Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
minox vs zen ray >

minox vs zen ray

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

minox vs zen ray

Old 02-17-2010, 01:28 AM
pjd
Spike

Default minox vs zen ray

can get minox hg 10x43 br asph for 579.99 0r the zen ray 10x43 ed2 for 423.00, need them for hunting in mi and out west, if not one of these then what for this amount of money ,also how many lens coatings do both of these companys claim to put on
thanks
Old 04-18-2010, 02:49 AM
Spike

I have put tem side to side. I just bought a pair of HG's in 8x33 and Zen Ray ED2 in 7x36 and 10x43. THe Zen rays are back at the store. I was not impressed with the 2 pair I bought. THere was a bad halo effect out of both pair and they were not very clear around the edges. I liked the ergo's of the ZenRay but not the glass. I own a pair of Leica 10x42's. I have a buddy who has a pair of Zen Ray ED2's in 10x43. I compared them side by side on a Mule Deer hunt in Nov. I thought that his pair was pretty imrpessive and I bought myself a pair planning on selling my Leicas. There was no comparison in the two. I was very impressed with the HG's though. I was so impressed with them that I also ordered a pair of 10x52's from Doug. You should buy them, you will not be disappointed. Great glass for the money.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Spike

I just have opposite experience. The clarity and brightness just totally blew the HG away when I took them to compare HG in cabela store. From what I read, the halo affects the first batch of 7x36 binoculars that only affect a very small percentage of people. They have already put in new baffle and design to fix that issue. With the pair I have, I can count at least 6 people I know who have bought the zen binoculars. They are all quite pleased with it.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Spike

You'll have to pry my Minox 10x42's out of my cold, dead hands. I go nowhere without them.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Inside a store is probably the worst place you can compare any optics.