Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
scope for a muzzleloader >

scope for a muzzleloader

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

scope for a muzzleloader

Old 08-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Spike

Default scope for a muzzleloader

I am looking for any help or advise on where to find a a good cheap scope for my muzzleloader. thanks in advanced for all the help.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I read a post by somebody the other day that had a Cabela's Powderhorn muzzleloader he really liked. 3x9x40 with built in drop. At $99.99 it might fit your bill. I'm considering getting a couple. Another plus is that Cabela's is 100% customer service.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

For a muzzleloader, I'd look at a low-power, fixed magnification scope, like a 2.5x or a 4x.

Muzzleloaders generally aren't long range shooters, so higher magnification won't be worth all that much to you. They do kick, however, and the stronger internals of a fixed scope would serve you well.

You can spend < $20 on a fixed scope, or you can spend over $1,000. If you give us a budget, we can give you some more specific recommendations.

Good Luck!

FC
Old 08-27-2009, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by littlehillbill
I am looking for any help or advise on where to find a a good cheap scope for my muzzleloader. thanks in advanced for all the help.

A few years ago I was in the same boat you are in. I did not want to put a lot of money into a scope for my muzzleloader. However, my concern was that muzzleloading season coincides with the rut where I hunt. So I was torn, do I go cheap or do I go in another direction. I wound up picking up a used Leupold from ebay for a very respectable price.

You might also want to check out SWFA's sample list for their demo models and refurbs. I have purchased binoculars from cameraland new york and was very pleased with their prices and customer service. They run specials and also carry some demos and refurbs as well.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:52 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

a bushnell 1.75x4 trophy gets my vote.big field of view on low power and they hold up to hard hunting and hot loads.i own three of them on various M/L so i guess i'm biased....karl
Old 08-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Spike

I still like a 3 X 9 for a muzzleloader, some don't see a use for that high a power scope for a ML but I like to be able to get a good look at a deer before I make my decision to shoot. Sometimes you get a chance to see that deer before he enters range so I like to have that extra power just to know what I am dealing with ahead of time. I have taken deer a little over 200 yards with a 150 gr. load so I am of the opinion the extra power is justified. If you are looking for a good deal on scopes look up Natchez Shooters Supply online they have GREAT deals on scopes. www.natchezss.com
Old 08-29-2009, 03:21 AM
Fork Horn

Nikon Prostaff 2x7 gets my vote...sturdy, decent glass and won't break the bank.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Spike

thanks for all the help.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with a Nikon Omega. I have one on my Endeavor and I absolutely love it!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Spike

X2 on the Nikon Omega. Ample eye relief.