Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Peru

Old 02-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Spike

Default Peru

Im from Peru and as many people dont know we do not live in dense jungles and hunt for survival. we live in a fairly modern coastal city that is the capital called Lima. In peru there isnt much to hunt apart from deer in the northern dry forests and in the mountains at 2000 meters above seal level then there air some partridge, many pigeons and limited pheasant, then we have wild cows in the mountains from the Spanish conquistadors 3 centuries ago, then in the jungle their are capibaras. In Lima their are about 15 good gun stores and about 5 shooting ranges and normally the big cities have a gun store or two the hunting community isn't really that big as for people who hunt regularly but many farm owners i know have a shotgun to go pigeon hunting sometimes in their farms or when they are invited. One problem with Peru is that the gun laws are very strict as for you cant own an automatic rifles, semiautomatic rifles bought after 1998 cant have a magazine with more than 15 bullets, many calibers are prohibited but exceptions can be made like if you work on a mine or in a dangerous place.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hi dtac,
I understand that in Peru, you have a small sub-species of the white-tailed deer. Got any feral hogs?
The trick is not to convince others about the value of hunting in Peru, but to educate your fellow countrymen, and your government of the value of regulated hunting for managed wildlife.
There's a lot of talk about promoting "sustainable" development or activities (whatever that really means). Managed and regulated hunting is a sustainable activity. Keep it up, and keep us informed.