Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Which is optically better??? >

Which is optically better???

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Which is optically better???

Old 12-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Which is optically better???

Looking at getting a pair of Bushnell Legend 8x42 binoculars. I'm leaning toward the porro prism as opposed to the roof prism. I know both of these have fully multi-coated lenses and have the rain guard coating. I also know that the roof prism have the phase correction coating and they are a little lighter and less bulky than the porro prism. But I've heard in the past, (I think) that porro prism binoculars are clearer andmore crisp. And there is a big price difference. The porro's are much cheaper. So which is optically the best???? Thanks, Scott Woody
Old 12-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which is optically better???

While I don't have any personal experience with those two binoculars, in general, porro prism binos will be more accurate from an optical perspective than roofs, expecially at the lower price points. The disadvantage of porros obviously is the size and resistance to he elements compare to roof prism binos.

With thetechnology advancements made in sporting optics such asphase coatings, aspherical lens elements and advanced prism systems, the roof prisms have really closed the gap on the porros at the mid level price points. That is why the for mixed hunting like I do (deer from stands or walking, coyote and turkey hunting that is associated with a lot of walking) the more compact design and water resistance of roof prism binos outweighs all other considerations.