to get a better job than flipping burgers you need more education , not a fatter teat to suckle .
• Curb lobbyists' influence by banning meals and gifts to lawmakers and requiring more disclosure and oversight.
How about just banning lobbyists instead ? Special interests shouldn't be more important than everyone else , and lobbying is just anther word for backdoor politics . Goobermint should always be conducted in the light of day .
Why does an industry that's making record profits need subsidies in the first place ? Wouldn't those funds be better spent promoting alternative energy sources ?
So 4% is just too much ?
• Reduce prescription-drug prices for seniors by requiring Medicare to negotiate rates with pharmaceutical companies.
Why hasn't Medicare been doing this from day one ?
• Pass another bill that allows expanded federal funding for embryonic stem-cell research, betting on better prospects for an override if the president vetoes it again.
Or the industry itself could just seek private funding if the technology has so much promise .
• Implement unfulfilled recommendations of the Sept. 11 Commission and beef up port security.
Why were these reccomendations not already implemented ?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why does an industry that's making record profits need subsidies in the first place ? Wouldn't those funds be better spent promoting alternative energy sources ?
I agree with this.There was a time when federal $$$ in the oil industry had a positive effect on the consumer, but that time has passed. Now the problem is this: Take away oil's corporate welfare, and what will happen to the price at the pump? Will the oil companies dip into profits? Doubtful. They will just increase prices.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

So 4% is just too much ?
It is when you consider that there are a lot of kids out there with degrees in hard sciences like sociology, lesbian studies, art history, and theatre who could not only have difficulty calculating 4% interest, but also have a hard time finding gainful employement outside of McDonalds or Starbucks. But then again we will save these 'working poor' from their own poor deceision making by raising the minimum wage as well.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Always had to shake my head at the fact that the most common undergraduate degree being awarded nowadays is the BA in psychology. But what do you expect when you raise a generation telling them that they need a degree to be happy and successful? Instead of studying subjects in which they'reinterested and proficientor those that lead to the most profitable careers, or simply staying out of college period because they don't have what it takes, they drag themselves through four or eight years of the liberal arts cesspool (and often rack up a ridiculous amount of debt).

And for what? They'll still take entry level jobs doing lousy work and only eventually make it up the ladder through actual work, like everyone else. Enter the minimum wage increase...
Old 01-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Always had to shake my head at the fact that the most common undergraduate degree being awarded nowadays is the BA in psychology. But what do you expect when you raise a generation telling them that they need a degree to be happy and successful? Instead of studying subjects in which they'reinterested and proficientor those that lead to the most profitable careers, or simply staying out of college period because they don't have what it takes, they drag themselves through four or eight years of the liberal arts cesspool (and often rack up a ridiculous amount of debt).

And for what? They'll still take entry level jobs doing lousy work and only eventually make it up the ladder through actual work, like everyone else. Enter the minimum wage increase...
Then there are people like my wife who has a degree in sociology with emphasis in industrial organization who makes more money than I do, though she absolutely hates her job and bitches about it constantly. I have a BS in both Chemistry and Biology, love my job, make really decent money, but my wife keeps telling I need to make more or find a job that pays more- "I ask why? So I can do something that I don't like to do and be unhappy?"
Old 01-04-2007, 06:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

One thing is for sure, while they do their 100 hour thing, We will be paying for their follies[:@]
Old 01-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I find it interesting that they were elected on a promise of bipartisanship, and yet, their first act will be to completely bypass committees and cut the other side completely out of the process. This group of democrats is nothing but a bunch of hypocritical assclowns. I hopethe%&$%& who elected them are happy.

Quick Reply: First 100 hours

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.