Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

This rain has been good

Old 08-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default This rain has been good

The rains been driving me crazy because I haven' t stopped mowing the grass yet this year. On the other hand I saw 2 fawns today, still in their spotted pattern, but boy were they big. This could be why my sightings are way off this year, the deer just don' t need to travel too far to find good grazing.

Dan O.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: This rain has been good

The rains been driving me crazy because I haven' t stopped mowing the grass yet this year
How come you mow it? It shouldnt catch on fire? lol You could bag up those clippings& sell it for hay , where they dont have any?
But yep should make nice fat juicy venison & fat -fatter then normal[] ground hogs?
Old 08-18-2003, 04:53 PM

I read a study once that stated that years with high rainfalls had a higher than normal number of book bucks taken. Something about lots of rain being great for highly nutritious food during antler growth. Lets hope their right.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

1eyedfish; I couldn' t even give away my hay field this year. There was too much hay and the beef farmers are ansi about keeping too many cattle over this year with the beef ban.

Dan O.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Beef ban still on? But rain is good But With all that rain do yall get any west nile virus?
a few horses have it here , some birds , a few/2 old ppl just died from it first humans i think in the state.

I do wish more rain would fall here tho- evertime i go to the one lake its down another 5 ft or so.

Old 08-24-2003, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

1eyedfish; the borders are open only for certain slaughtered cattle but the cow-calf operations that ship live cattle are still in trouble. Unfortunately that is most of our production and most will be ready for shipping this fall. You can picture the situation when medium ground beef was $.79 /lb (Can) this week.

West Nile is starting to move into the southern parts of the province from NY and Mich. We' re also taking measures to stop racoon rabies and the ash borer from moving in from the US.

Dan O.