Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
How is the whitetails population in Sask zones 63-64? >

How is the whitetails population in Sask zones 63-64?

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

How is the whitetails population in Sask zones 63-64?

Old 09-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Spike

Default How is the whitetails population in Sask zones 63-64?

I am heading up to candle lake to visit family for 2 weeks in late Nov and would like to get in some hunting and maybe get myself a big whitetail, how are the populations this year? And are those areas nice for hunting whitetails?Also I would like to bait in that area what do you guys think? Or should I just stick to calling and rattling?
Thanks
Elmer
Old 10-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey elmer, the deer around candle are plentiful...too bad its a refuge...lol. Wolf pops and bad winters a few years ago took their tole. Last year moose hunting deer actvity was way down from a couple years previous...moose as well..wolves! According to a couple of outfitters in the area this year is better but not close to what they've enjoyed previous. Fringe areas it seems have rebounded though. If not able to hunt zone 50 then baiting would be your best bet in the forest zones of 63/64 provided they can be established in advance to your hunt. My baiting experience suggests baits should be placed at least 2 weeks in advance to hunting over them. It takes time to get game accustomed to the slop and more often then not your feeding does/young deer. Eventually/timing the mature deer q to the presence of the attractant and that's when you want to be sitting them. The pile needs to stay stocked and a routine some what consistent. Many times when i use to bait/guide I would roll out after stocking, then walk back with wind in my favor & watch deer filter out. Alfalfa hay bed with oats mixed in, IMO/E is the best/cheapest bait to use. Split peas are also excellent however pricey unless you have a in. Barley they love but it's way to hot of feed and they'll lay off it for to long to be really productive. wheat forget about it!

Rattling/calling is a good option in pre rut or peak rut. If your trip will have you here around the middle of nov, then go for it! If post rut...hunt food!

Best of luck, hope you tag a gooder!

PS may not be an issue in nov. but fyi extremely wet this year. This is both good and bad. Good for antler growth, bad for accessability.

Last edited by skeeter 7MM; 10-02-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Spike

Hey elmer, the deer around candle are plentiful...too bad its a refuge...lol. Wolf pops and bad winters a few years ago took their tole. Last year moose hunting deer actvity was way down from a couple years previous...moose as well..wolves! According to a couple of outfitters in the area this year is better but not close to what they've enjoyed previous. Fringe areas it seems have rebounded though. If not able to hunt zone 50 then baiting would be your best bet in the forest zones of 63/64 provided they can be established in advance to your hunt. My baiting experience suggests baits should be placed at least 2 weeks in advance to hunting over them. It takes time to get game accustomed to the slop and more often then not your feeding does/young deer. Eventually/timing the mature deer q to the presence of the attractant and that's when you want to be sitting them. The pile needs to stay stocked and a routine some what consistent. Many times when i use to bait/guide I would roll out after stocking, then walk back with wind in my favor & watch deer filter out. Alfalfa hay bed with oats mixed in, IMO/E is the best/cheapest bait to use. Split peas are also excellent however pricey unless you have a in. Barley they love but it's way to hot of feed and they'll lay off it for to long to be really productive. wheat forget about it!

Rattling/calling is a good option in pre rut or peak rut. If your trip will have you here around the middle of nov, then go for it! If post rut...hunt food!

Best of luck, hope you tag a gooder!

PS may not be an issue in nov. but fyi extremely wet this year. This is both good and bad. Good for antler growth, bad for accessability

Thank you Skeeter for the valuable info espcially about the bait type. I will be there on the 21st of Nov and will stay till Dec 1, I have only 10 days but I will put out the bait soon as I arrive and keep it stocked daily till I decide to hunt it (depends on my game cam). Intersting info on the Barley can you explain?
I will be doing both types of hunts, in zone 50 driving and spotting and pushing bush, and baiting around the reserve as I am staying there, and see which is more succesful.
When is the peak of the rut over there? Are the bucks still chasing does from the 21st and on?
Thank you skeeter and good luck to you, I love reading your guys posts on Sask hunting keep it going!
Elmer
Old 10-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Elmer by hot I mean the release of energy/nutrients stay longer then oats, peas, screenings and hay. Basically they eat too much and get too full..just like we do on turkey day! Lol

Peak rut is around the middle of Nov. The 21st they'll be still cruising but it will be getting closer to the end of cycle #1. Usually around the 25th food/bed becomes of more importance then girls.

Heading out for the afternoon sit..warm but wind is down and too nice to be doing more yard work.

Good Luck
Old 10-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM
Elmer by hot I mean the release of energy/nutrients stay longer then oats, peas, screenings and hay. Basically they eat too much and get too full..just like we do on turkey day! Lol

Peak rut is around the middle of Nov. The 21st they'll be still cruising but it will be getting closer to the end of cycle #1. Usually around the 25th food/bed becomes of more importance then girls.

Heading out for the afternoon sit..warm but wind is down and too nice to be doing more yard work.

Good Luck
Thank you Skeeter, good luck on your sit tonight!!
Elmer
Old 10-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Same to you on your trip out west. My sit was lovely but uneventful: doe, doe and twins followed by a bach. group of young whitetail bucks. The ride home was more eventful almost hit a nice bull moose, blind corner and boom 50"er pops up onto the road. Moose are dang near everywhere in this province now. I do enjoy seeing them but not 20 feet in my headlights on a grid road after sliding to a halt in the pitch dark.

May be heading up that way next weekend for reg. season moose. My dentist has a moose tag unfilled from archery so in talks about slipping up for a few days to be the caller or maybe I'll buy my own...we'll see. If i do go probably start in 64 north east of candle and if his spot doesn't pan out we'll head over to my honey holes in 63. I ll keep you posted.

Take Care Happy Thanksgiving weekend!

Last edited by skeeter 7MM; 10-07-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM
Same to you on your trip out west. My sit was lovely but uneventful: doe, doe and twins followed by a bach. group of young whitetail bucks. The ride home was more eventful almost hit a nice bull moose, blind corner and boom 50"er pops up onto the road. Moose are dang near everywhere in this province now. I do enjoy seeing them but not 20 feet in my headlights on a grid road after sliding to a halt in the pitch dark.

May be heading up that way next weekend for reg. season moose. My dentist has a moose tag unfilled from archery so in talks about slipping up for a few days to be the caller or maybe I'll buy my own...we'll see. If i do go probably start in 64 north east of candle and if his spot doesn't pan out we'll head over to my honey holes in 63. I ll keep you posted.

Take Care Happy Thanksgiving weekend!
Wow! Those animals are so dangerous if someone is driving to fast and not paying attention , glad to hear you came out of it unscathed as you are one of the lucky ones, Most people dont know about moose and drive to fast in areas where these animals live and some bad accidents happen. They have become plentiful even in zone 50 where I drive around looking for whitetails, especially off highway 120, we see a few all the time and our friends who drive that road tell us where to look out for them.
Anyways Good luck on your Moose hunt in 64 and 63 and let me know if you guys see lots of deer sign and hear or see wolves?
Thank you Skeeter and Happy thanksgiving to you!
Elmer