Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
$150 scope VS. $800 scope >

$150 scope VS. $800 scope

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

$150 scope VS. $800 scope

Old 10-15-2010, 02:19 AM
Fork Horn

Question $150 scope VS. $800 scope

Whats the difference between a $150 scope and a $800 one ? I see these real nice Nikon's and Luepold's at the Gun store that range from $100-2000. I currently have a Nikon Prostaff $200 on my 30-30. But thinking of getting a longer range rifle.

I mean, what really is the difference ? My does a lot of shooting and he says there is no need for the high dollar scope. is this true ?
I appreciate any input. thanks
Old 10-15-2010, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I went the route of the cheapo Simmons, Tasco, no name scopes for several years and while I did kill a lot of deer with cheaper scopes, I got tires of not being able to see at dusk dark or losing the reticle at dusk dark. I saved up and got a German #4 reticle Zeiss and couldn't be happier. I don't say to buy a Zeiss if you can't afford it, but usually you get what you pay for in scopes. There are a lot of good mid price scopes out there. I got my grandson a Bushnell 4200 Elite that is a great scope.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:28 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by daleintampa
Whats the difference between a $150 scope and a $800 one ? I see these real nice Nikon's and Luepold's at the Gun store that range from $100-2000. I currently have a Nikon Prostaff $200 on my 30-30. But thinking of getting a longer range rifle.

I mean, what really is the difference ? My does a lot of shooting and he says there is no need for the high dollar scope. is this true ?
I appreciate any input. thanks
If you have to track properly, the more expensive scope shine. Clarity is a big one. I validate and test optical filters. Its kinda funny. Your paying for the 5% we call it.

When I buy filters that have a 80% spec rate, they may cost 100dollars/piece. When I buy them that are 90%, price doubles to 200. When I buy them at 95-99%, they got to 400. Its about yield. Is the top end filters worth it? Maybe.

Most hunters will not ultilize the tracking of scopes. They sit and sight em in, and done.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

basically you are paying for glass...the better the glass the better the scope.
also your paying for quality..better parts equal a better scope.
also.. warranty warranty warranty
Old 10-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

There is no substitute for high end optics. Clarity, brightness, tracking and reliability. If you plan to hunt long range tracking is very important, you cannot "hold over" on a target that is 800 yards away you'll need to crank in the MOA needed at long distance. There is absolutly no comparison on the brightness of a low end scope to a high end scope when you are using high magnification. How much scope is needed for hunting Long Distance? A Leupold 8.5x25 is plenty out to 1000 yards. More would be nice but not needed. If you plan to target shoot the more magnification the better. Nightforce goes up to 42 power and maintains good brightness, seeing 6mm holes at 500 yards on paper isn't a problem unless conditions are bad in which case nothing will see them. March has a 60 power scope on the market and recently added a 80 power scope both are real nice and also real expensive. The best thing to do is simply put a cheap scope and a high end scope side by side on equally high magnification and look through both, it will be a very noticable difference. Warranty is a funny thing, Leupold offers one of the best no hassle warrantys on the market, Nightforce only warrants the original owner and March has only a 1 year warranty. I have heard of guys that wern't the original Nnightforce owners sending them back with no problems. I know a few guys that have March scopes but haven't had to send them back so the Jury is still out on Warrenty service with them, although one can only imagine on a $2800 scope warranty on any type of workmanship won't ever be a problem

Last edited by gunnermhr; 10-18-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

I definately appreciate all your inputs. I plan to spend NO more than $500 on a scope. My Nikon Prostaff is real nice I think, But im looking for a little more magnification. out to around 300 yards. Im guessing out to a 16-18 power ? Without keeping you guessing. Im getting a Tikka t3 270 WSM. hoping It will be enough to Pop something at 300 yards.

Last edited by daleintampa; 10-15-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by daleintampa
I definately appreciate all your inputs. I plan to spend NO more than $500 on a scope. My Nikon Prostaff is real nice I think, But im looking for a little more magnification. out to around 300 yards. Im guessing out to a 16-18 power ? Without keeping you guessing. Im getting a Tikka t3 270 WSM. hoping It will be enough to Pop something at 300 yards.
someone could give ya a rifle capable of killing at 1000 yards, dont mean you'll hit anything.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Perfectly stated !!!

"someone could give ya a rifle capable of killing at 1000 yards, dont mean you'll hit anything."
1/2 baked
Old 10-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Spike

Default Scopes

Your gun is only as good as the scope, which is only as good as the mounts.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

Like timber cruiser, I killed several deer and elk with cheap Simmons scopes. They are not as durable and don't seem to stand up. When they go you can't keep them true. I eventually purchased a Leupold Vx III. The brightness and clarity is amazing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.