Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 03-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Spike

This news certainly makes me want to wait and see what happens before I book a hunt this year, just might consider going after something else this year.
What are they going to do with all the guys who have already booked prior to Dec. 1, are they going to give them refunds or book up the first couple weeks of Dec.
Then the fact that you can only shoot animals with antlers that late just about eliminates getting any big bulls, likely will reduce the hunt to small bulls and cows.
Certainly is bad news and I feel sorry for the outfitters who have their life savings in their business, just got to be tough.
Guess we will keep our fingers crossed something changes, but it doesn't look good.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Spike

Default bou hunt

Originally Posted by bjess
This news certainly makes me want to wait and see what happens before I book a hunt this year, just might consider going after something else this year.
What are they going to do with all the guys who have already booked prior to Dec. 1, are they going to give them refunds or book up the first couple weeks of Dec.
Then the fact that you can only shoot animals with antlers that late just about eliminates getting any big bulls, likely will reduce the hunt to small bulls and cows.
Certainly is bad news and I feel sorry for the outfitters who have their life savings in their business, just got to be tough.
Guess we will keep our fingers crossed something changes, but it doesn't look good.
Hi all, just talked to the outfitter tonite and he said that all the outfitter were having a meeting with the MNR on tuesday, he said that they were going to try and get things change back for this year if they can, even if they can only get half the permits this year.so when i hear anything i will let you know. As for getting your deposit back it did not sound good from what i heard so far.camp kiskimaastakin did not take any deposit, so keep fingers crossed.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:09 PM
pjd
Spike

Default good news for bou hunters

just got this email from Nouchimi Outfitters looks like the hunt dates will start on Nov. 15 read on
Herds of caribou in the Nord-du-Québec - Minister SIMARD Announces precautionary measures for the GEORGE River HERD
Quebec, March 18, 2011 /CNW Telbec /-the Minister delegate for natural resources and wildlife, Mr. Serge Simard announces the implementation, as soon as the next hunting season of precautionary measures for the tundra of the George River caribou herd.
The survey, conducted in the summer 2010 confirmed that the herd had only 74 000 animals and it is in decline. "For the responsible management of this species, the State of current situation requires that decisions are taken and requires the implementation of concrete measures", said Minister Simard.
Thus, for the George River herd, the following measures will be implemented as early as the 2011-2012 season:
·50% reduction in the number of permits sold by Outfitters from 2009;
·subdivision to 67e meridian of zone 23 in a western part and a part is to separately manage the George River herd and of the leaf River;
·closure of sport hunting in the southern part of the area 23;
·restriction in the area 24 of sport hunting in the activities of outfitting existing in this area;
·reduction of the current hunting period (1er August to October 31) for a period extending from 15 August to October 2, 2011, for the part is zone 23;
·Subject to biological data collected in 2011 - 2012, is expected to close in 2012-2013, in part sport hunting is zone 23 and in the area 24
The leaf River herd
Moreover, in respect to the leaf River herd, Mr. Simard indicates that hunting periods announced by press release February 25 will be adjusted to facilitate the transport and the home of the hunters and provide better access to the practice of hunting. For areas 22A and 22B, the hunting period will extend from November 15, 2011 to January 15, 2012. Western part of the 23 area, the hunting period will run from 15 August to October 2, 2011.
Minister Simard recalls that "the tundra of Northern Quebec caribou can only reach population levels higher without the cooperation of all stakeholders." It is through the implementation of the measures having a substantial effect on the levy by sport hunting and by uniting our efforts that we can ensure the sustainability of this important wildlife species for the whole of the population of Quebec. For 2012-2013, all of these measures will be revised based on biological monitoring and harvest. »
These decisions take support on the search for a balance between the sustainability of the resource, the mode of life of Aboriginal people, the expectations of the hunters and those of the outfitting industry.
Source:
Jack Roy
Press Attaché
Office of the Minister
Old 03-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bjess
Talk to mirage they said anybody who made a reservation and gave a deposit will get two Caribou tags.everyone else will not get a tag looks like I am boy hunting
Old 03-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Spike

Default 2011 bou hunt

Originally Posted by beardog 836
Talk to mirage they said anybody who made a reservation and gave a deposit will get two Caribou tags.everyone else will not get a tag looks like I am boy hunting
camp kiskimaastakin called me today and the bou hunt will go on, there will be a cut in permits but will still get two tags per hunter, want more info email me or call me, get # from classifieds.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Spike

Default European Mount

I'm new to Caribou hunting in Quebec and have the follwong question. With the CWD debate on the table for Caribou, how are hunters bringing caribou heads through Ontario and into the States that they want to do a European Mount on? My understanding is that as long as they are packaged that there is not a problem with deboned meat and hides.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Spike

You can bring a whole animal back through Ontario (bone in) you just have to wrap it up so no fluids are dripping on ground.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Spike

Default bou

Originally Posted by CNYSportsman
I'm new to Caribou hunting in Quebec and have the follwong question. With the CWD debate on the table for Caribou, how are hunters bringing caribou heads through Ontario and into the States that they want to do a European Mount on? My understanding is that as long as they are packaged that there is not a problem with deboned meat and hides.
HI, you can bring back your bou but they must be covert up or put in a container so no blood gets on the ground, we had no trouble last year but they just started to inforce the law so they were overlooking as long as you were just passing through, if you go up this year you should check to make sure of the law before you go its up to you to know the law , and might i add it could be the last year to go if the MDR finds that the herd is not doing good!! that was from the outfitter i hunt with, we brought back 6 bou heads, but hides,feet,capes,ect are also inclued. so be prepared before you go and have a great time, if you are hunting the winter hunts go the first 3to4 weeks of the hunt, best time to get a bou with antlers, and new law can't shoot anterless bou anymore. LETS GO BOU HUNTING!!

Last edited by huntcaribou; 03-26-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: SPELLING
Old 03-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Spike

I checked the New York State Hunting Regulations and it appears that animmals from Quebec do not have any restrictions for bringing in to New York Sate. Am I interpreting that correctly.

I'm actually booked with a group of 6 for Jan 15-18 at Mirage. According to other members comments find horns on bulls should be no problem if the caribou are in the area.

I hope the experience is good and if I'm lucky get a European Mount for my bull or bulls.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Spike

CNY Sportsman, please check your dates for the hunt, you have noted Jan 15-18, if you read the Post from pjd, the season closes on Jan 15.
Hope this was a mis print, gook luck hunting

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.