Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Bino's HELP

Old 08-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bino's HELP

I am in the market for a fairly good pair of Bino's I know they can get salty I was looking to spend about $100 something for just glassing out spotting deer at night and in the woods while hunting!Looking for a compact size also! Your help is appreciated also if you can list where you purchased them and how much they were and how much you like or dislike them.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Tim:

You know me.....I'm all about quality for a good price. I understand wanting to save a few bucks (believe me!). But the best advice I could give you is the Nikon ATB's in 8x42. If you peruse some internet sites and forums....you could probably find a slightly used pair for around $200. If this is more than you wanna spend, please just disregard. No harm done. I just think there's a big discrepancy between good and "fair" optics. In this case....you could probably save the extra $$ you'd end up spending down the road.

Again......just trying to help. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best compact's I've seen for the money are Nikon Travelite V. I have them in 8x25. They are an awesome little set of bino's....crystal clear and they run about $95. I've used mine for bowhunting for over 10yrs. They have never let me down and more importantly, never cost me a deer. I personally don't see the need for a high dollar bino, or a bigger set such as 8x42's or bigger unless you are hunting an area where you will glass long range and need a really quality set. For the hunting I do, typically in the woods, or along a field edge - these work great.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Compacts just don't cut it for low light. You need something a little bigger, and I second the Nikon ATB 8x42s. They cost a bit more than $100 but they are great glass for the money.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by RIStrutStopper
Compacts just don't cut it for low light. You need something a little bigger, and I second the Nikon ATB 8x42s. They cost a bit more than $100 but they are great glass for the money.

I third the Nikon ATB 8x42's. Fantastic binoculars.

That said Tim, I've gone through a pile of Bushnells (relatively inexpensive) over the years. The worked wonderfully for a season or two but ultimately I ended up with the Nikons as well.

Here's a comparison shopping and helping out our own:
Old 08-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Spike

i love my vortex 8x50s....lets in lots of light at dusk, but the real bonus is when its rainy/foggy. they are very clear. and about $75-100 cheaper than nikons.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RIStrutStopper
I agree that full size bino's are better in low light, everyone knows that. He asked about compacts around $100...not full size of $300+. I will agree, the 8x42's are awesome bino's...I've used them quite a bit (my dad has a pair). However, I personally like the compacts - and for most of the hunting I do, they suit me just fine. Yes, they cost me a few minutes in the morning and evening, but overall they are a great little bino for the $. If I was in the market for a full size, the 8x42's would get the nod...they are really good, and especially for the $.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I agree that full size bino's are better in low light, everyone knows that. He asked about compacts around $100...not full size of $300+. I will agree, the 8x42's are awesome bino's...I've used them quite a bit (my dad has a pair). However, I personally like the compacts - and for most of the hunting I do, they suit me just fine. Yes, they cost me a few minutes in the morning and evening, but overall they are a great little bino for the $. If I was in the market for a full size, the 8x42's would get the nod...they are really good, and especially for the $.
He did say he wanted to spot deer at night, thats why I made the statement about compacts and low light. If that isn't a concern, then go for the compacts.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

For right at the $100 price point I would suggest either the Leupold Yosemite 8x30s/6x30s, Vortex Raptor/Eagle Optics Raven 6.5x32s or the Bushnell Legend porro 8x42. All offer excellent optics for the money!

I do have some Leupold Cascade porros up on Ebay but they are a little more expensive than you are looking for.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PABowhntr
For right at the $100 price point I would suggest either the Leupold Yosemite 8x30s/6x30s, Vortex Raptor/Eagle Optics Raven 6.5x32s or the Bushnell Legend porro 8x42. All offer excellent optics for the money!

I do have some Leupold Cascade porros up on Ebay but they are a little more expensive than you are looking for.
PA, what are you opinions on the Leupold Cascades? I have heard that they are great optically and very user friendly for the money...however, not from the most trustworthy of sources. I would consider you, to say the least, a little more trustworthy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.