Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 10-25-2004, 08:18 AM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

How far is the hunting area from Ste. St. Marie, Michigan?

Thanks,
mullis56
Old 10-25-2004, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

As the caribou move further south the zone's boundary and the road will be visible. Give it another week and you should start to see it on the map. Yes that group in the middle is going to be within range when the season kicks in. Your dates are a little early. If you go back to my original posts you wil see I recomend the last part of November as best. Realize also that each dot on this satellite picture is only 1 animal with a collar. The herd is @ 1 million animals strong in Quebec. It is merely a guide to show people the general movement of the herds. Early in the season the herds tend to be smaller (so there are more herds) than later on when a single herd can have thousands. On my first trip we had to park the trucks for 40 minutes to let a herd pour across the road non stop. The game wardens watched us and later told us that particular herd was being tracked and estimated at over 3000 head.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is around a 24hr drive from Toronto Ontario.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

rrules,
Its too early to judge how it will be on your dates (Nov14-18). The herds can move a couple hundred miles a week and change things drastically. Last time I got nervous as they seemed to hang around too far north as we had to leave and by the time we got there they were everywhere!!! As for deicing a rifle we never had any issues, thats mostly for the later hunt (it continues into JAN-FEB). If you get freezing rain make sure you have good scope caps.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:29 PM

Thanks I tried to book later and the first hunt was all they had for this year. So I thought I would give a go. Will get some good caps for the new Leupy.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:31 PM

I am hunting Dec. 2-6. This should be good from what I can tell. Were staying at Radisson on Nov. 30th and at the camp on Dec. 1st. Were planning on leaving from Indiana on the 29th Monday. Is this enough time?
Old 10-25-2004, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mullis56,
I have never stayed in Radisson but friends of mine have and made out OK. Hotels up there live off caribou hunters so tend to treat them well. Not sure how long a drive is from Indiana. But for me from Toronto, Ontario I need about 24 hours to get to Nouchimi. If you are entering Canada around Montreal then deduct around 5 hours from my time. I would suggest you plan on driving during daylight as its safer and you will see some scenery that you would miss in the dark. Don't worry about rushing up there to maximize hunting time, with your dates you will be tripping over caribou.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:20 AM

We'll be tripping is what I hope.....any big bulls left this time of year? Or mountable animals left?
Old 10-26-2004, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes there are plenty of mountable bulls left at that time. Relax, you will have a great time and everybody will come home with 2 bulls and some of the best tasting game meat you can drag out of the bush
Old 10-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Terry is right. There will be plenty of animals. I've been there four times and it is a little different each time. Relax, be patient and enjoy yourself. Be sure to carry your camera with you when hunting. You will have plenty of photo opportunities while waiting for the big bull.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.