Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Bsa?

Old 10-06-2010, 05:08 AM
  #1  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
7danny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 309
Default Bsa?

Anybody try BSA scopes? Are they worth a s&^t?

Just seen them advertised and curious.

http://www.bsaoptics.com/
7danny is offline  
Old 10-06-2010, 06:04 AM
  #2  
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 220
Default

JUNK

Buy a brand name scope with a warranty that is worth more then the box that the scope came in.

In this world, there will always be a market for cheap junk as long as the market is driven by price and not by quality.
A reputable gun shop will not even sell a BSA scope.
Mr. Deer Hunter is offline  
Old 10-06-2010, 07:34 AM
  #3  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
7danny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 309
Default

Well you have to wonder. I know back in the day and even some people today think Savage arms is cheap junk, but many people love them. I was just curious how the BSA was.

Do you know it is junk by using/seeing it. Or are you just judging it by price before handling one? Just curious to hear from those who have used one.
7danny is offline  
Old 10-06-2010, 11:28 AM
  #4  
Giant Nontypical
 
Sheridan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location:
Posts: 5,130
Default

Danny,

Buy "anything" that has a lifetime warranty when it comes to optics, unless you can afford to buy it again and again.

Find a manufacture that is willing to stand behind their product.


Good luck in your search for the information you're looking for.
Sheridan is offline  
Old 10-06-2010, 11:41 AM
  #5  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
7danny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 309
Default

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Danny,

Buy "anything" that has a lifetime warranty when it comes to optics, unless you can afford to buy it again and again.

Find a manufacture that is willing to stand behind their product.


Good luck in your search for the information you're looking for.

I can't argue that.
7danny is offline  
Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 PM
  #6  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Warren County NJ USA
Posts: 3,899
Default

BSA is garbage
BOWHUNTERCOP is offline  
Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 PM
  #7  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,519
Default

Originally Posted by 7danny
Well you have to wonder. I know back in the day and even some people today think Savage arms is cheap junk, but many people love them. I was just curious how the BSA was.

Do you know it is junk by using/seeing it. Or are you just judging it by price before handling one? Just curious to hear from those who have used one.
I have no personal experience with owning. However, I have three friends that have tried them. The first friend only likes Tasco scopes and pretty much uses them on everything he has, and he has quite a few guns. He just loves cheap optics. He tried BSA scopes by buying two a few years back. Turns out neither would hold zero right out of the box. He sent them in, and got them back and put them on a .22. His opinion was that he wouldn't ever recommend one and he wouldn't ever put one on anything bigger than a .22. I tend to listen to this, since this man loves scopes that I really don't feel are very good quality. So if he dislikes something, it must really be junk.

The next one will tell you the same thing. He told me to never put one on anything more than a .22 as the one he tried wouldn't stay zeroed. This guy is a big Simmons fan and has several Tasco's too. He thinks anything nicer is just overpriced.

So when guys that normally like optics that I consider pretty crappy say that this scope is bad, I tend to believe them.

The only one I've actually used is a 3rd friend got one for a gift for his .22. He didn't know how to mount a scope or sight it in so I offered to help. His scope held zero, and it worked fine, but after all it was on a .22. That being said, it wasn't all that clear, and I don't see why anyone would buy one. I like the $30 Tasco I've used and the $40 Simmons I've used quite a bit better than they are in the same price range. That being said, I really like the Burris scopes, but they aren't in the same price class.
hometheaterman is offline  
Old 10-06-2010, 04:25 PM
  #8  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
7danny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 309
Default

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I have no personal experience with owning. However, I have three friends that have tried them. The first friend only likes Tasco scopes and pretty much uses them on everything he has, and he has quite a few guns. He just loves cheap optics. He tried BSA scopes by buying two a few years back. Turns out neither would hold zero right out of the box. He sent them in, and got them back and put them on a .22. His opinion was that he wouldn't ever recommend one and he wouldn't ever put one on anything bigger than a .22. I tend to listen to this, since this man loves scopes that I really don't feel are very good quality. So if he dislikes something, it must really be junk.

The next one will tell you the same thing. He told me to never put one on anything more than a .22 as the one he tried wouldn't stay zeroed. This guy is a big Simmons fan and has several Tasco's too. He thinks anything nicer is just overpriced.

So when guys that normally like optics that I consider pretty crappy say that this scope is bad, I tend to believe them.

The only one I've actually used is a 3rd friend got one for a gift for his .22. He didn't know how to mount a scope or sight it in so I offered to help. His scope held zero, and it worked fine, but after all it was on a .22. That being said, it wasn't all that clear, and I don't see why anyone would buy one. I like the $30 Tasco I've used and the $40 Simmons I've used quite a bit better than they are in the same price range. That being said, I really like the Burris scopes, but they aren't in the same price class.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.
7danny is offline  
Old 10-06-2010, 04:46 PM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 220
Default

Tasco went out of business a while back and Bushnell bought them.

Don't ask me why, but they did.

Point being that my Uncle bought a gun once for a cousin of mine and he was too small to shoot it and they found a old Tasco scope laying around and mounted it and had problems getting the adjustment to work - it was sticking when you turned the screws.

They sighted it in and I shot many deer with his rifle before he was big enough to shoot it himself.
Moral of the story is - never look a gift horse in the mouth.

I told them once that if that scope is bad, I wouldn't mind having a couple of them. I never had a problem with it.

The BSA - ho ho ho - had one fall apart on the 4th shot on the same rifle with the same shells that I shot with the TASCO scope.
They didn't even send it back - one of those hunter magazines that offers to sell you junk cheap. They just threw it in the garbage.
Mr. Deer Hunter is offline  
Old 10-06-2010, 09:19 PM
  #10  
Nontypical Buck
 
excalibur43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Licking County, Ohio
Posts: 1,263
Default

You get what you pay for!
excalibur43 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.