2008 Canadian Whitetails >

2008 Canadian Whitetails

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2008 Canadian Whitetails

Old 11-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2007 Canadian Whitetails

JD, it was windy my first day. But it was REALLY windy my second day. At that point, I was glad it wasn't cold!It was that windy. It remained pretty calm the rest of my hunt. I thought 13 bucks was pretty good for the week, don't you? The bottom line is, I had a great hunt reguardless of not killing a buck. Iwill be in the Bow Zone again next year. It's all good!
Old 11-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Typical Buck

Ya I was in my tree stand that brutally windy day and I was glad too. I did realized you need arest in order to use a tree stand with a rifle. 13 bucks sounds like a good amount to me. Do you stay in the same stand or do you get moved around? And are you in all day?
Old 11-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

Early
I was out again this am and at 8:07, 7 does were making their way towards my stand.I was rubbing my hands saying this is the one,then all of a sudden they bolted and a spike was chasing them. LMAO No luck,oh well that's bow hunting .At 10 I had a5x4 come in under my stand and give me 3 chances at him but I let him walk ,he was only about 130ish but lots of mass. Then at 10:30 a good 4x4 walked into 40 yards but was out of reach due to,to much bush between him and I. He was tall tined and around a 140,then at 11:40 a 3x2 small guy came in saying he wanted to be dead. I didn't have it in me,LOL. Then the winds came up at 12 and I got out of my stand as I was a little under dressed due to the winds. Had wind burn on my face. I'll be back at it again in the morning,temps were -14 at 7am and -4 by noon. But felt like -30
Rocky

Old 11-23-2007, 01:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey all!!! Our trip was good but man did we push snow!! After scouting the fringe areas sunday we decieded to head to the forest monday am to start things off, as the deer just weren't moving like normal. Little did we know the north had much more snow then the fringe and skidoos would have been better then quads to get in!!! However the trip was worth the effort as I was able to hang my moose tag on a 2 year old bull. After dealing with him we made it back to the fringe for an evening sit which produced little. Tuesday awoke to more snow and a dead battery onmy truck[&o]. Though possibly a blessing as it put us a little further down the trails which led to Bill connecting on a 5x5 running a doe. Mid day my partner and I set up in one of my honey holes to try some rattling,to no avail. Though managed to runinto a mature 5x5who was working a scrap whichI let him have the honours on and he made no mistake. Have to admit my mind was on the deer I had seen in the Ml zone. Withthe conditions,loads of meatand mostly my underlying thoughts we deceided to pack up and head for home. All in all besides the 2 that were taken we saw 3 other good bucks in 3 days and a number of younger bucksbetween the 3 of us. Everyone was either working does or trailing.

After 2 full days of trying to figure out my ML Buck it finally happened tonight as the day was coming to an end. We had played cat and mouse on wedsday. Thisam I never seen hide nor hair of him but through some recon found a spot I felt may put me in position provided the wind stayed good. All be darned if i didn't get lucky and put him on the dirt this evening, a couple grunts stopped him allowing me to squeeze one off. 6x5, includes 14 2/8 G2 on the right and 3 other double digit tines, inside spread of 23 3/8", 24" main beams, average mass. Green score 181 5/8, thoughnet160's.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bill with his 5x5.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Me withpards5x5.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

Atta boy Skeeter!! Nice to see a plan come through. Looks like you guy's had a great hunt. It looks like everyone shott theirs outside and you got yours in a garageI thought you were goiong to keep a camera on you from now on?? Anyhow well done, that is definately one you will need to put on the wall (no matter what your wife says!!)
Old 11-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's a GREAT buck skeeter! How far of a shot was it? Did he go far? Field pics? Let's hear the details.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:47 AM

Jeff great buck bud. I am so happy for you that you connected on a specific deer you were hunting. Not many people have the motivation to attempt such a feat. Looks like you guys had a great hunt. Ya snow snow snow, we have about a foot here also. Deer movement here is ok but the numbers are wayyyyy down. everyone in town is talking about it, i guess all of those dead carcasses I found in the spring are begining to hurt now. In all honesty I would estimate a 30-40% winter kill. I have hunted 2 days now and not seen a buck that would go 140. There are a few does around in heat but little bucks chasin them all over. I had 2 bucks put the run on a doe last night by my stand, was quite comical to watch. We just got back from chasin a few bluffs, 1 bluff 35 elk piled out and the other not even a squirrel. Got to get some beaver dams blown here right away then headed out to my stand for my evening hunt. Last day to hunt so will probably stick a doe and be done with it. Good luck to all.... Oh i missed a congrats to JPF on his pig, great buck.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys. Sorry been busier then a hoot owl with work, family and cutting meat. Not to mention the family, my daughter had her first dance competition saturday. Oh forgot took time to partake and watch the annual Grey Cup yesterday. YEAH RIDERS!!!!!! Wasn't purdy but after 17years.....WE'LL TAKE IT!!!!

