Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Alberta...

Old 02-09-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Alberta...

Does anyone know anything about Elk hunting around the Abraham Lake area near Banff National Park?
Old 02-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Alberta...

Dan
You talking about the bow zone around Cochrane? I'll be hunting it this season. The only thing I hear about it is getting permission on private land,most is public land though.Seems like the elk know when it's rifle season too cause they tend to head back into the Park, LOL. I'll know more about after the season though, I'll be hunting out of my sister in laws house,so it should be sweet. Big bull country for sure .Checking the area out for 2009 season for my friends coming in from the states that I'm hosting.
Youngfart
Old 02-10-2007, 11:19 AM

YF,
Abraham Lake is 110 miles NW of Cochrane. My buddy is an outfitter over there and he said that this year will be the first year this area has been open. There were 12 tags available to outfitters and he drew two of them. This is supposed to be and archery only area. I'm not quite sure, but I believe it is unit 429 and it boarders the park.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Dan
Sounds like I should be looking into that area also,Did you know if it was only for outfitters that this draw was for because of the low amount of draws available. If it is just opening for the 1st time this season it should be almost a give me. You obviously know their is never a give me or a gaurntee when it comes to Bow hunting.Thanks for the info, I'll be looking into it when the draws are made available at the end of May. My friends are from Wisconsin also.
Youngfart
Old 02-10-2007, 02:36 PM

YF,
I believe it was for outfitters only. Nothing is a gimmie, but it should be a blast. I am pretty fortunate that I have the opportunity to go on this hunt.

Where in WI are your buddies from?
Old 02-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

Dan
There from up around Tomah, when will you be up in Alberta Dan for your Elk hunt, maybe we can hook up for a beer one nite. I've been known to drive quite aways for a bruszki.. Always nice to put a face to a name also.
youngfart
Old 02-10-2007, 10:28 PM

Young,
I live about 1.5 hours north of Tomah in Chippewa Falls. I will be there around Sept 9th. I will be driving from Ontario. When I know the exact dates, I will let you know!

-Dan
Old 02-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

Dan
I'll be hunting the same week also, for 10 days. My buddy's name is Rick Steen from Wisconsin,he's a mod in the Huntingnet chat room. Where in Ontariowillyou be in when you leave? I'm actually from a place called Welland,Ontario. It's next door to NiagaraFalls Canada. Talk to you later .I've taken that drive a few times,my best time was striaght through in 36 hours ,with one stop at a drive through.Good luck[:'(]
Rocky
Old 02-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Typical Buck

Dan
I think youcould betalking about WMU 426 which is on bothsides of Abraham lake (a res. on the North Saskatchewan river) and bordering on the west on the Banff Park boundery.

I don't know what you mean by new special outfitter tags. There have probably been some outfitter allocations there for some time.

There is an archery elk season (no draw required) Aug. 25 to Sept. 16 in the 2006 guide to regulations. And a rifle season Sept. 17 to Nov. 30. (6 point or larger bulls only for both seasons)

Robin in Rocky
Old 02-11-2007, 11:35 PM

Duffy,

I may be mixed up on the exact area. It may not be the Abraham Lake area. I will find out exactly where next time I talk to him.

Quick Reply: Alberta...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.