Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
2009 Canadian Hunting Posts >

2009 Canadian Hunting Posts

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2009 Canadian Hunting Posts

Old 09-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Typical Buck

Glad to hear things are good with you Sask. It looks likeI'm finally hitting your home grouns. A buddy agreed to take me with him to Sask. this year for whitetails. I'm giddy
I like the pic, what kind of cam did you get? My wife wants to get me one for my birthday next week, I'm looking a the cuddleback 3.0 or the new mpoultrie spy I-45.
One week till bow season!!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

hmmmm...this thread isn't being filled as much as previous years must be a slow season for everyone. Well I'm proud to post my first kill of the year, it's not a buck, but I said the first thing I can get is going in the freezer this year. I did pass up a little forker whitetail the opening friday because I had 2 supplemental tags and didn't want to use my buck tag on a little guy so early. Last Sat was my Grandmothers funeral (Bless her) so I went out by myself on Sunday night for a little reflection. Needless to say there were animals everywhere, 3 mulie bucks bolted as I stepped into my hunting grounds. Then I put a stalk on a few others but the wind was bad so I decided to go to my tree stand as the herd as headed that way. I got in my stand and was nocking an arrow when a coyote walked under me. Drew back and smack! I went down to retrieve my arrow as I had a Lumenok glowing, as I went to look for him (with no bow) I looked back and there was a mulie doe staring at me from 50 yds. I decided to look for him later and got back into my stand, 15 minutes later a doe & 2 fawns came by. I couldn't do it to her wit hthe little ones in tow, so I watched them play around for 10 minutes. Then I hear grunting all around me, I look and I'm surrounded by 7 deer, now I figure 1 of them can get it but no way for me to draw. I think maybe shoot the last one but the wind was bad for a 40 yd shot. I started to tell myself "here we go again, wait and you'll get nothing this year", so I said if anymore come by shoot, not 5 minutes later I hear a grunt, 2 does come by at 30 yds. I drew back and my arrow hit back (aHHH) my rest was off as stepped on it last hunt. She gets knocked over and is hurt. I give her 30 minutes till I go after her. I nock another arrow and look for blood, nothing! Now I'm pissed at myself. I start looking around and walk 10 yds from her in the long grass facing me, I get ready to shoot and she bolts, I make an amazing shot and shes down in 2 bounces. It's hot!! so I get to work and get her home skinned & in the freezer by 11:00. Sorry for the long story but we need some content here anyways
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-1.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-2.jpg  
Old 09-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Way to go JD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn work has kept me from everything thus far. I made the 4hour trek to elk camp in archery only to be heading home the next day due to issues. I finally said .... it and headed up last weekend to meet my partner with the 338wm. He and the others had been up their for the first days for a tale of way to warm and unlucky breaks. Day 1 found me scratching my head on what to do as my honey holes proved to be completely void of any fresh elk sign???? Day 2 I got into some elk several miles south of my normal haunts, this year in our area we could shoot any elk on the 20th, for me this was my day 2! Day 3 started & ended with a bang. Got 3 bulls going in the pre dawn and tried to work towards them or them towards me but in the thick bush of the valley they had a big edge so I moved up to a meadow in hopes my calls might suck something out. At 6:45am heard some spike squeals and after some calling a spiker lay on the hillside. Not the big bull but an elk none the less and he'll be tasty for sure. That evening we headed back to the south and I called out a herd (which included 2 young bulls spiker and 4x4 raghorn), I called the lead cow to within 20 yards before she was dropped to the valley floor. It was discussed before unless he was big it would be a cow or nothing. I wish i could have had more time b/c I enjoy every minute of elk hunting but I am glad with the time I had and thankful for another chance to play/harvest wapiti...streak continues as well. Next up moose, leaving in a week. Followed by lopers then deer! A couple photos hopefully.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-sept-elk-09-002.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-sept-elk-09-003.jpg  

Last edited by skeeter 7MM; 09-24-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

Way to go skeet!! sounds like you had a good time even if it wasn't the best weather. I'm hoping for an Elk Sat.
Here's a few pics from my cousins game cam under my tree stand.
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-1.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-0.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-2.jpg  
Old 09-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

here's a few from a buddys cam at his home quarter...
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-3.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-4.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-5.jpg  
Old 09-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Best of luck JD this weekend. I figure he'd do next week...refering to the pic of your moose...lol.

Sounds like the weather is turning a bit next week. Where we are headed calling for a day of rain to haul and set up camp in, wouldn't be moose hunting without mother nature dealing some trump cards. Though does sounds like we'll be seeing the first frosts of the fall, always good for rutting & calling moose. Come hell or high water I'll be in moose country weds, no cell coverage..excellent. Moose will be a bonus
Old 09-26-2009, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice doe JD! Congrats. The doe up there are the size of an average buck down here in Pa. Glad to hear you and your little one are feeling better JD. Great news!

I will have to wait until maybe next season to hit the Bow Zone again. I opted to pay my truck off 2 years early (interest) instead of an Alberta hunt. The economy made me do it. Tuff choice!
Old 09-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

God luck Skeeter!

Early, good to hear no truck payments but too bad about not coming up this year. It probably costs $5000 or so and with the dollar the way it is & the economy in the dumps I can't blame you. Good luck on the local deer!

No luck for me today, way too hot in the am and didn't hear an elk for miles. Went tp put the trail cam in a new area inthe afternoon and didn't hunt the evening.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks JD. Same to you!!

Early, good to hear from you again. Tough desicion I'm sure, best fo luck on your season. Keep us posted!!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

So I went out for an evening hunt tonight and pull the card from my cousins camera since he's on his honeymoon. I found it took 300 pics of nothing but there are a few with animals I'll post. After deciding to move it I figured I would spend the last hour up on my stand. As I'm climbing up, my gatorade falls to the ground and bursts open. Next to my bow that's all I want up there with me Anyhow after about 30 minutes a doe mulie comes by, wanders around for a bit, then starts to look at my tree and lick it's lips & snout. The thing comes back and starts drinking it!! This is no lie, I started taking video since I figured no one would believe me, man was I laughing, what a way to "bait deer". Anyhow I let her pass and another cam by 10 mins later. My mulie tag is full so unless it's a whitetail I'm not shooting. Started raining tonight so I'm not sure about going tomorrow, plus it's the wife & sons b-day. It was a fun couple of hours for sure...Here's a few pics from the trail camera.
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-1.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-2.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-3.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-4.jpg   2009 Canadian Hunting Posts-5.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.