Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2008 Canadian Whitetails

Old 11-08-2007, 09:11 PM
JPF
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2007 Canadian Whitetails

Hey guys,
Finally got my muley, had no luck all bow, and muzzleloader season. ended up with this guy second day of rifle.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

Wow! great deer JPF I loooove the mass. Is the one antler palmated or is it just the angle? Very cool non-typ stuff on that side. Congrats! that's the kind of mulie I dream of shooting. Is there a story to tell?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:45 AM
JPF
Fork Horn

Saska, no palmation just the angle, I'll put up a pic from a different angle.
As for the story, it all happened pretty quick. The previous evening we seen 2 really good bucks, one really wide, which would have outscored this buck, but he wasn't as heavy, and another nice one that was heavy as hell, but not as wide as this one. They were both shooters, but with disappearing light we never got close enough for a shot ( When we first seen them they were well within range, but with it only being the first evening I was being fussy, once they crested the hill to get away from us I had wished I would have pulled the trigger). The next morning we got up and headed to where we seen the 2 good bucks the night before. We kicked up a buck (not overly big)with 5 or 6 does. All the does crested the hill straight away from us, but the little buck had disappeared. My buddy just caught a quick glimpse of antlers disappearing behind a hill to our left. We assumed it was the little buck we kicked up with does, but thought we better get over to that hill just in case. Walked to the top of the hill on saw this guy standing in some buckbrush with a doe. The rest is history.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

That chaps my @$$ saska[:'(]!!!

Congrats JPF on your buck. I love them extra's as well!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm leaving for the EdmontonBow Zone in the morning. I'm PUMPED!!!The weather doesn't look like it will be favorable for good movement next week though.[&o]Much too warm!! [:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]Oh well, I'll still be in one of the best spots on this earth for GIANT whitetails. Maybe I'll get lucky.
Good luck everyone, and JD,lets see some great pics of a HOG!!
Old 11-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Nice muley man! Whats he score? Gotta be inthe 180s... huge congrats! I hope to tag one like that in Taber Alt this year...

I tagged my first BC muley of the year on the 8th as well;

It was about 3pm and I was stuck in heavy Kelowna bridge traffic. I was on my way to a little spot that I hunt with bow and shotgun, as its within city limits. I shot and missed 5 4pts last year with my bow, so I decided due to time limits (season close in 2 days) I would take the shotty.

I was hoping to get a couple hour hunt in, but the traffic was holding me up pretty badly. Before I knew it it was 3:45 by the time I got into my spot. Only just over an hour to hunt...

I posted some pics and mentioned some bucks from off this property earlier inthe year, but due to the nature of the property it acts as a corridor from a couple different mountains. I almost never see the same buck twice as they travel extensively from Kelowna to Vernon sort of direction.

So I get into the area and its just pissing rain with pea soup fog, restricting my vision to only a couple hundred yards. Not a huge disadvantage I think, as its fairly small area that is mostly wooded.

I get to the natural clearing that I want to slowly hunt and park my truck. Start glassing and immediatly pick up rut activity. Off to the left there is a wide three point running what looked like a fawn doe. Another doe in my middle vision and a small two point bedded to my far left. Not bad I think, so I keep glassing before I start hiking.

As my vision returns to the doe in the middle, I notice her acting somewhat uncomfortable. Shes standing there looking in my direction, but not at me. I watch her for a moment, and suddenly pick up a moving tree in the bottom left hand corner of my binos. Wait, thats not a tree, its a bedded buck

Anyways, I watch him but for some bloody reason he just will not turn his head towards me. Hes way too busy smelling the air and being comfortable, bedded next to this hot doe. I watch him for about 5 minutes and only seeing his side angle view, decide hes got decent forks, and its getting close to the end of the season, so lets persue him...

Got out of my truck to immediatly get wet. The rain is coming down hard now, but its good as its real quiet walking. Ive only got a comfortable range to 30 yards so it better damn well be quiet!

After much fussing through some long grasses and moving slowly as to not spook the hot doe I was about 30 yards looking sort of down on the buck. I only had a neck shot which is less than ideal with any firearm, never mind buckshot. I bleated a couple times and on the last bleat he looked somewhat in my direction but gave that nervous head jerk, like he just realized whats goin on. One shot in the neck put him down, he slowly rested his head almost as if he fell asleep.

After quickly loading him I rushed back into town to make my evening class. Damn university.

Anyways, after a decent short hunt I was done skinning him out by about 1am. He scores 165. Now for my region 3 tag, and Alberta/sask hunt!

Doesnt have a ton for mass, he makes up for it in height. Its G2 is a real hefty 22 inches tall!
Old 11-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

By the way, I apoligize for the tongue. I hate leaving it like that, but the pics were in the dark and I didnt notice until I had already skinned him out.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Great Job AG! Very nice buck.

You're off to an awesome start. Good luck on the rest of your hunts.

N.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats AG, nice mulie!

We headed out yesterday to try and fill somne mulie tags and had a great time. Weather was decent but windy and the mulies were starting to stage for the rut which meant they were more visible and led to a few more opps.

Here is a pic recount of the day chasing' donkey ears here in Saskatchewan.(Sorry for the mutliple posts)

#1 Mulie Buck just after daybreak but the horn tag hunters were elsewhere... always the way!

Old 11-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Safety, this one slipped by unscathed but was gracious enough to slow for a pic once he was on safe ground.

Quick Reply: 2008 Canadian Whitetails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.