Disgusting Rhinoceros Hunt >

Disgusting Rhinoceros Hunt

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Disgusting Rhinoceros Hunt

Old 01-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Disgusting Rhinoceros Hunt

I just went home over my lunch hour and flipped on the TV and A-Way Outdoors was on. They were on a safari in Africa and had tagged out earlier in the show and were following someone else. The hunt was a "green-hunt" for a Rhino. This is a hunt where the "hunter" shoots the rhino with a dart and then takes a picture and the rhino runs off after the tranquilizer wears off.

Well, to do this hunt, you need to get in under 15 yards for the dart to have any chance of penetrating the thick hide of the rhino. Well, the "hunter" and the "professional hunter" got to within the desired range, and of course the rhino is nervous and decides to charge the "hunter." Well, the rhino is charging that "profesional hunter" shoots the rhino in the face four times and kills it, all the while the camera of course rolling and shows the rhino struggling to continue the charge after the first two shots to the face and the followup shots and whole works.

When the rhino is stopped, the jackass who was the "hunter"is even more thrilled now because his rhino is dead and it was a close encounter. This whole hunt disgusted me so much. Just the basic idea is absurd because of the effective range. Of course the rhino is going to charge. THey have bad eyesight and regulary charge at unknown danger that is close to them since they have nearly 0 predators and little fear. To further aggravate me, at the beginning of the segment, one of the Abbot's, I think it was the idiot younger one, says "Little did John know how bad his hunt was going to go."

I was so shocked at the footage and I thought this was a good topic with the recent post about the proposed ratings for hunting shows. What's everyone think about this kind of hunt in general, and also, about putting such a blunder and outright slaughter on tv.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:58 PM

Default RE: Disgusting Rhinoceros Hunt

well im for if you are gonna kill something eat it thats what bothers me about stupid people just wanting a trophy they kill something and waste it so im with you i think that should not have happend
Old 01-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

I don't agree with the safari hunts either.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:24 PM

Downright idiotic.Why would you risk your life just to get a picture of a rhino?they have plenty in the National Geograghic mags.And then to go so far as having to kill a rhino is totally demented and unethical.That is just my thought.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:46 PM

I think I already read this very story....it was in the dictionary... right next to the word STUPID. [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

Underneath it was this note:

"See also: Friggin Shame"
Old 01-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't agree with the whole darting aspect either. It is a pretty idiotic idea. But at the same time the guy got CHARGED....come on now it had to be killed or the hunter and the PH would have gotten killed. I'm not saying it's alright the way the guy acted after it all went down, but you can't really bash 'em for doing what had to be done at the time. The fact that he had to shoot the rhino in the head was out of nescessity. KILL OR BE KILLED. I understand however that the whole thing could have been avoided had they not even been trying to dart the rhino. So if you look at it from that angle then what happened was wrong, but at the same time what had to be done was done at the time.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowtech,

I agree that once the rhino charged that's what had to be done. I'm at odds with the situation of even being in that position and then acting like Superman after the fact.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I completely agree with you mike.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like someone had a hell of a lot more money than common sense. Why not just go out in the hog lot, find a really ill-tempered sow with a litter of newborn piglets, and tease her with a stick. Then, when she charges, shoot her with a deer slug. At least you would get some bacon out of it.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:04 PM

I woudnt want to be charged by a rhino.

Quick Reply: Disgusting Rhinoceros Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.