Ontario Turkeys beware >

Ontario Turkeys beware

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Ontario Turkeys beware

Old 04-30-2004, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ontario Turkeys beware

Finally get to go out tomorrow, seeing all the guys in camo while I'm working has been killing me.

Hopefully there are as many birds on my friends farm as he claims, I wasn't out there picking rocks from his fields for my health. Anyone out there familiar with the land around Sunderland, are there many wild turkey? If I don't see birds this weekend I'll move back to Simcoe county, but I'm not a big fan of hunting public land on the weekends.

Anyone out there filled a tag yet? (Not you Adrian, I'm sure both of yours are gone).
Good luck all you turkey hunters, I'll let you know how things went sunday afternoon.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:00 AM

Default RE: Ontario Turkeys beware

Well how did you do???? I tagged out the first week...good luck.............Brampton Mike[8D]
Old 05-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

tschaef

I never get in a hurry to use up the second tag, I like to have one for the last 2 weeks as it can be great hunting. As I see it the presure in the Forests is really dropped off. In the last two weeks I've hunted Ontario and PA and have only carried a gun for a total of 4 days, boy that 2nd Tag just may take a kickin yet.

Good luck my friend , let us know how your making out...BT
Old 05-09-2004, 04:52 AM

Come on Adrian admit it..you only carried a gun for 4 days cause you made Scrapper & Jalvja carry it for you!!!!!!!!!!!!Brampton Mike

PS: did Jannette carry it for you yesterday????
Old 05-10-2004, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for the slow response guys, I've been so busy I forgot I made the post.

No luck yet, didn't see or hear anything around Sunderland saturday, and the storms on sunday kept me away from the woods. Got out for two hours s/of Orillia tuesday morning and got close to a flock of 12 with 2 big toms, but not close enough for a shot. I did get some pictures of three deer passing on a trail not more than 20yrds away, I'll post them if they turn out as well as I hope they do.
This past weekend was a 3 day stag party on a houseboat in thousand islands so me and the boys were hunting something other than turkeys
I'll be back out this saturday and sunday and I'll let you know, I think I'll stick to the Orillia farm, I know there are birds and I really prefer private land, only problem is its only 100 acres.

Question, about 30acres of the farm is bush, some of it really wet, almost flooded timber. I've had a bird fly over my head when in it but never seen anything on the ground. Will the birds use a really wet, puddle ridden forest floor?
Old 05-11-2004, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Birds like areas like that for roosting , and will move through the area on the ground, but at most times will move to higher ground for the day. Hope that helps ya...BT
Old 05-12-2004, 05:22 AM

Hey there Tschaef....you have a great area to hunt birds....I took 2 a couple of years ago a little northeast of Uxbridge on 20 acres of private land....there are lots of birds in that general area!!!!!!!!!!! good luckBrampton Mike[8D]
Old 05-12-2004, 09:29 PM

Adrian, are you finding the number of jakes down this year? I know around here almost all the birds are gobblers but with all the hens it`s making for some hard hunting, another week and most hens will be gone. We`ve just noticed that there`s no gangs of jakes running around the woods this year and hope it has more to do with the number of older birds than a bad hatch last spring.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't see or hear anything on Saturday.

Sunday I heard a distant gobble but couldn't move towards it without tresspassing so I set up, got comfortable and started calling, it was working. For about an hour the bird responded to my calls and moved my way, when I was sure it would show itself any minute I knocked an arrow and put on my facemask. Disaster struck, an unkown dog raced across the neighbours field barking like mad, it went crazy behind the hedgerow where my bird was, then silent, bird gone.
Oh well, thats hunting, I just hope I get one soon so I don't have to bail on my friends wedding the final weekend of the season
Old 05-19-2004, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

tschaef! you gotta hate when that happen's .I was out last Sunday and had a skunk trying to get in my blind not once but 3 times I had to knock an arrow and put the run on him . I had birds in the field but none takable since they were all hen's .

nubo

Quick Reply: Ontario Turkeys beware

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.