Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Why are aluminum rings and mounts bad? >

Why are aluminum rings and mounts bad?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Why are aluminum rings and mounts bad?

Old 12-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why are aluminum rings and mounts bad?

I've heard guys say that aluminum rings and mounts are junk. However, I'm wondering why. I'm thinking seriously about a set for a muzzle loader. Now I'm just not seeing any that say that fit that aren't aluminum. Well, I saw some that were alloy but they were out of stock.

I'm not seeing the need to spend $60-100 on mounts either when the gun is only costing $100.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why are aluminum rings and mounts bad?

The Alloy rings are likely aluminum alloy.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a good question. I have wondered the same thing myself over the years. However I always bought the steel. I just assumed the steel were better, but that assumption was not based on any facts. Hopefully there is some one here who really knows. My best guess would be that steel can be machined, were the aluminum is probably cast, and IMO machining allows for tighter tolerances?? That is my best guess. Tom.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

MY #1 reason I NEVER use aluminum rings is the ring screws are threaded into the bottom ring (or other side in cases of vertical) and steel screws into aluminum is not a good idea as the ring itself can strip out,sometimes a lot easier than 1 would expect. Aluminum bases such as weaver bases I don't have a problem with but especially since most people really crank the screws down in fear of them coming loose-I've seen hundreds of aluminum rings with screw holes stripped out. And yes,most references to alloy usually are aluminum UNLESS you're talking about a specific type of steel alloy. A lot of people don't realize that ALL types of steel are actually alloys,but steel alloys,not aluminum alloy.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

MY #1 reason I NEVER use aluminum rings is the ring screws are threaded into the bottom ring (or other side in cases of vertical) and steel screws into aluminum is not a good idea as the ring itself can strip out,sometimes a lot easier than 1 would expect. Aluminum bases such as weaver bases I don't have a problem with but especially since most people really crank the screws down in fear of them coming loose-I've seen hundreds of aluminum rings with screw holes stripped out. And yes,most references to alloy usually are aluminum UNLESS you're talking about a specific type of steel alloy. A lot of people don't realize that ALL types of steel are actually alloys,but steel alloys,not aluminum alloy.
Thanks. That makes sense. Exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Do you have any suggestions for a set of decently priced base that will fit a Remignton Genesis? I want to then put see-thru rings on it. I know most guys hate them on here but I've also talked to several that love them so I just have the urge to try them out and see if I like them or not.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I want to then put see-thru rings on it. I know most guys hate them on here but I've also talked to several that love them so I just have the urge to try them out and see if I like them or not.
Aluminum bases and rings are not as strong as steel bases,and using those ridiculously tall see through rings just makes it even easier to knock the scopes zero off.Do yourself a favor and either don't bother with a scope at all,or forget the open sights and mount the scope as low as possible so that you can get a proper cheek position on the stock.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I want to then put see-thru rings on it. I know most guys hate them on here but I've also talked to several that love them so I just have the urge to try them out and see if I like them or not.
Aluminum bases and rings are not as strong as steel bases,and using those ridiculously tall see through rings just makes it even easier to knock the scopes zero off.Do yourself a favor and either don't bother with a scope at all,or forget the open sights and mount the scope as low as possible so that you can get a proper cheek position on the stock.
Well, I was told on this gun to clear it I need to use high rings for the scope so I figured instead of doing that I minus well just go ahead and use see thru ones to try them out. I kind of want open sights to use incase a deer is running. I'd rather have these on my rifle than my muzzle loader but my rifle doesn't have open sights on it. Yet I want a scope for long shots. That's why I'm thinking I want to try them out.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I was told on this gun to clear it I need to use high rings for the scope so I figured instead of doing that I minus well just go ahead and use see thru ones to try them out.
There is a huge difference in height,and strength between standard high rings,and see through mounts.

I kind of want open sights to use incase a deer is running.
A low powered scope is just as quick as open sights for running shots.

Yet I want a scope for long shots.
A variable scope in the 2x7 range will provide for quick close range shots,and precise aiming at any range that you will be using a muzzleloader.

Using see through rings will only result in a scope that is mounted too high to use properly with a stock that will still allow you to use open sights.But seeing as how you seem so anxious to have see through mounts,the best idea might be for you to buy them and find out for yourself why most people don't like them.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with stubblejumper totally. See-thru rings/mounts also offer only a small tunnel to look thru to see the sights. I recently took a WHOLE TUB of see-thru aluminum rings/mounts in that I removed ,long with my aluminum cans for scrap. Please listen to us and don't waste your money/time/bullets/powder and get a good 2x-7x scope,mount it as low as possible,keep it turned down,and you too will discover it's much faster than even "iron" sites. Iron sites automatically cover up 1/2 of the deer-everything below the site. Also,another reason to keep the scope turned down while hunting is if you do see a deer running and determine you have a shot,you'll be able to shoot with both eyes open. I can guarantee the genesis stock WILL be too low for you to be able to use see-thru rings/mounts. You'll have to raise your head plumb up off the stock in order to see thru the scope then,making it extremely awkward to use scope-hell,I'm a "hoghead" and even my cheeks are entirely too thin to use the darn things. I made the exact same mistake when I was 16 years old but quickly changed them out. It's an idea that sounds good on paper but is crap in reality. There's no free ride. However there IS an alternitive-quick release rings.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are the quick release rings any good? Does the scope usually stay in the same place when you release them then put them back on?

Quick Reply: Why are aluminum rings and mounts bad?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.