As far as field pics my camera woes continue[:@]! I am hoping my buddy who lives not far from where I harvested the deer, 35mm ones turn out!! I am hoping to swap my Canon S3 out as it has been a POS! Any suggestions? I would like if possible a larger zoom model!

Early in, I had a blind set up in the South East corner of a alfalfa field. It was were i watched this buck move does on weds though he never got close enough for me to take a comfortable shot. Thursday am due to wind and not wanting to bump the deer in the dark i hand little choice but to setup in the same location and just hope a doe may bring him closer but I never saw squat. Around mid morning the wind picked up and was more favourable to advance into the transition areas. Fromprevious scouting I knew of a small saddle inside the bush that used to be a game trail intersect for the deer moving from the neighbouring property(bedding area). It was my hope the deer were moving through this area on route to the alfalfa/does and being under cover (safety) it may give me an better chance on a the buck. Sign in the area indicated it was still being used so I chose to sit on the SE side of the area as it offered me the best vantage, concealment, wind favorand a little breathing room form the maintravel corridors. The first few hours it was a battle of my mind as I saw nothing. Around 3:00pm the deer started filtering through, doe and fawns, a small yearling group and a couple of young bucks. Just after 4:00pm a single doe came down the trail and I was sure she had my gig but I actually won the stare down and she finally moved on. I remainded ready thinking surely something would be in tow but nothing and started to relax.A rustling sound to the Eastsnapped me back toattention and I sawa bucksluffing along through the brush. It was go time and began bringing the 50 cal ML to my shoulder, he came into view I sawthe kicked out G4 on the right and the ticker skipped a few beats "it's him was ripping through my head". He strolled in staying to N edge, Ishoulder the MLand oncehe cleared the brush just to my right I let out a couple of soft grunts using my voice. He slammed on the brakes35 yards in the opening steading the hairsjust behind the front shoulder and squeezed.The unmistakable sound of the smackof the 250gr barnes bullet rang out. He then disappeared into the brush, I remained motionless for second listening for a crash but nothing. I reloaded, all the while telling myself it was a good hit and he was down but..... I walked over to where I had shotto find hair and then a few specs of blood. Relief to an extend. I checked my watch it was 5:03pm, seemingly getting dark by the second I deceided to give persuit. Within a few yards I had blood on both sides of his trail indicating to me I received a pass thru (exit hole) and no doubt in my mind it was lung blood.Maybe75 yardsdown his trail I saw a wash of blood and he veered to the right where I found him piled up just off his trail. In total no more then 100 yards was covered after the shot, the bullet took out the top portions of both lungs. A quiet moment followed by a few hollers.Not a big bodied deer, I'd guess230-250lb on the hoof. He had been working the rut as he didn't have very much fat left on his body.

Early, to bad about not dropping the string on your pig, sounds like you had a good hunt none the less. We can't control elements and unfortunately we have to play the hand that is dealt...taking the positive and keeping the faith will reward you one day I am sure! I have always felt the rut is either feast or famine, never mind adding weather. This is the first buck i have taken in a longtime near the peak of the rut and I feel pretty lucky to have done so, basically a blip on the radar in my way of thinking. Though just something about that time of year that makes us hunters try to get after whitetails[8D]! Best of luck and I commend you on your pursuit of canadian whitetails with the bow!!

JD, sounds like you had opportunites which is better then see nothing. You will connect so remain positive, dust it off and go get ya one. Great pics again[&o]! Cousins buck is some wide, congrats.

Sprokett and Dancongrats another couple fine ontario bucks.

Hia, to bad about the lost archery buck, another nice GW specimen for sure! Hope you had a betterfinish toyour hunt. As far as winter kill I thought from my scouting the cabin area fairedok but apparently not. In talking with some of the landowners they estimate 30-40% didn't make it as well. One mentioned having to haul over 30 carcass out of his hay yard on tha account of not being able to handle the hot feed. Also the wolves have migrated into the area and are having their way with near everything in sight. I was told SHOOT if I saw one, which I never saw in the flesh but did see their footy prints[]! While winter kill undoubtly had an effect on the amount of game we saw I felt the weather, moon phase and rut also played factors. It seemed that the deer were moving in the am but not in the evening at all. The bucks we did find with the exception of Billy's right place wrong time buck were all in deep, which isn't the norm.In any regard wedecieded not to fill our anterless tags being the deer were punished last winter and right now looks like this year won't be much better. Nature is cruel and has a way of taking care of itself. Here's hoping the CWD hunt is a flop or we could be a longtime re-living the good ole days!

Must be canadian resident week here, why?? Saskabush is probably huntingthe patch and it's -30 yet again....

Quick Reply: 2008 Canadian Whitetails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.