Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
scope for Browning High Wall B78 >

scope for Browning High Wall B78

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

scope for Browning High Wall B78

Old 03-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default scope for Browning High Wall B78

I'm picking up my new High Wall tomorrow and I have the Leupold bases and rings--the owner of my local gun shop is saying that Burris makes a scope especially for the short magnums--apparently it has a little more length in the rear section of the tube and a longer than normal eyepiece for guns that have a shorter than normal area between the rings or where the rear ring is still forward too much and limits how far back the scope can be mounted--are any of you familiar with this scope or know of any other brands that build a scope with a little more length or have a longer eyepiece? --------- John
Old 03-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

What caliber is it John? Leupold has a new 3X fixed power scope available through their custom shop with a long, straight tube. It's called the "big bore" and is meant for boomers and kickers, and will mount on #1's and similar rifles quite easily. It's in the VXII class I believe, and is less than $400. I'd look into it if I were you.

I've only ever had two Burris scopes and they did not impress me much...sold 'em both. Besides, their CS has had some issues (according to some folks I know).
Old 03-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

It's in 30-06 so I'd need at least enough magnification to utilize what the 30 caliber can do--I'll check on that one you have suggested because it might be what I'm looking for---I've got to tell you, this is some of the finest wood I've seen on anything-I'll have to post some photos of it--I've been told that some of the boys down there where we are moving mostly use H&R's in .444 or 45-70 for the pigs and a number of them have the "pretty rifle " for deer season. I expected a real looker because the used 45-70 I recently bought has very good wood and excellent blueing, but this new one is really something--
Attached Thumbnails scope for Browning High Wall B78-img_2105.jpg  
Old 03-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that's very nice. I've been watching one around here but it wasn't that nice...and I really don't need another 30-06.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Forgive me, but I like them--having a problem, I need to learn how to downsize the shots--
Attached Thumbnails scope for Browning High Wall B78-img_2107.jpg   scope for Browning High Wall B78-img_2109.jpg