Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Scope for Muzzleloader >

Scope for Muzzleloader

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Scope for Muzzleloader

Old 12-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scope for Muzzleloader

I would like inputs on the scopes I am looking at for my new TC Triumph muzzleloader. I am looking at the Bushnell 3200 Elite w/ firefly reticle, Nikon Prostaff, Nikon Team Primos, Nikon Omega.
Out of these 4, which is the best? Which is the best bang for your buck? I like that the Bush has rainguard as a rainstorm came up from no whereyesterday when I was gun hunting. As I understand it the Team Primos is the Old Monarch and should have better glass. I don't know much about the Omega other than it has the BDC. I will have the opportunity to make 200+ shots where i hunt; but most will be 100-150. Thanks--DrAsus
Old 12-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope for Muzzleloader

If you're going to be shooting those ranges for muzzleloader, you need everything you can get in your favor. Go with the omega with bdc.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:45 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

If you're going to be shooting those ranges for muzzleloader, you need everything you can get in your favor. Go with the omega with bdc.
Yep, I am going to mount an omega to my long range inline this year. Still not sure its a good idea to take a poke at a deer at 200 yards, but well see.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:20 PM

I looked at the Omega scope for my smoke pole, I didn't find the range finder feature worth the extra $$ so I went with the Bushnell 3200 Elite. My .45 T/C Omega will shoot a sabot in a 4" circle up to 150 yards, at 200 yards I could hold over but I don't hunt in areas where there are shot opportunities more than 80-100 yards. The good thing about the Bushnell is they offer a lifetime warranty on all their ELITE scopes, so if it breaks send it back and get a new one no problem.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a used Savage ML 10 with a Elite 4200 that has both "Rain Guard" and "Fire Fly". I found the "Fire Fly" useless. The "Rain Guard" does seem to work very well in the "rain", but not in a heavy fog or very light, near fog like, drizzle. I had never had this model scope before. I did have an old Scope Chief and have used a Bushnell "Banner". I have been a fan of the high end scopes because they work .... though they are pricey these days !!! I toyed with the idea of taking this scope off and putting a Zeiss "Conquest' on the rifle, but was too lazy to do so.

I killed 4 deer with the ML 10 this season. The Elite 4200 scope did fine. Most impressive was a very, very late in the day shot on a nice 4x4. I was using my Swarovski 10x40 binoculars to watch the woods line, near a log-skidder path. I was just about done with enough light for these binos to see detail when I spotted this buck ease up and hold behind a big pine. He held at the edge of the woods road for about 5 minutes, and light was really fading fast. I was on the buck with the Elite when he stepped clear of a big pine that was covering his vitals. Broad side at about 105 yards ... done deal. The scope was plenty bright, and crisp enough and the heavy reticule combined to allow me to take this shot with great confidence. I would recommend this scope to any looking for a good buy. I have a ton more cash in Zeiss, Khales and Swarovski top end scopes. IMHO, the 4200 is not as good as any of these high $$$ ones, but it is darn close !!! I was so pleased that I am going to keep it on the ML for at least another season.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

Of the scopes you list I would rank them in the following order in terms of quality:

Nikon Team Primos - these are last-years Nikon Monarchs, an excellent scope

Bushnell 3200 Elite - Skip the firefly reticle though. I have a 4X12 3200 on my coyote gun and love it. The rainguard feature really works.

Nikon Omega - I personally don't like the big circles. Look at a Burris Fullfield II with a Ballistic reticle. Very good scope for the money and they have been making these scope reticles a long time.

Nikon Prostaff - nota bad scope for 100 bucks actually.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Spike

I second the burris fullfield ll. I have one on my encore and it will hands down outperform the leupold vx-ii that I have on my 06
you can get one off ebay for about $150 give or take. Great scope for the money, forever warrantee.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Omega is a great scope for the money! I have one on one of our Encore Pro Hunters and love it. Theother Encore wears a Swarovski 4-12x50.... but thats takingit to the next level.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any of those scopes would be an excellent choice IMO.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

guess i should update: I bought a Nikon Omega (Nikoplex reticle) from Natchez SS for $149.95!!!!----DrAsus

Quick Reply: Scope for Muzzleloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.