Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Anybody hunt Deer in Australia >

Anybody hunt Deer in Australia

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Anybody hunt Deer in Australia

Old 08-11-2007, 04:02 AM

Default Anybody hunt Deer in Australia

G'day im from down under and going on a deerhunt in the next school holidays with my mate up at a place called mururundi, new south wales.
Just curious if theres any other aussie deer hunters out there?

james
Old 08-11-2007, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anybody hunt Deer in Australia

I am now back in Alberta Canada, but I spent last year in Griffith NSW. I wish I could have done some deer hunting but could not arrange it. I did a lot of reading in Hunting mags. about deer in Aus. I event started the process of getting a firearms licence but fave up on it.

Good luck to you and post up some pics of your hunt. What type of "deer" are you going to be after?

Robin in Rocky
Old 08-17-2007, 01:25 AM

yer sorry bout the late post but i just found out that there will be red deer and mule deer. the australian firearm license is so restrictive since the port arthur massacre. griffith isnt a bad place, passed through it a few times and liked it. what sort of hunting did you here?
Old 08-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

The only hunting I got to do was "on the sly". I went out with a couple of mates on a night time rabbit hunt. We did some shooting at targets before it got dark and I was the best shot among us so they elected me the shooter. I believe I took 12 rabbits with 15 head-shots. Some were pretty small but they were the best eating.

Another night I held the spotlight for a "buddie" who hated me calling him a "buddie". He was shooting roos on his farm.

If I could have got the *^%$# permits sorted out and got ahold of a rifle, I would have done some ferral shooting. Fox and cats and goats. I talked to a fellow who had been to vist one of his friends and they shot some deer but no one knew how to gut them and take care of the meat so they just left them. I told him I knew how tocare for the meat andget great venison from deer. Never got a chance to go with him. Another fellow told me he knew a rice farmer who sometimes shot ducks in his rice paddocks. But the guy did not want to give it a go because he said that brown snakes liked to live in the same rice fields,

Reddeer are similar to the Elk we have in Canada. The bulls do a lot of calling and fighting during the breeding season. Not sure if the Ausie reddeer have a seasonal "rut" though.

I knew there were a number of different deer in Aus. but didn't know Mule deer were among them.

Have a great hunt.

Robin in Rocky