Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em! >

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Old 07-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Skeeter what ya been up to in the off season? I took my boy to the range for the first time this spring. He loved it!! Thank God

Old 07-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Alberta draw results are on the website boys!

I got early antlered moose but struck out on mulie buck[:@][:@][&o]might have to buy a bow.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Saskabush

Been awhile,good to see you back online,I didn't get any of my draws but still have Antelope to find out in, in August. I was going to head up your way this fall for elk and mulies but have got some family down south that want me to come down and see the antelope and mulies on their property. Also of course their are some good whitetails too.Cousin was saying there are a few mulie monsters hanging out along the creek in his back forty.
He say's nobody bow hunts down their at all so I'm going to take atvantage when I have it. He has 4 sections straight south to the montana border,plus this will give me a chance to scout out the Cypruss hills Elk at the same time. Maybe I'll head up north next year . Always looking for new property to hunt on. Heard the swamp donkeys are a dime a dozen up your way in the Peace Country.
I always thought the Cypruss Hills Elk were only hunted in the National Park. Aparently they are all over down their in #119. Was wondering why the elk draw states Cypruss Hills Ellk in stead of the MMU#. Keep in touch.
Rocky

Old 07-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Yf,

sounds like you have some pretty good access down south. Good luck! the wife and i are currently in collective bargaining over whether or not i should get a bow.

moose should be great. I've never hunted them so i'm pretty pumped to give it a try. sounds like my old man might come out of retirement and come up here with a partner tag.

good luck on your antelope draw.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Typical Buck

Saskabush

Treat the woman well bud and they will give you your way! [],Most of the time they do[:'(], LMAO. Hope you get the bow,it sure opens up the venues you'll have to hunt via the rifle[:@],draws I mean.
Hope the ole man has a heart for excitement ,cause when you call in a big ole bull moose he's liable to soil his pants.Man they can be intimadating,they'll rip small trees out of the ground and stare you down with bloodshot eyes and then charge you and turn at the last available moment to boot! Thats where soiling your pants come in,LMAO.Nothing like a 2000lb animal pissed [:-],believe me,your eyes will be opened wider than this. Adenalin will be pumping at full force,there a ball. Hope you & your dad get drawn,wow I miss my family,can't wait till my grandchild grows up to be my hunting partner.
Heck if your other 1/2 allows the purchase of a bow,maybe we can hook up for some early action next season. Best of luck on your hunts this year and hopefully you will better your whitetail from last year[:@],LOL I doubt it ,but you never know huh! God Bless.
Rocky Alais Youngfart
Old 07-11-2007, 12:06 PM
JPF
Fork Horn

Saskatchewan big game draw results are available online, for all the Saskatchewan boys on here. I drew mulie buck and doe tags for 19
Old 07-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

JD good stuff. Excellent photo and good on you for teaching the boy early!!!

I have been busy with work and family mostly, though have managed to slip in some scouting, shooting and even a little fishing. Getting ramped up for elk/deer. My partner and his boy both were drawn for mulies in an area we found after the season, so pn to spend some time out there in the near future looking for bone. If it looks like it did last year I plan to buy an OTC archery mulie tag. And you??? How's that varmit rig? How many tufts of fur did you collect thus far?

As far as draws, no tags for either antelopeor moose. I got 2 mulie anterless tags though....big suprise.

Saskabush, congrats on the moose draw tag. You'll have a blast and hope dad comes out of retirement to share in the adventure. If hunting near the call, get your hands on a birchbark megaphone and get calling! With a gun cow call is usually enough to buy you a shot on a bull. Though the bull call and having a few tricks up your sleeve is never a bad thing, in the event he hangs up you can coax him the extra steps required. When a shot afford itself don't be suprised to see no reaction from a solid hit to the vitals, cycling another is agood call& if possible putting another in tight doesn't hurteither. They seldom go very far after you disturb the H/L region, it just takes awhile for the beast to realize they are dead on their feet. Just breath and squeeze! Good luck
Old 07-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Skeeter,

My Jim Shockey "Land of the Giants" DVD's have been getting a lot of play lately.Sounds likeol' Pappy is as excited as I am. I don't think he's ever shot a moose, though he tried with his bow a few times. Early draw season runs all of October. Any idea on rut timing? In your experience, when are they most reponsive to calling? Also, are they generally still in the willows and wet areas during the rut or have they moved into the cutblocks (or both)? My only experience with moose has been flying surveys in February so i'm not really sure whereto start looking when the time comes. I'm very fortunate in that I have access to a lot of high-res satellite imagery and GIS layers. I'm hoping to do alot of my "scouting" from my office chair . Hope you don't mind answering a few questions, i'm sure i'll have more as I get closer to the season.

N.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I can't answer to when the rut or call is for your draw zone but IME last week of sept - 1st week in october have been goodfor me here in sask. That said i have successfully called bulls outside these dates as well. If I had to pick the best it would be the first 10 days in october here (lower northern areas at least). My suggestions is being you have some connections ask when the call is prodimant in your draw area. Even though other factors areput into the mix when you can successfully call in a bull the rut happens each and every year and just like whitetails not always does the hunter see the signs or reap from the mating rituals.

Water and rut are like peas n' pot for moose...IME. Willows are always a staple when it comes to moose(if they exist in their main habitat that is).

Study up and if i can be a help I will..drop me an email if I appear AWOL.

Best of luck.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Skeeter,

From what i've been told the first week or so of October is usually pretty good up here. Only two more months...

Looks like old29E is gonna take a real pounding this year. I wonder how many Canadian residents will go after the mulie does. Is that where you pulled your tags? Looks like it was undersubscribed by quite a few.

Quick Reply: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.