Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em! >

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Old 10-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Best of luck to all heading out and happy turkey weekend. Be safe,it'll be a busy one out there!!
Old 10-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

AIIIGHT!!! Same to you Skeeter...I'm off to try & shoot an elusive mulie buck with the bow again. Getting tired of not pulling the bow back. Ah well, a guy could be working this weekend[:'(]Like I'm supposed to. Good thing my boss understands that if I don't get out hunting...the office is a bad place to be the next week. Good luck to all heading out this weekend!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was wondering why there are more deer in Saskatchewan than in Alberta and they are next to each other? [8D]They seem to have very similar habitats.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

I think deer numbers in Manitoba, Sask, Alberta, and BC are all very comparable - it just depends upon the terrain they inhabit.

BC is like 95% forested, and you dont see anywhere near as many deer as you do in a day in Sask. but that doesnt mean they arent there, they are just in the trees
Old 10-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Both are awesome habitat for deer to thrive, though saskatchewan has more geographical deer area than alberta(ie: no mountains here), less population/land developmentsandless pressurewhich may all lead to larger deer herds. Whitetails and mule deer thrive in much of the province, though mule deer have really exploded in the recent decade. Wasn't to long ago when you where drawn for mule deer you were heading south to hunt, now you can literally head in all directions of my home (s'toon) and find them in good to great numbers.I think our whitetail population in the central to southern areas has stabilized as of late. The forest fringe/parkland and lower forest zones have been in a steady upward turn the past 5 or so years. Main reason good winters, more food andless hunting pressure.

Saskatchewan really is a meca for deer, almost all corners hold whitetails(the pre cambian sheild area of the far north is the only exception) and all produce trophy quality deer. As far as B&C deer Albertatends to put more high end deer in the book compared Sask. numbers entered. The sleeper is Manitoba they are climbing in terms of quality of deer being produced.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Holy smokes it feels like deer season now-5 with the WC and calling for a -5 core temp overnight tonight. Single digit highs for most of next week and at this point flurries(snow)on nextweekend are projected!!!

Oh next week could be good, should be putting the feed bag on. Our does we took last week werepretty lean in the back fat department..maybe we did them a huge favour not sure they'd make a week of negative temps[8D]!

Old 10-09-2006, 07:01 PM

Back in Brandon tonight with the weekend report. Friday i got home bout 6pm grabbed the 7mm and the girlfriend and headed for the park edge. We were huntin in with my neighbors lamas so that was interesting, we did manage to scope 5 or 6 different bucks withinhalf hournothing huge but some real nice lookin deer. Saturday morning me and bro went goose hunting which was pretty funny, got quite a few ducks a few geese but the flock of 500 plus that was feeding that field friday nightdecided to fly 1 mile over that morning instead of to us. Saturday night they were back on that spot we hunted in the morning, chaps a guys ass but what do ya do. Saturday i scouted for 4 hours walkin in the rain around a section of farmland which has mostly gone back to bush from neglect. Saturday night was papi's birthday parrty so no huntin. Sunday i took the ol lady bikin to help me hang a stand and we ended up spending the majority of that time winching out the quads. Never bothered hangin the stand back in there, will have to wait till it freezes. Monday morning i decided to put a stand on the land i scouted saturday. The spot i found is a sure thing i think. It is a quarter of alfafa with bluffs and sloughs. The east end of the field is solid bush with old grow in logging trails. There is one bluff in the east end with arun that leads east toward the big bush with a noticable deer trail. I followed the trail back only 20 yards and it comes to a wide opening with 2 old cut trails meeting. I popped up a stand and said my prayers. The one logging trail runs north and south 20 yards in from the alfalfa and the other cuts east and dead ends at a slough 100 yards. My thinkin is that the deer will follow those old trails becasue they are well hidden and when they choose to enter the field the will use that run to get to the closest bluff to the west without being seen. I am pumped about that spot hopefully get to bowhunt it friday and saturday. This is the first time i have been able to hunt this field but it has pumped out big bucks for as long as i can remember. A local got a 180 plus off of that land last year, and i know for sure there is one boony there still (seen after season last year) Thats all i got. Hows everyone makin out?

Oh and another thing. Where the hell are all the rubs? I never saw one rub all weekend and i put on some miles looking. I was talking to a few guys around town and they ain't found any yet either. Have you folks been findin much?
Old 10-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like an excellent spot Hia, wish yah best of luck.

Uncle took his son (cousin of mine) out for his first time on the weekend, and he was lucky enough to get a whitetail AND a moose in one day. Lucky IMHO.

As for rubs, I dont know about AB and SK, but in BC I dont see them anywhere this time o fyear usually.

Mulies rut about Nov-7 till Nov-17

Whitetails rut about Nov-15 to Nov 25

I suppose I should start seeing some rubs soon though. I believe our rut times dont coincide with you guys'?

Old 10-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hia and ag sounds like a good weekend!!

As far as rubs I didn't see as many as I expected on thursday, the area is usually trashed. Some smaller ones but nothing shredded like usual. My partner went tonight and filled hisother muledoe tag he saw only 1 mulie buck(spiker), 2 dink whitetails and the rest were women and childern of both varieties(a lot of them I guess). Exact same spoton thursday he saw double digit #'s ofbucks. Is something up or deer aliens again?? I plan to get out this week a few times, i'll report back to my finding in the rub department (btw my favorite buck sign). Iam thinking of going where I boldly was holding off to go, I so want to put down a mulie buck before the end of Oct. Then again maybe I should give the mulies a crack once and then go after some jumper instead...I haven't spend hardly anytime watching my SMZ spot since season got rolling. Or I may really throw a wrench in everything and go out with one of the fellas who didn't fill his moose tagfor saturday.... Wait I got it, shoot a hawg mulie on thursday, sneak in a hunt/scout missionon friday am for whitetails, work, kiss the wife and kidsthen head north and call in a bull on saturday. Oh if life were like that...I wouldn't need VISA

Old 10-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Fork Horn

lmao Skeeter, sounds like a fun weekend!

Had a question for you guys, although I am the one who should proabbly know this answer, I dont.

As residents of Canada, but not of BC, what can you hunt with/without a hunter host here? Like in Sask I can hunt whites without a host or anything, but in Alberta I cant hunt anything without a host, but can hunt whites with a host.

Anyone know?

G'luck to anyone out this week!

Quick Reply: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.