Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 09-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Spike

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Thanks NB for the information, I will miss Paul, he was friendly never to busy tostop & talk. He took good care of his snow machines. I am sure the new guys will be good too, the mirage has high standards, no complaints here.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone thats been to Donats, how equiped are the kitchens?
Are there microwaves? Coffee makers?
Is the water potable (drinking water)?
How about toilet paper, is it supplied or do we bring it?

The meet and greet for our group is coming up and we want to assign shopping lists, but none of us havedone this tripbefore, I'd really appreciate a response from anyone thats stayed at Donats before.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

Stayed at Donat's the first time. That was in 2000. I would never go back. I heard that they upgraded some but don't know to what extent. Bottom line is it's a dump but that's ok with some. The water in the container that was supposedly potable had hair and other stuff floating in it and the cooking facilities and utensils left a lot to be desired.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Donats is a miniumum camp- funtions to get you camping near the animals and that is all - Plan to bring like you are camping - anything you need/want day to day including water, sugar, coffee and prep. The camp used to be very dirty and facilities poor, but they have cleaned up to allow for a adequatetime in the dunny - however cold. Prices are cheap and this is what they sell - no more. They are actually on the 2 first in the area - Mirage and Donat.

I suggest staying to get the $$ advantage - then eating at Mirage - its only a few clicks west and the caf opens at 5:30am. Meals are #1 at Mirage and the cost for outsiders is not bad. Mirage also has a bar and does not discriminate on where you stay.I would pack food for mid-day field lunch as you cannot get this from Mirage to go. I see many from the other 2 Taiga road camps at Mirage using the facilities.

Bottom line is bring everything that you would need camping in the wild except the tent.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

Donat's is strictly European plan, which means you furnish everything. But it's also the cheapest place to stay. Yes it's run down and needs lots of improvements which I don't think he'll do. The last 2 years, later in the season, which is the end of December, he has just closed up and left. Not telling his clients that were coming up that he wasn't even open, because the Caribou weren't there. I've been going up there for years and years and I've stayed at all of the camps. The Mirage is the highest and probably the cleanest. But he needs to quit chasing the caribou with helicopters. And I believe the Quebec Government has given him his last warning about that. Kissimistakin is second, little cheaper than the Mirage, but that's to be expected since the road to their camp leaves a whole lot to be desired. Donats is 3rd. Yes it's dirty, not much there really or furnished for you but it's $300.00 to $400.00 cheaper that the rest. So the choice would have to be yours. And Nouchimi doesn't even qualify as far as I'm concerned. They are over priced, not very friendly or helpful and they are also 100 miles from where you can hunt. Their outpost camps are a disgrace. They don't plow the drive, you can't get in, there was never any firewood there and you freeze. Now I think they've went to oil heat but they never check to see if there is any there. Would never stay there again, and never have. So I would stay at the Mirage, pay the big bucks, or go to Kissimistakin, which is an excellant place, the food is good and service is great. The only drawback is the road to get there.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Spike

Bring your own drinking water( how hard is that?).

Old 09-08-2006, 04:39 AM
Spike

I agree with Darkside, Mirage is #1 & Kisk is #2... food is good at both places. kisk got a new roadplow last year and I think the road will be easer to get in and out... this year will tell.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:51 PM

I wanted to know what is nessecery to bring a snowmobile into canada from michigan for a caribou hunt (ex. orv sticker or regatration) or is there some other type of paperwork that must be done.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Typical Buck

I stayed at Donat, last year. It was the Thanksgiving week----about a week before the caribou showed up. It's spartan. We took bottled water. The kitchen is equipped with just the basic. Pots, pans, flatware, cups & glasses. Just enough to reheat the stew or chili that we made at home. Coffee pot, I don't think so. We had tea & hot choc. They are heated with oil burners----ours had 1 setting----high. The washroom was also spartan----but there was plenty of hot water. Problem is that everyone would try to shower at the same time----not enough stalls. I tried to use the privy at odd hours----had it to myself then. If the caribou were there it would have been OK---we are going back in a year----we will try & get in at Mirage----but they are usually booked-up. Donat is my backup----they are the Motel 6. CB
Old 09-09-2006, 12:39 AM

There seems to be nothing wrong with any of the camps up there, except Nouchimi, as it is so far from the hunting area. We stayed at Donat's and are staying there again. The caribou were late last year, but that's no one's fault. Donat's outfit let anyone stay in the bunkhouse who wanted to wait for the caribou. My Dad even drove back up there a week later and stayed in the bunkhouse for a night and shot a monster the next day. Do the other outfits do this??? It just depends on what you like - if you are used to higher end hunts with nice comfortable accomodations, then the Mirage is for you. If your sole mission is to hunt and get your meat and you need a place to stay, then Donat's is great. The water - sure bring some drinking water. I mean c'mon what's the big deal, I've drank out of a muddy ditch before in extreme situations. Different strokes, ya know? One thing is for sure, you will probably spend most of your time away from the camp anyway, so just take what you would need to be comfortable for the day anywhere. We had a two burner hot plate in our trailer at Donat's, so you'll have to take turns cooking. We bring a coleman stove with us and cook out on the road during the day. We just take disposable plates, cupsand utensils and it works out great. We did eat at the Mirage Buffet one evening and it was pretty good too. I think it was like $26/ person for those of us not staying there. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.