Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 leupold VX-lll >

leupold VX-lll

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

leupold VX-lll

Old 07-06-2008, 04:31 AM

Default RE: leupold VX-lll

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Had a saWORSEki -they suck to me.Alot better light gathering ,and point of impact remaing the same with the Leupold.
On a hunting rig like my 700 the 4.5x14x50 is perfect.Everything above that is for target.
Had a LeuP(Old) scope in fact I bought so many I thought there was nothing better . That is until I looked thru a Saworseski. Ever since then no more Leupolds but Swaro,Kahles,zeiss , S&B and a host of others. It always amazes me that Leupold owners are so defensive of their scopes and slam better scopes. Just Amazing
Wasnt trying to SLAM anybody or any equipment.Just telling the man what to get if he wants the best.Leupold IMO is the best..And I have had them all with the exception of the s&b,I dont care what the name on the side of the scope says,I look at the light gathering capabilities and the ability to keep point of impact the same after going from say -4,5 up tp 14 power and then back down to 4.5 and the point of impact remain the same.And thats Leupold.I guess if you just use a scope to kill something at 100 yards and then put your gun back in its case then the ones you mentioned should be fine.As for me I do alot of target shooting and hunting so I will stick to my Leupolds.
But I will give you props on the( leuP OLd ) that was some funny sheet right there..
Old 07-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto what oldelk said. I'm pretty much only interested in great glass now ... Leupy's are o.k. but not great. Swaro's CS is as good as Leupold to boot. Personally, my Swaro's (2) have been GREAT! Kahles CL (1) also top notch. One day I may even have the $ for a S&B. LOL
Old 07-06-2008, 09:35 AM

Been there-done that..sticking with Leupold
Old 07-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

700 Rem ..If i were a billionaire I would purchase Leupold. These are the changes I would have made to their lineup

[ul][*]VX-II, VX-III and VX-7 would be the only models made[*]I would use better optical glass[*]VX-III and above would have etched reticles[*]They would have fixed eye relief ..which would entail a new erector design[*]They would have a super hard anodized finish and not the soft anodizing they have now[*]I would ditch the Alumina system and put some sort of rainguard on the lenses[/ul]
I know entirely too many people that were Leupold junkies all of a sudden have NF,S&B,Swaro and Zeiss on their rifles. One of them a custom gunsmith from Alabama who swore that Leupold scopes was the second coming now use other brands. This guy specializes in beanfield rifles and long range tactical rifles. In the past few years he has had to return more then his fair share of Leuplods back to Leupold. If they work for you and you have confidence in them then continue using them.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:24 PM

Blue jeans are blue jeans until you put the brand name on them.I have been using leupolds for over 40 years,during which time I have NEVER had to send one back.I did have a friend who had to send back a 6x20 due to a seal.The scope was 7 years old.They sent him a brand new one,no questions asked.I buy things based on how reliable the product is,look at it this way-I dont have a problem carrying a Glock or something of that (so called) quality---but believe me, somewhere I will have something reliable to back me up like a S&W 686.Point being,most people buy products based on the names of products thinking they are getting some TOP QUALITY product becuz of the name on it..when in reality all they are paying for is the name on it.I will put any of my Leupolds up against any other scope out there. Bushnell Elite has rainguard-does that make it a quality scope??? NOPE -dont think so.Your preferences are just different than mine.Go ahead and Pay the extra 600.00 to get the same power scope I have and I will kill the same thing you will at the exact same yardage your scope will -I just paid 700.00 for my scope and you paid 1500.00 for yours,but that deer will never know the difference.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually your not comparing apples with apples. A leupold vx-III cannot compare with a 4200 in the glass department. It does have a slight edge in eye relief and weight and compactness. It also costs more.Your not going to compare a Leupold with the other high end manufacturers are you? YOu can plainly see what our Soldiers are packing in Afghanistan and Iraq and Leupolds used to be the King but no more. BTW check out your optics prices I think some Leupolds are selling for close to 2k these days. That is a definite NOT
Old 07-06-2008, 03:52 PM

Okay,let me break it down for ya this way.The LPS is a great scope,but why spend the extra money when I can do the same thing with a 4.5x14x50.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

So I'm just wondering who else out there can care less about kick, or at what point kick becomes a concern for them? If kick doesn't scare you and accuracy isn't lost, then it becomes at what point, would you simply avoid a larger round for a smaller one to avoid the discomfort? Would you grab your .375 over .416? or .270 over .300mag?
Actually your not comparing apples with apples. A leupold vx-III cannot compare with a 4200 in the glass department. It does have a slight edge in eye relief and weight and compactness. It also costs more.Your not going to compare a Leupold with the other high end manufacturers are you? YOu can plainly see what our Soldiers are packing in Afghanistan and Iraq and Leupolds used to be the King but no more. BTW check out your optics prices I think some Leupolds are selling for close to 2k these days. That is a definite NOT
There are many times I don't agree with OEH but I have to on this one. I like Leupolds and own several but to say they are the best scope made is just an ignorant statement. They don't compare with the ultra high end scopes andthere are several scopes made today that are every bit the equalof Leupold but cost less. The Bushnell Elite 4200 and the Nikon Monarch have, IMO better glass than Leupold, however they cost less.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:01 PM

Somehow I think the both of ya missed the entire point.YES there are better scopes out there----DUH, but why pay for a name when my Leupold will out do the high dollar ones and are what I prefer?? I'm gone..once ya start throwing around terms like IGNORANT-that just tells me your looking for a pissing contest,and I just dont have time for ya at that point.EOS.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Okay,let me break it down for ya this way.The LPS is a great scope,but why spend the extra money when I can do the same thing with a 4.5x14x50.

LPS is not made anymore.
First of all I don't like your tone. There is no need to get defensive and agitated when someone has a differing opinion. That someone(me) also has owned probably every single brand of scope sold in this world and just differs in their opinion from yours. That someone also at his age can darn well tell what good optics are and what bad optics are and whata good value consists of when purchasing optics. WHen I was in my 20's thru my 40's anything with coke bottle lenses would have been good enough. Myeyes were 20/10 at 45 years of age. Now in my 50's I need glasses forreadingand distance correction. I appreciate good optics and will pay for them willingly and as a matter of necessity.

Quick Reply: leupold VX-lll

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.