Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Unregistered

Old 01-05-2003, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Unregistered

So the new year is here and there have been 2 shootings in the paper that I've read about. One was the accident with the .22 rifle and the other was where the girl shot her brother with a handgun. In both cases the big news buzz word now is UNREGISTERED. Registration would have made no difference in these cases but the press is jumping on the government bandwagon. Somehow I don't think the little girl's 22 year old brother, who stored his loaded hand gun in his dresser was the type who would register a gun.

Dan O.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:07 AM

Default RE: Unregistered

Yep there was a shooting in Windsor last week, guy blew his foot off then shot another guy in the legs with a 12 gauge, also unregisterred!

Now if this stupid liberal government gets re-elected, I will have absolutely no faith in my fellow citizens! If we ever go to war, I want to fight shoulder to shoulder with an American!
Old 01-06-2003, 04:00 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-06-2003, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good point lazyarcher. I just hope the government doesn't use it as an excuse to expand/enforce the registry and begin confiscation. I also hope the public sees it as you do.

Dan O.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

I think one has to make the distinction between guns made for recreation (i.e.hunting, target shooting) and guns made for killing people. The loaded handgun used in the dead of the Toronto child was manufactured and probably bought for the purpose of killing humans, which it did quite effectively. I think if we support the banning of this type of weapon we will find common ground with many members of the anti-gun lobby and gain more credibility. This can only benefit the cause of responsible sportsman and marksman. To fight for the right to bear any type of gun will put us in the same league as Charlton Heston, who is looking more ridiculous every day.
I know there are many who disagree with my views on this but as a physician (and gun owner) who looks after these people when they arrive half dead I'm a little biased.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:08 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Doc, what has Charlton Heston done latley that makes him look ridiculous?

Old 01-09-2003, 07:27 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

I think we all agree that criminals and other social parasites will never register their guns, store them safely or even take a firearm safety course. So how do we prevent killings like we see in Toronto every year? Make it very difficult or impossible to obtain handguns and other weapons designed solely for killing people. Countries that have done this (basically every developed country in the world except the USA) have extremely low rates of firearm deaths. It shouldn't really matter how many hunting rifles I own, only that I have demonstrated an ability to store and use them safely and that I am willing to take responsibility for them.
The current registry is poorly designed. But is unrestricted access to all types of weaponry the best alternative? Tougher jail terms for criminals is not the answer. If that were the case, than states like Texas should be very safe places to live!
I'm open for suggestions
Old 01-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think borealboy's thoughts are what the government has been doing to some extent. Handguns are restricted weapons. Our ordinary FAC can't purchase them. They are supposed to be locked in cases and only transported to known locations for use. Unfortunately the controls have gone about as far as you can go without totally banning them. I don't think that banning the legal users will lower the criminal effect and we will have only set a precident for banning other firearms.

Borealboy; I know where you're coming from. We Canadians try to go half way or better to help solve problems. Unfortunately; I think this one is more like putting a line in the sand and refusing to go over it.

In your part of the woods I would have thought that most of the gunshot wounds would have been from rifles? My daughter goes to Lakehead and I worked a summer near Minaki so that was my impression. I didn't think you had a concealed gun problem?

Dan O.

Old 01-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.