Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
2009 Canadian Hunting Posts >

2009 Canadian Hunting Posts

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2009 Canadian Hunting Posts

Old 10-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

Sask...I'm hoping this year is mine for a whitetail since I'll be in your old stompin grounds. If not, next year i'll be in touch with you.
My pheasant opener was dissapointing, the snow was very wet and the birds were far & few between. we ended up going to a release site and I got 1 young one, we missed a couple but it was really different. Our old spots that produced without a dog were non existant with a dog. We went again on Sat. and bagged 3 (and should have limited out) and got a pile of ducks. I'm trying something different this Sat. we're off for a goose hunt. Saw a field with tons of geese and luckily my aunt owns it, so I have a bud with decoys and we're going to give her a shot. No pics from this weekend as I'm a little off with the photography this year plus we just aren't having a stellar year. Good luck to all this week!

p.s. got some cool pics of fthe game cam last week
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-pict0099.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-pict0063.jpg  
Old 10-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM
Same too you bobby, best of luck filling your tags and make sure to keep us posted. I picked up a new bow this year due to shoulder problems, went to a 60lb limb bow. Been practicing a lot and am up to max poundage in prep for next months elk hunt. I can't wait to get at her again!
How great your info is!But Can you give some more sample questions and answers.I really want to get more info about this topicIt really useful for me. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JD IN ALBERTA
Sask...I'm hoping this year is mine for a whitetail since I'll be in your old stompin grounds.
Cool! What area are you guys hunting?

The goose hunt sound like fun. Make sure you post some pics.

Nice trail cam photos! I picked mine up the other day, nothing huge on it but got some nice whitetail photos.

Good luck this weekend.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

I PM'd you a while back...take a look at your messages.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry JD, i missed that one. PM sent.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Muddy, foggy but after passing up several buck antelope I cut my tag. I found him in a herd of 30 or so, he had only one real challenger in the group however watching through the spotting no doubt he was the king of this group. They werre grazing on a swathed barley field when I found them and after several minutes of glassing I deceided I needed a closer look at him. With the wind out of the south east it made for a perfect stalk from the north, using the land borders as cover. However it made for slow going & therefor between the time I started the stalk and arrived at the barley field the antelope had deceided they needed to bed down. I couldn't find the buck in the herd at first then I could see he was bedded in the back behind a swath. Unfortunately with at least 40 sets of eyes I was stuck in a waiting game. I also knew it was highly unlikely for me to close the distance on them and I would most likely be taking a long shot. I put the Leica LRF on him and he was 417 yards, then just waited for my opportunity. After what seemed like hours (actually just over an hour only) they arose but he was completely surrounded by antelope and offered no shot. They starting meadnering out into the barley, actually closer to me. It took awhile but finally the buck came clear offering a slight 1/4 away shot and I squeezed one off, the buck collapsed at the shot. I haven't really put a tape on him yet but he is 14 1/2 & 14 3/8" to the tips, he's got decent mass and cutters. Not book but am pretty pleased for what i had seen this year in this zone.

Pic of the 2 antelope bucks, mine is on the right, friend shot the one on the left.

Now deer it's time baby! I saw very few deer yesterday, not sure if it was the day but I was shocked actually. I did see 3 moose though, including this calf..then saw this sign after. Moose were open in many non-tradtional zones through a limited draw for the first time this year and it has been controversial to say the least. Obviously this land owner doesn't agree with SERM on having a moose hunt!
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-2009-antelope.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-no-hunting-sign.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-calf-moose.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-antelope-2009-3.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-2009-antelope-2.jpg  

Old 10-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

Way to go Skeeter!That's a really nice speed goat! I've never hunted them but they've always looked like a fun critter to chase.

good luck trying to get another crack at that big boy.

N.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

Here's my moose guys I got on the 9th

[

Last edited by youngfart; 10-23-2009 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

Nice work Skeeter!! I too have never hunted speed goats but it looks nice, my priority should be in 2 seasons to go for one. Don't scare me by saying you saw few deer I want to see them runnin for the hills when i get out there.
Fart, can't see the pic...try to repost but congrats on the donkey!!

I'm off to soccer right now then in bed for a 4:00am alarmHoping for a cool goose shoot, pics if I get some!!
This was the only bird from last weekend
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-img_0003.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-1.jpg  
Old 10-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys. I really enjoy hunting goats. If you get a chance to hunt them I would as I think they are a blast.

JD don't worry bud I was a long ways away from where you are heading next month. I may head that way next sunday for opening day, if so I ll let you know! Good luck on your goose shoot.

SB good luck with the smokepole.

YF, conrats on the moose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.