Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Hows the shed hunting going? >

Hows the shed hunting going?

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Hows the shed hunting going?

Old 01-23-2004, 10:36 PM

Default Hows the shed hunting going?

hey guys how have you been making out with shed hunting. I found a nice 5x5 set real early around the end of december. I was out feeding the cattle and the horns were laying right beside our bale stack. Then last sunday i found a smaller 4x4 set also by the bale stack. We had around 10-20 deer coming every night up by our bale stack to eat. They were making a real mess of the bales so we sacraficed a 2nd cut alfalfa bale and hauled it back into the bush to back feed them so they leave our stack alone. But we still have a few coming to eat including 2 real nice deer around 160 plus. We are dumping out a bit of oats every few days underneath our hay trailer so the bucks hit their horns on it. No luck yet but hopefully they drop them for me. If they don't drop by the oats i think i'll just follow their trail back to their bedding area and hopefully find them there. Just curious if anyone else has been out yet and how did ya make out?
Old 01-25-2004, 05:50 AM

Default RE: Hows the shed hunting going?

Hiawatha

I believe it will be another week or two here before will even think about shed hunting.
We are a little behind you folk in the west ya know
AL
Old 01-25-2004, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Still a bit early. Was out yesterday for a few hours found a single 5 and a matcher basket 4x4, I managed to bump a few bucks and they were still fully dressed up top(included a big 5x5 mule deer...where was he during draw season) I am sure it will be a week or two till they start dropping around here in groves. A guy I know who lives up in Mayfair found 14 sheds on Friday afternoon, yet my hunting partner shed hunted for 2 days last week and found only 1 matching set off a decent 4x5.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

I won't be do much shed hunting until the snow starts melting. We have a tonne this year and it's really light and fluffy. Seems to snow every couple days.
Not good for finding sheds.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:52 PM

I think its a little bit too early to go here all the bucks i have seen all have there horns. Plus theres like a foot of snow on the ground and with the wind chill its like -40 here. AND I STILL HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL.[:@][:@][:@]
Old 02-07-2004, 10:21 AM

Our shed count is up to 8 now. I haven't had a chance to get out and walk the bedding areas yet cause i'm stuck in university but dad has been finding the odd one around the bale stacks. He saw one of the big bucks the other night and he was still sportin his rack. He also had 3 bucks in with the cattle when he was feeding and he said they all still had the head gear. We have quite a bit of snow now so that doesn't really help the situation either. One more week of school then i have my midterm break. A week off to shed hunt and icefish......i love it.