new brunswick deer and bear hunting >

new brunswick deer and bear hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

new brunswick deer and bear hunting

Old 12-26-2004, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default new brunswick deer and bear hunting

hey guys, got a question.. i live in vt, and am looking at buying some land in new brunswick, with the intent of either a) using it as my own little vacation/hunting/fishing spot, or b) trying to become a guide, and taking people out for at least spring bear. this is located near the miramichi river, around quarryville. can someone tell me what the land is generally like in that area( wet, dry, hardwoods, soft, etc.) and the animal populations? or, if i were to become a landowner, but i don't live there, would i need to employ a guide if i wanted to hunt on my own property? if anyone can give me some general info, that would be great, since it is about a 9 hour trip+ for me just to check the area out.
Pat
Old 12-30-2004, 09:12 PM
Spike

Default RE: new brunswick deer and bear hunting

I lived in NB for 40 years, One of the reasons I left was because the hunting has really gone to hell in a hand basket in the last 10 years. Its a really nice place but the game is missing . If you are looking for a place to hunt or fish , I would look elsewhere. The bear hunting is pretty good but as far as the rest of the big game forget it. You would also need to have a guide if you wanted to hunt there unless you are a resident. You would be better off to just go over to NH or Maine. It would be really nice if F&W in NB would open up there eyes and start working on the problems with the game numbers. If you are just loooking to take the family there for a summer vacation then it would be a great spot to own some land but as far as the hunting and fishing goes I would find a better area.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for the answers. i have been looking at the regs for new brunswick, e-mailed them, ( no answer yet), called too, no answer, they must have taken the week off, about whether or not if i were to own land in n.b., yet live in vt would i need a guide just to hunt even on my own land. the way i read the regs the answer would be yes, just to hunt your own land a non-resident would need a guide, stupid rule i think. too bad, too because i was interested in becoming a guide( can't find the requirements for that one, either) for bear. i have found some land that is fairly cheap, i am sure the gov. takes their fair share of the proceeds were i to start a business. but now, i am thinking twice about it. i visited n.b. once, near bathhurst, and liked it quite a bit, not enough to move permanently, but perhaps part time. all it needed were a few mountains like we have in vt, lol.
Pat
Old 12-31-2004, 04:48 PM
Spike

Here's the link to F&W in NB http://www.gnb.ca/0078/fw/index_fw.asp
You would have to have an outfitters licence to guide hunters and an allocation for bear which you would not get unless you bought an exsisting Outfitting business. Go over to NH up near Pittsburg or anywhere up north and you should be able to get bears. You dont need a guide there, the only problem is that you cant bait before the season , at least that the way it was a couple years ago. I used to hang around Clairmont and a friend of mine had no problem getting bears on baits. He said up north they would dump out a couple hundred pounds of bread and dognuts and it would be all gone by the next day. Check it out its close! I dont know the regs as far as if you were taking hunters out for profit, you may need a licence there as well. I used to guide in NB but could not charge for it, I could take friends as long as no money changed hands , plus you had to be a resident to get the guide licence in NB. Beleive me it is not the hunting spot it used to be. There are lot of bears there but the average age is young and it is hard to get a decent one even if you live there.