Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Bresser Everest 8x42 >

Bresser Everest 8x42

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Bresser Everest 8x42

Old 10-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Default Bresser Everest 8x42

At the beginning of deer/bear season, I posted a topic asking for any feedback on Vortex Vulture 8x56 binoculars. Specifically, I was looking for low light performance in the first 1/2 hour after sunset (legal shooting time in CA). I saw a buck at 23 minutes past sunset and couldn't distinguish if the buck was legal or not with a pair of Swarovski 7x30 Habicht binos.

In the posting that followed, Brad from Optics Camp (HNI vendor) suggested I try a pair of his Bresser Everest 8x42 binos in the field to get a real world idea of how they measured up. Brad said they had ED glass and were very bright in low light. He also said they retail for $220 which made me a little skeptical because of the price point. Brad then said I was not obligated to buy them if I chose not to for any or even no reason whatsoever (a powerful incentive). I agreed to test a pair and had Brad ship them to me.

The binos were well made and seemed pretty solid. They fit my hands well and didn't feel bulky at all (a nice plus). I tested the Bressers during twilight in my backyard with ambient light from the neighbors, on a deer/bear hunt at 6,000 feet elevation in the Yolly Bolly wilderness in Northern CA and in treestand hunting for bear in the El Dorado Forest in N. CA. In each case, I found the Bressers were brighter than my Swarovskis (42mm objective versus 30mm objective does make a difference) and enabled me to see much better in that 1/2 hour of low light after sunset.

We saw a ton of does (no bucks) on the Yolly Bolly hunt and no bears (darn). One thing I noticed quickly and really enjoyed was how quickly I could spot a deer with my eyes and find it in the binos to take a closer look for confirming if it was a buck or doe. The 42mm objective lenses and wide field of view (I believe it's something like 426 feet art 1,000 yards) made a nice difference.

In the Yolly Bolly hunt, I also had the opportunity to test the Bressers during daytime hunting at distances from 100 yards all the way up to 1,000 yards+ (cliff perch overlooking a long drainage). In all instances, the view was bright, sharp and very clear. Although I might wish for greater magnification at 1,000 yard glassing, the view was sharp enough to distinguish small details on branches and rocks (didn't see any game at that distance). I had several buddies hunting with me try the Bressers and they all liked them a lot. One guy even wanted to know where I bought them so he could get a pair.

At the end of the testing period, I chose to buy the binos. I could give you all of the reasons why but it really came down to they work for me. At around a $200 price point with this quality of low light performance, I just couldn't pass them up. I can throw (place) them in a hunting backpack, loan them out to a buddy, leave them in my truck, risk taking them up in a treestand, etc. and not be worried if they get damaged, lost or stolen because I'm only into them for about $200. This means that I will ALWAYS have them with me in the field because I'm not worried about damaging a $2-3K pair of Swarovskis (my dream binos).

I'm posting this because I want to and hopefully it gives a little help to anybody interested in ED glass binos at a very affordable price. These aren't big 3 quality of glass (not that far behind really) but they cost less than a 1/10th of premium big 3 glass. If your binocular budget is lower, there are fewer good choices when you get down to the $200+/- range. IMHO, Bresser is one of them. Good hunting.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CalHunter
At the beginning of deer/bear season, I posted a topic asking for any feedback on Vortex Vulture 8x56 binoculars. Specifically, I was looking for low light performance in the first 1/2 hour after sunset (legal shooting time in CA). I saw a buck at 23 minutes past sunset and couldn't distinguish if the buck was legal or not with a pair of Swarovski 7x30 Habicht binos.

In the posting that followed, Brad from Optics Camp (HNI vendor) suggested I try a pair of his Bresser Everest 8x42 binos in the field to get a real world idea of how they measured up. Brad said they had ED glass and were very bright in low light. He also said they retail for $220 which made me a little skeptical because of the price point. Brad then said I was not obligated to buy them if I chose not to for any or even no reason whatsoever (a powerful incentive). I agreed to test a pair and had Brad ship them to me.

The binos were well made and seemed pretty solid. They fit my hands well and didn't feel bulky at all (a nice plus). I tested the Bressers during twilight in my backyard with ambient light from the neighbors, on a deer/bear hunt at 6,000 feet elevation in the Yolly Bolly wilderness in Northern CA and in treestand hunting for bear in the El Dorado Forest in N. CA. In each case, I found the Bressers were brighter than my Swarovskis (42mm objective versus 30mm objective does make a difference) and enabled me to see much better in that 1/2 hour of low light after sunset.

We saw a ton of does (no bucks) on the Yolly Bolly hunt and no bears (darn). One thing I noticed quickly and really enjoyed was how quickly I could spot a deer with my eyes and find it in the binos to take a closer look for confirming if it was a buck or doe. The 42mm objective lenses and wide field of view (I believe it's something like 426 feet art 1,000 yards) made a nice difference.

In the Yolly Bolly hunt, I also had the opportunity to test the Bressers during daytime hunting at distances from 100 yards all the way up to 1,000 yards+ (cliff perch overlooking a long drainage). In all instances, the view was bright, sharp and very clear. Although I might wish for greater magnification at 1,000 yard glassing, the view was sharp enough to distinguish small details on branches and rocks (didn't see any game at that distance). I had several buddies hunting with me try the Bressers and they all liked them a lot. One guy even wanted to know where I bought them so he could get a pair.

At the end of the testing period, I chose to buy the binos. I could give you all of the reasons why but it really came down to they work for me. At around a $200 price point with this quality of low light performance, I just couldn't pass them up. I can throw (place) them in a hunting backpack, loan them out to a buddy, leave them in my truck, risk taking them up in a treestand, etc. and not be worried if they get damaged, lost or stolen because I'm only into them for about $200. This means that I will ALWAYS have them with me in the field because I'm not worried about damaging a $2-3K pair of Swarovskis (my dream binos).

I'm posting this because I want to and hopefully it gives a little help to anybody interested in ED glass binos at a very affordable price. These aren't big 3 quality of glass (not that far behind really) but they cost less than a 1/10th of premium big 3 glass. If your binocular budget is lower, there are fewer good choices when you get down to the $200+/- range. IMHO, Bresser is one of them. Good hunting.
I kind of felt that a quality set of full size 8x42 would brighten up your world. Once you have used a set of quality Full sized Binos its almost impossible to use a set of compact Binos any longer.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

I am glad that you liked them. If you recall, my recommendation was partially based on that wide field of view, and it looks like it certainly made a difference.