Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
4 Scope Line up Nikon,Minox ZV3 Ziess, Weaver >

4 Scope Line up Nikon,Minox ZV3 Ziess, Weaver

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

4 Scope Line up Nikon,Minox ZV3 Ziess, Weaver

Old 10-09-2013, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default 4 Scope Line up Nikon,Minox ZV3 Ziess, Weaver

So Bow Season was pretty uneventful this weekend and I got in a brand new Minox ZV3 Last weekend to play with so I thought I would do some side by side comparing and reviewing. Please note I am reviewing these from a hunters point of view and not from some scientific point of view. The porpose of the review is not to give a comprehensive review of all the specs nor all the features of the scopes. You are perfectly capable of looking up the specs and raw data on the scopes yourself. This review is intended strickly to eductated potential buyers on the +/- of each scope.

The four scope line up this weekend were the following.

1. Nikon 3x9x40 Buckmaster
2. Minox ZV3 3x9x40
3.Weaver Nitrex one 3x9x42
4. Ziess Conquest 3x9x40

I decided to test these late in the afternoon typically when a hunter would be using them. I started about 45 min before sunset. I used a open field for testing at a range of 100 yards. I picked a tree branch with some distictive features for my point of sight.

First the Buckmaster. First off Buckmasters Finish has never been as good as the rest of the line up. Pretty Meh in comparison. Buckmaster scopes have always been very dependable and click adjustments have always been spot on. No issues there. The Nikon Buckmaster started off looking like it was going to hang with the big boys as clarity was just as good as the rest of the field. As a matter of fact it was clearer in some resects than the Weaver and the Minox especially around the edges. Right around the last few min of legal shooting hours the Nikon starting loosing some of its clarity and I had a hard time making out some of the features in the tree branch that I was focusing in on. With the other scopes in the line up I was still able to see some resolutiion.

Next up was the Minox ZV3. As this was my Newest Scope to try out Obviously I was spending more time playing with it and probably going to give it more review time here. First off I like the eye relief it has 4.0 inches. Its finish is about as boring as it can be. By that I mean its plain jane but very functional. Very evenly coated and proffesionally done. This scope is not going to make your ML a safe queen by sitting on top of it but it is a very functional scope. The adjustment dials are not slotted but hand turned and feel a bit mushy. Not as click positive as the rest of the line up. Time will tell how well this works at the range and holds up over time. The power knob is a bit harder to turn than the rest of the line up but is very managable. It comes in a very attractive box with a set of really crappy plastic lens covers. I do not know why companies that make such a great scope bother to put such cheezy scope covers on their product. Such as life. The optics on this scope are extreamly clear. I would put it right up there with the Ziess Conquest. Not a whole lot of difference here to balk about from my educated eyes. At dark0clock I was still able to make out distict features in the tree branch till we got into the area past legal shooting hours. These scopes are sellling in the Neighborhood of $200 bucks and right now I would rate them as one of the best bargins out there.

The Weaver Nitrex one is on Closeout everywhere for about $99 bucks. You would think for $99 bucks you are not getting much. You would be wrong. Fit and Finish is absoulutly wonderful with the Weaver Nitrex one. Adjustments are click positive with the Weaver and My 3 Weaver Nitrex Ones have held up to the Pounding of .50 cal Muzzloaders over the last couple of years. They are very durable. They only have 3.5 Inch Eye releif which is a turn off for a lot fo folks. But did I mention they are on closeout for $99 bucks.??? So how did they hold up to the testing?? The Weaver Nitrex Holds it own with the line up in terms of Clarity. I am really amazed at how clear all 4 of these scope are. In a side by side comparison argumentivly there is not a whole lot of argument to be made here. Certainly not a lot when it comes to big game hunting. We are not talking Bench Rest Shooting and Varmit Rifles here. The Weaver held up really well in the low light. It was right in there with the Minox.

The Victor of the night of course belong to the Ziess. Of course it did. Its by far my favorite scope. But then again its 4 times the price of Weaver, Twice the Price of Minox and the Nikon Right???

Its clear the Ziess has everyting going for it. The Fit and the finish is a set ahead on all accounts. The clicks on the adjustments are simply positive. I would say it was the clearest of the bunch but if it was it was not by much. Really they were all clear. The Ziess held out the longest into the night. I was able to make out distict features on the branch longer with the Ziess than I was any of the other 3. But then Again not by much.

Things always comes down to personal preference.

The Weaver Nitrex One is a Bargin at $99 Bucks. Clearly a Sleeper deal and a outstanding Value if you can live with 3.5 eye relief.

The Minox ZV3 is by far the Best buy in a Quality optic in the 3x9 class IMHO. If you are on the fence about getting a good scope and do not know where to turn you could sure do a lot worse than $179 bucks.