Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em! >

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Old 10-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Congrats on the doe Skeeter, and I am sure youll find work. Best of luck!

Not a whole hell of a lot here in BC - been tending my bow area withno luck yet. Am trying to do a spot and stalk with the bow, so it prob wont be easy.
Havent tried rattling yet - I too think I am going to this weekend. Last night sat for three hours for whities - not ONE. Maybe thats why I like to hunt mulies more? lol. Did have around 30-40 turkeys all around me though gobbling away. Man are they big!

haha anyhow, good luck on mules/whites this weekend guys. Ill post if anything great happens.

Like was said above skeet: the bad luck will bring something good - hopfully it comes as a booner!
Too bad on the truck too JD [:'(]
Old 10-25-2006, 01:23 PM
JPF
Fork Horn

I took instrumentation in school and now I work at a medium voltage cable manufacturing plant (General Cable) in Moose Jaw. I live in a small town about 25mins south of Moose Jaw. Not a big fan of living in the city thats why I commute to work, and right now im less than a minute away from hunting, coyotes , deer, upland, migratory.... I had 8 muleys eating off my apple tree the other night.

I'm on here all the time reading your posts, but don't post alot myself. Now you know a bit about me, and i'll try and keeps you guys up to date on my season aswell.

So far this year, I've been playing with the bow a little, looking for a mulie, been well within range of lots of does and some average bucks. I use the meat if I have it but I don't need it ( as I still have mulie doe and whitetail tag) so I let the little ones walk and will try for them when there bigger.

As of late I've been out with the muzzle loader trying to find a good whitetail, seen some descent bucks (150ish) but nothing worth pulling the trigger over yet. Also been calling coyotes and hunting upland. This last week of muzzle loader my time will be spent with my little bro trying to find him a goodmulie buck (he was drawn in 19). On that note, has anyone ever rattled or called in mulies? I've never tried before and was wondering if anyone else has ever tried there luck
Old 10-25-2006, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well right now I'm a dad,husband, brother (in law), uncle...and I guesson paid leave. I have spent the majority of my real jobs working in Sales and Marketingwith aBusiness Admin degree. Before my realjobs (aka getting hitched)I was aguidefor fishing and hunting. My current position for the past couple years (use that term lightly) Strategic Accounts Manager, baiscallyI worked with the localsales rep.at finding ways to implement new technology to hospital's other then via a capital expenditures.

Thanks fellas for the words of encouragement.

JPF, weren't you heading out for elk this year? If so how did you guys make out? Sounds like a nice setup best of luck this season. As to rattling mulies to be honestI haven't had a lot of success, however the different terrain in which they inhabit and nature of them running in groups might have a lot to due with success rates. I had some luck in the more wooded areas with spar rattling, basically nothing more than a curiosity response.

Where abouts are you hunting in Zone 19? Did some hunting with the Ward's(went toUniversity with Art)from chaplin area, mostly lopes but did a few mulie hunts as well. That is some wide open country, we did a lot of glassing with spot and stalk the prodominant method used. Any way good luck to you and your bro.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

AG...trade yeah I am really starting to hatedonkey eareddeer. Whitetails aremore enjoyable to meit just takes every 4 or so year to be reminded of that fact.

Forgot best of luck
Old 10-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

JPF...I've had some success rattling in mulies, wierd thing is I wasrattling for whitetails! Funny how when you don't have a tag they come sauntering in. Any time I've actually tried to rattle in a mulie, it's been about 1/100 times it's worked. Just once[:@]but he came bolting in ready to fight...never gave me a good shot with the bow. I'll see if I can build up my stats this Friday & Sat.
Skeeter...why did you stop guiding? I debate doing it some days but I've talked to a few guy's who said don't turn your hoby into a job, you'll end up hating it. I can see their point, but I sure would love to be in the field alot more than just a few weekends a year.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

JD, thought maybe doing something with my life/degree, being around and something a little more steady was a good thing( with a wife,eventually start a family, etc). An opportunity arose, I took it and the rest is history. It was draining and hard to put your own hunts on hold, as time is very limited but I enjoyed it emensely and met some great people along the way.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

Forgot to post about me!

Am in fourth year of my Business Admin Degree.
General contract single family homes on the side (on my third and fourth at the moment)
Been with my girlfriend for four years, no plans of marriage as of yet.
Love hunting, and business, and.... well hunting?
Travelling is great too.

Dont think im missing anything - not used to writing 'personal ads' lmao!
Old 10-25-2006, 04:45 PM
JPF
Fork Horn

Skeeter:I did go elk hunting this year but it was a bust. We were up around Greenwater Park and it rained 7 inches before opening day. We had permission on a good chunk of land north of the park but didnt see any bulls, just cows and calves. We hunt southern part of 19, I live 10 miles away from the 'dirt hills', they have big deep coulees, lotsa trees and bush. Also do some hunting around old wives lake, my buddy has a ranch out there, he always seems to find a big mulie out there, him and his dad both have 190 net typicals on there wall, they drawn this year aswell, and have a 195 gross\ 175 net typical down.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

I'm a Biological Technician, primarily doing fisheries work in NW Alberta. I love my job.

I grew up in Saskatoon and moved to Lloydminster/ Vermilion 3 years ago for school. After school, I took a year off to try my hand at guiding spring bear, waterfowl and whitetail. I loved guiding but opted for something a little more stable. This past summer I got married and moved to Peace River with my wife. This is my first year as an Alberta resident hunter which is great only i miss hunting in Sask.

Here's a few pictures of "work"

Old 10-26-2006, 12:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

JPF, I don't know 19 to well being a rider i do know we spent more time north of #1 as that is where the farm is, etc. Sounds like you got a nice spot for mulie, once again good luck. Coulees, ahthat's what is missing with hunting mulies up here. Yeah it was a wet weekend before elk opened but the rest was good. Anycalling going on over that way when you were there? Tough luck but at least you saw elk, looking on the bright side of things.

Cool pics saskabush, looks like you enjoy your job. Congrats on getting married.

Quick Reply: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.