Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 what scope would you recomend >

what scope would you recomend

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

what scope would you recomend

Old 11-26-2008, 05:12 PM

Default what scope would you recomend

I need to by a good reliable, clear viewing scope. I don't mind spending up to $ 300 I need quality. I hunt harwoods with shots as close as 50-60 feet up to 100 yards, what power of scope would you recomend.

Thanx
Marc
Old 11-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: what scope would you recomend

Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9x40
Old 11-27-2008, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 Timber. The Elite 4200 3-9 X 40 is hard to beat.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I voted Nikon because I love their products. 3-9X40 is all you would need.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Leupold VX-1 which I know is the cheaper model. I'm sure you've read my posts about it. I've had it about a year and a half and it's at Leupold now for repair. This is the 2nd time in that year and a half it's had to be sent in. I have a buddy with one that did the exact same thing I did and had the exact same problem.

I replaced it last year with a Tasco until it came back then I sold it and put the Leupold back on. This year I decided to buy a Burris as a spare scope so had it waiting when the Leupold broke. I put the Burris Fullfield II on and was amazed how much clearer it was. It's like a night and day difference and seems great in all the different light situations including when it's starting to get dark. I can't believe how much I like this scope. I didn't have a clue it would be this nice. Now I can't comment on how it will hold up but so far I love it.

I had a $30 Tasco from Wal-Mart that has lasted about 2 times as long as the Leupold seems to be and it's still going. That 2 times as long is only how much longer it's lasted so far without breaking. It seems just as clear to me as the Leupold and a few friends said it looked clearer to them. I'm not recommending it just saying it did everything the Leupold did just as well and did most things like actually hold up better than the Leupold did and was $30 instead of $220. I think this is a decent scope if you have a very small budget. Not sure if I'd go with this if you have a ton to spend but it does seem to work fine so far, but I still say if you have the money the Burris is a much better option.

The Leupold also had a problem of loosing zero if you bumped it wrong. It didn't stay zereoed much at all since it gets bumped transporting it and what not.

Then I have a Simmons 3x9x32mm Deerfield scope that I do like too. Not sure if it's quite as clear as the Burris or not but it's fairly clear. It has held zero for about 4 years now and still shoots great. I really like this scope to. However, it's on a .22 so it's not on a gun that has lots of recoil.

If I was going to go with a Leupold I'd probably go with. Wait scratch that, I probably wont buy another one. I know I got a cheaper model but it's no reason and I mean no reason a $220 scope should have that many problems no matter what line of scopes it is from a company. It should also not be out preformed by a $30 scope and way outlasted.

However, if I had to get a Leupold knowing what I know now the VX-III is the only and I repeat only one I'd ever consider. That or the old Vari X III or whatever. Everyone on here claims I have soo many problems because I got their lower end of scopes so I wouldn't do that again or even their mid line. However, I also got a low end line from Tasco which is a low end line itself that works great. I also seemed to have everyone recommend the scope I got before I bought it and after these problems I'm getting told it's because I bought the "crappy" low end one. At $220 for a scope it can't be but so low end. A $30 one is low end.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:00 PM

Thanx for the info i will keep that in mind. I agree at $200 that should not happen, I would be made too.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nikon Buckmasters, Leupold VX-II, Burris Fullfield II and Bushnell 3200 would be the minimum! Trashco or Simmons, you are asking for trouble!
Old 11-30-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't overlook the Vortex line in your search, they make very good optics. The Vortex Diamondback can be had for about $200 and imo will beat anything in that price range and has better glass than some scopes costing much more.The clarity and brightness of that scope is amazing for a $200 scope.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nikon Buckmaster for me. I've got one on my .223 and it is probably my favorite scope.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

Not sure what you are putting this on, but when I hear up to 100 yards, I immediately think dot sight. I have a BSA red dot which is ok. I also am thinking about keeping the doorbuster deal Truglo 1 x 30 dual color dot I just picked up. Up to 100 yards does not require expensive. If you want to advance beyond what I propose, I would throw in any of the good 2x or 3x sights out there. The last think I want on an under 200 yard gun is a variable.

100 max = 1x or 2x
150 max = 2x - 4x
200 max = 4x - 6x

Just my opinion. I have made lots of 0 - 350 yard shots with a Weaver(1960's era) 4x scope. I made those shots in the 90's.. Dad's rifle. I never felt cheated, but it was all I knew at the time.

Quick Reply: what scope would you recomend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.